Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old technics upgrade

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by pdcelec, Jul 4, 2009.

1. pdcelec

pdcelec Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Technics SU-X77 which i believe was the first surround system on the market. I am planning on an upgrade to new equipment but I am wondering if the speakers SB-C250 are still ok to use with the new amps. The speakers till sound great in stereo. Any opinions?
  2. davepuma

davepuma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,183
    I would check the impedance rating (ohms) of the speakers first. I would imagine they are fine but it is best to check. Is the sub an active (powered) model that is connected via an RCA phono cable?
  3. pdcelec

pdcelec Member

Ratings:
    +0

The speakers are 8ohm. Active sub! this system was bought in 1986! I was just wondering whether to keep just the speakers as they are great sounding and could they incorporated into a new modern setup.
  4. davepuma

davepuma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,183
    8ohms will work fine and so will the active sub, providing it has RCA phono connection. I would imagine they can handle a modest amount of power too but a budget HD audio decoding receiver would be a good move e.g. Sony ST-DG820/ST-DH800, Denon 1610/1910, Yamaha 465/565, Onkyo 577/607, Marantz SR5003 etc.