Oldboy remake

One of the great movies in World not just Asian cinema imo. Hope the remake is as good as the original

One of the great movies in World not just Asian cinema imo. Hope the remake is as good as the original
It won't be.

Oh and welcome to the forums. :hiya:

The thematic prequel, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, is just as good. Lady Vengeance is a notch down, I think.

Aksy said:

Thoroughly agree. I think OldBoy is a masterpiece. Lots of things said about the twisty plot, but I think the sheer visual panache is breathtaking. There's barely a scene, hardly a shot that isn't something of a cinematic tour de force.

Steve W

First Reaction to Spike Lee's OLDBOY*Remake - News - GeekTyrant
possible spoilers

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/spi...s-its-just-as-sick-and-twisted-as-the-origina

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and I can't wait to see the final version of it in theatres. Even after seeing the original, I could say that I like them equally as much. The acting, story, and action all outweigh the negatives of the film, which can (and hopefully will be) fixed up before the final cut‘s release. I'll give it an 8/10. And, as a quick note, the film was presented without a title, so we might have to start referring to it as something else sometime soon.

Last edited:
Official poster #1

56675.jpg

Tonight I watched the 2003 version for the first time :blush:

Wow! What an exhilarating experience. It takes a lot to please me nowadays! The last 45 minutes or so had me expectant with baited breath

When he
opened the box showing the photo of his wife and infant daughter, it clicked and I felt mortified. I pride myself in seeing these things coming but didn't on this occasion!

I also think the hypnosis didn't work as the theme of 'when you cry, you cry alone' seemed to bear true for him and that's what we were left with

I wasn't aware they were doing a remake which led me to this thread. I have my doubts whether it'll reproduce the same intensity but we'll see!

Last edited:
Coffin said:
Tonight I watched the 2003 version for the first time :blush:

Wow! What an exhilarating experience. It takes a lot to please me nowadays! The last 45 minutes or so had me expectant with baited breath

When he * SPOILER *

I wasn't aware they were doing a remake which led me to this thread. I have my doubts whether it'll reproduce the same intensity but we'll see!

Can't believe its taken you 10 years. Have you been locked up in solitary confinement? ;)

I didn't even know the remake had been finished. Wonder if they'll go to the dark places of the original?

Coffin, you want the good news? The film demands multiple watches. Yes, a great twisty-turny story, but that's not the half of it.

Watch it again now you know what's going on, and almost every scene, every shot is something a bit cinematically special.

Multi-layered enjoyment.

Steve W

Can't believe its taken you 10 years. Have you been locked up in solitary confinement? ;)
I know, I know :suicide: I've an ever increasing list of films to watch and am working through them as and when! I'm a bit fickle tho in that I can't watch some films with someone else be that a girly or friends. I don't like to engage in conversation during a screening nor be interrupted. Miss a few seconds of dialogue and I have to rewind! :)

Pecker - thanks I will certainly watch it again in the very near future. It will be
'difficult' (or should a say, a different experience) knowing the outcome. I was touched emotionally in a way very few films have done so previous. A truly superb film!

Last edited:

I didn't even know the remake had been finished. Wonder if they'll go to the dark places of the original?

Will smith in this remake?

Josh Brolin, as the protagonist

the release date of Spike Lee's Oldboy has been shifted from October 11th, 2013 to October 25th, 2013. That's only a difference of two weeks and moves the remake away from Sin City: A Dame to Kill, but closer to both Ender's Game and Thor: The Dark World.
. USA im guessing

can a mod please remove the angry face from the title please ? i have tried but it wont change

you can only edit a thread created around 6 months back mate, i would pm a mod direct, sometimes they miss posts

can a mod please remove the angry face from the title please ? i have tried but it wont change

Done, I did try what you did and it did not work, then went futher and it did ;)

7Mi3rFJ.jpg

How do you get away with remaking a movie as revered as Park Chan-wook's Oldboy? You hire a revered director to give it a completely different spin. We're still not totally sure what to expect from Spike Lee's upcoming remake of Oldboy, which puts Josh Brolin in the role of the man mysteriously imprisoned for 20 years, but Lee's career has taught us to expect something utterly unique. And that starts with this brand-new poster released today, which looks… absolutely nothing like the Korean original.

That's Brolin climbing out of the trunk, looking mighty clean-cut and purposeful for someone who has just broken out of a 20-year solitary confinement. And we assume that's Elizabeth Olsen standing in the background, holding a yellow umbrella with the hash marks that have been part of the marketing from the very beginning-- Olsen plays the young woman who helps Brolin's character in his quest to find out why he was imprisoned, a crucial role in the original film that we assume is just as major here. What's most intriguing of all is that we've been told this is an actual shot from the film, not a composite image, which means all the bizarre images-- the hash marks on the umbrella, the straw in Brolin's hand-- are part of the film. The scene in question is actually included in the film's new trailer, which will be debuting tomorrow at Yahoo! Movies. So we won't have to wait much longer to figure out how it all works in context.

A few more tidbits-- the quirky script on the title is Brolin's actual handwriting, taken from the many letters he writes to his daughter during his imprisonment. And if you click on the poster to see it larger, you'll notice the line below the title says it's "A Spike Lee Film", not "A Spike Lee Joint," the term he's given nearly all of his other films, and which was included on Oldboy's first poster. Are they trying to make this seem less like a Spike Lee movie? Is he just growing up and moving on from his youthful slang? It's not necessarily a meaningful detail, but interesting given how famous Lee is and how much we expect him to put his stamp on this remake.

One final question-- where's Sharlto Copley? He's set to play the main villain, a fascinating part that could change in any number of ways in this remake, but ought to give the District 9 star a chance to stretch into a different kind of performance. Here's hoping this poster doesn't mean he won't be present in tomorrow's trailer as well.

trailer tomorrow

Looks alright. I'll watch it on Blu

I feel for those that will first see the remake instead of the original

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom