Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics in 3d

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by dk143, Feb 16, 2012.

1. romerojpg

romerojpg Member

Ratings:
    +77
    So we can just record the 3D coverage from Freeview BBC HD?

Sounds such a shame that we will not get much in 3D. Esspecially as we pay sooo much for the pathetic BBC licence! and I never knew about the quality lowering BBC HD! the fools!
  2. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    I've never understood the point of tennis....all that grunting!
  3. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    If you have something to receive it on and something to record it on then of course you can - why ask?:confused::)

Agreed mike7 - and what are all those boys and girls, men and women, there for, standing and running around the two who are actually doing the hitting and grunting?
  4. romerojpg

romerojpg Member

Ratings:
    +77
    Well I have a 3D TV and Hard drive to record from Freeview HD. Never done anything with it yet s no hurry to get the glasses. Just had no idea about 3D content on Freeview (have no idea if any has even been transmitted on Freeview HD yet), just crossed my mind that it might not be as simple as pressing record for 3D content.
  5. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks Member

Ratings:
    +147
    I still have recordings of last year's Wimbledon finals. :D
    The BBC have broadcast a couple of things in 3D on the BBC HD channel (last year's Wimbledon final, and the recent Strictly Come Dancing final).

It's important to understand that it's actually still just a plain 2D broadcast as far as your TV and recording equipment is concerned. There's nothing "special" about it other than the image is split down the middle into L/R images. Neither your TV or recorder is aware of this. You have to manually engage the SBS 3D mode on your television to get it to do its 3D processing on the image.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Blue Ray

Blue Ray Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't forget the BBC broadcast the movie Street Dance 3D too, recorded it for the missus but haven't watched it myself.

I hope the BBC embrace 3D even more, Strictly was fantastic. Even Brucies 3D chin couldn't put me off ogling the beautiful :love:Tess Daly:love: :laugh:

The BBC waste shedloads of cash in strange areas (the ludicrously huge website, minority music stations with up to 4 listeners...) but overall I think they're pretty good. Personally I think their HD channels are amongst the best quality picturewise on Freesat/Freeview - to my eyes only NHK World seems to have better picture clarity.

They were at the forefront of "terrestrial" HD programming & if you don't have Sky, no one else in UK is bothering with broadcasting in 3D.

Personally I can't wait to watch 10 drug cheats tearing down a track for 9.5 seconds in 3D ;) :p
  7. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    That's all you need.
    As A S says the 3D programmes are no different from any others when it comes to recording.
    With your hard drive connected it IS as simple as pressing record, and that's it.
    The only 3D content on Freeview has been on BBC HD, and consists of those three items - tennis, dancing, and the imho excellent film Street Dance - and also a short compilation item for testing purposes.
    They're all safely recorded on my disks, but will vary in the extent of being watched.:)

B R: I can't share your enthusiasm for that magnificent spectacle.:laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1