Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onda V972 vs Ainol Novo9 Firewire

Discussion in 'Tablets' started by Julie1, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there guys,

Looking to buy a new android tablet for christmas. The tablets with the best specs (I think) are these two: Onda V972 and the Novo9 Firewire from Ainol.

Onda V972:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ainol Novo9 Firewire:

[​IMG]

Both have the same Allwinner A31 Quad Core CPU and 8 Core GPU as well as both having a "retina" display at 2048x1536, 2gb Ram, built in WiFi and Wifi Direct, HDMI out , USB port, 4K video decoding etc.

The only difference in specs I can see is that on some sites the Novo seems to have a battery of 10,000mAh whereas the V972 has an 8,000mAh battery (other sites do however list as 8000mAh for the Novo). Also the front camera on the Novo9 is only 0.3 megapixels whereas the V972 is 2 megapixels.

The dimensions for the Onda have been given on the website and are almost identical to the iPad 4 at 242*187.5*9.8mm. The Ainol has only recently been announced as far as I am aware and there are much fewer specs for it at the moment.

If I were to buy a tablet like this from China, where would the best place be to buy it from? I think the official Onda website is onda-tablet.com, but correct me if I am wrong. Apparently you can preorder the V972 from this site tomorrow.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Julie
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone? Christmas I approaching!
  3. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,880
    How much cheaper than a Google Nexus 10 are they?
  4. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The onda is $240 so £150 in the UK and the Ainol is probably about the same.

So under half the price :)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,880
    Good price then...I'd not buy from a chinese seller though. I'd wait until they were available in the UK.
  6. nick789uk

nick789uk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi the onda-tablet.com is not I believe the official onda site but I have used them before and have pre ordered the onda972 off them. Also have used them spemall.com which is also selling the onda I have also used them before and they are quite good but they are dearer in price. Also I do not think that you will be able to buy the Onda or the Nova in the UK anyway not for a long time, if you do buy from China do bare in mind any shipping costs back to China if the tab goes wrong. Did get a tablet replaced with onda-tablet.com but it cost me the postage back, hope this helps.
  7. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    It says that they will pay the return postage on the website? What was wrong with your tablet?
  8. nick789uk

nick789uk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi well that is good new if they will do that, the problem I had was with the Onda vi40 had it about a month and the screen went, sent it back and they changed it no problem, they did pay for the return post i just payed to return it, so cannot grumble at that.
  9. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Are there any disadvantages to buying directly from China & indeed how would you choose (there are so many of them). I have heard the same as Nick that Onda-Tablet.com is not the official website (although I suppose that doesnt really matter). I have also heard that some of these brands are not CE Approved, so if you want them in Europe you have to buy direct & not thru an importer.

Further:

- Is the tablet by default in Chinese
    - Is it easy to get rid of the Chinese preinstalled Apps
    - Are the Google Apps generally preinstalled
    - Do they come with a Chinese Manual only

Apparently there is a person on another forum called motherofallbattles, and he/she imports into the UK, but I cant find the company or any contact details for that person?

Anyone with any experience of the above, please advice....Thx
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Roadstar,

The tablet can be set to English by the people at onda-tablet before they send and it has google play store preinstalled.

I think I might buy from them because if it did ever come to the uk which might be months it will be outdated and increased in price.
  11. nick789uk

nick789uk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have bought from these sites before and had no problems from them, another thin that you have to take into account is custom duty sometimes you don't pay other times you may. This has happend both to me when buying fro China, proberly would cost around £15-20 duty but it is pot luck if you pay. Sending this on my Amino novo hero tab which I bought from spemall.com about three weeks ago and its not a bad tablet works straight from the box his Google play pre installed, also not hard to change to English if in Chinese hope this helps.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  12. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Hi Julie,

I thinks it a great tablet, if you do order it from them please post your experience. I have only recently in the last month come across these alternative branded tablets and it seems like a great concept. Onda-Tablet.com will set the default to English, do u know if they get rid of the chinese apps as well?

I might start a post entitled UK Importers of Chinese Tablets, as I want to the know the names & I want to know who motherofallbattles is ?
  13. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Onda-Tablet very cheekily say that they will mark the tablet as a gift and under $50 so I don't think I will have any problems with customs (unless they open it up)!
  14. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Julie, can pay by credit/debit card to Onda?
  15. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    You can pay by PayPal or credit card at Onda-tablet.com
  16. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    OK Fine...Do u think its a good idea to start a post asking people for the names of UK importers ?
  17. nick789uk

nick789uk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks it would be a good idea but the tablet would be more expensive even with the custom duty as they will have to pay the duty also put some on top as well the two I have use are OK and have been no problems with them, also be aware that some sites report that they are UK based and may well be but you order the tab with them but the tab comes direct to you from China so You may still have to pay the duty, when the Onda arrives I will do a review both of the tablet and the process of ordering.
  18. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Thx for that Nick. BTW do you think it is possible to get 18 months stretching possibly to 2 yrs good usage from these tablets.
  19. houndlegs

houndlegs Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Anyone have any experience of these futeko.com - Future Entertainment Technology. .
    A quick search seems to have them as a good company to deal with,operating in Manchester.
    Not showing the novo 9 yet,but I'm in no hurry.
    I could be tempted by one of these cheap Chinese tablets.
  20. nick789uk

nick789uk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that you would be able to get a couple of years from the tablets, but it was not long ago say not 12 months when the Onda vi40 single core came out which is an excellent table but a single core processor only a few months ago double core processors came out now quad core processors so two years is a long time, in that time it may even be something different that we use but yes you should get a couple of years or more use out of them.
  21. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    I agree with u Nick, whatever u buy now will be outdated in 6 months time, but thats just the way it is. If I can get 18 months and stretch it a bit beyond that then I think its money well spent.
    Houndlegs I havent seen that website, apparently there is someone on another forum called motherofallbattles, and that person is selling in the UK - need to find out who they are !!!
  22. houndlegs

houndlegs Member

Ratings:
    +19
    What forum is that?
  23. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Apparently also there going to be an Ainol Hero II coming out soon :)
  25. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I swear that's been out for a while? Am I looking at the same one? Only has a 1280x800 res screen I think and the GPU is not as good an only 1gb ram if I am looking at the right one
  26. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Hi Julie, I think the one your talking about is the 1st version with these specs:

Ainol Novo10 Hero Dual Core use 10.1 Inch IPS Touch screen with 1280*800 resolution ,1GB DDR3 RAM,Dual Camera,HDMI,WIFI,Bluetooth.

A second version is out pretty soon I think (I hope rather) :)
  27. Julie1

Julie1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
  28. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Yeah thats the one...must be, it wasnt out a few days ago....unless i've been looking in the wrong places
  29. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Is the Onda V972 better than that one ?
  30. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Julie u know where to look these tablets up don't u :)