1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok, how far can you run an HDMI cable????

Discussion in 'HDMI Cables & Switches' started by Ru55, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ru55

Ru55 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had alot of storys, anyone know how far a HDMI or DVI signal can go through a cable...before a noticable drop in quality starts...?

Apparently! A HDMI signal starts to drop after 7.5meters, so by the time iv ran it the 10meters to my projector, its pointless!?!

QED agree that this is the case! (8m max for hdmi)

IXOS say its fine...thats why they make 10+ HDMI/DVI cables!

I work in the live events indusrty and when ever I do a HD job, we have to use HDMI/DVI converted to fiber optic, then convert it back to HDMI/DVI at the other end! Too costy for home domestic use though!
  2. skywalker1010

skywalker1010 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

I run an 12 metre HDMI cable from my SKYHD box to my Toshiba LCD screen with no problems whatsoever. It is a top brand Display Magic HDMI-12-HH cable I got from Joe Fernand @ TMF, in fact he will be able to tell you exactly what you can do over long runs, I think they even have linger runs that 12.

:thumbsup:
  3. sbowler

sbowler Member

Ratings:
    +517
    Try the IXOS cable, if they make it at 10mtrs then it must work. When buying say to them if it wont work you want a refund.
  4. skywalker1010

skywalker1010 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I was told that my 12M cable would have no problems running 1080P also :hiya:
  5. Ru55

Ru55 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, kick me cat and call it fred!

IXOS here I come!
  6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,752
    Hello Ru55

HDMI to HDMI and HDMI to DVI can deliver quite different results.

Where DVI is involved you can have problems at any length over 5m.

Where its all HDMI then you ought to be fine up to 7m.

Some folk find they can go far much further than these figures with relatively inexpensive cables whilst others get signal drop out or no signal at 5m.

The format of the signal you are transmitting will also affect maximum cable length in a system,.

We have an AVForums PowerBuy running on the BetterCables Display Magic II HDMI cables - these can and do work up to 31m in lots of systems - see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351641

Best regards

Joe
  7. Reiner

Reiner Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I have seen HDMI cables exceeding 50 meters at exhibitions though I couldn't say how it affected the signal quality as no direct comparision was possible (the picture did look good though).
  8. Ru55

Ru55 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow....still really confused :confused:
  9. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,752
    Hello Ru55

Each Manufacturer is going to tell you how far 'they' can run a signal over HDMI - that doesn't mean no one else can run longer without problems.

The BetterCables Display Magic II cables linked to in the PowerBuy will easily run way past 10m and not cause you a problem - the cables are supplied on a Sale or Return basis so not much of a gamble on your part :)

Best regards

Joe
  10. JohnWH

JohnWH Member

Ratings:
    +84
    It won't, except in pretty obvious ways if the cable wasn't up to it, so if you thought the image looked good its likely that was as good as it can get...
  11. Neil Davidson

Neil Davidson Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +424
    I think Joe has pretty much covered the essentials.

Over copper you can only go so far without active signal processing being involved. 15m without 60m+ with. How far you can go over copper is highly dependant on the quality of the cable hence it is reasonable to assume that a cable that works at 15m is "better" than a cable that only works up to 5m.

If you want to go really long distances then you can use optical cables and run 100m easily if you so desire. This makes it possible to wire an entire house for HD distribution from a central point in the property, a very nice option for the CI market.

HTH

Neil
  12. Flat_Webb

Flat_Webb Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm running a 25m HDMI cable from SKY HD to a PJ with an IXOS repeater at the display end and still get nothing but a static 'snow' screen, dodgy cable??
  13. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,752
    Hello Flat Webb

25m cables need to be very good to get a signal across them.

I'll bet if you read the spec of the Ixos repeater is says to install one every 50' (15m) - I believe too its a 'line powered' device using the 5v rail on the HDMI cable and this is probably why you have the problem.

The Octava HDE-UK (HDMI extender) like the Ixos is designed to be installed every 15m when using the 'self powered' mode - where your trying to run one on the end of a longer cable the Octava HDE-UK has an external Power supply and we have seen these work in systems with longer than 15m cables ahead of the repeater.

See http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI extender.htm

Best regards

Joe
  14. JohnWH

JohnWH Member

Ratings:
    +84
    For 25m I think you would be best looking at use of either a repeater or equaliser, as the cost of cables that work at this length is, for want of a better word, stupid!

Edit, and maybe if I read Joe's post I'd have seen thats exactly what he suggested doh! Note for UK supplier you can go to Keene electronics...

John.
  15. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,752
    Hello JohnWH

Flat Webb already has a Repeater- so maybe those expensive cables don't look so bad after all :)

A lot of the 'repeaters' are designed to be used every 15m - which means putting one 'behind the wall' for a lot of folk - which is hardly ideal if you cant get ready access to them.

There are times when a repeater is a great solution and others times when a higher quality HDMI cable is going to be the best option - or maybe combine a high quality cable with a self powered repeater that will work with more than a 15m head of cable; see http://www.bettercables.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=29

Best regards

Joe
  16. Flat_Webb

Flat_Webb Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The Octava HDE-UK link you provide is to a US supplier, will the product therefore only come with a US power supply?
  17. JohnWH

JohnWH Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Hi Joe,

thats not actually to bad a price either (~200GBP) given that you're looking at ~£100 for a cable and the same again for a repeater. Can these be daisy chained without adding external power?

What would be interresting is the distance you need to place repeaters/equalisers for cheaper cables (I expect you may need to to eq before repeat for 1080p).

John.
  18. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,752
    Hello both

Flat Webb - see http://www.octavainc.com/contact.htm

JohnWH - I've had 2 x HDE-UK + 3 x 15m cables working without using the external power supplies; I've not tried to go any longer than that.

Best regards

Joe
  19. kcd1369

kcd1369 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone ever thought about twisted pair extenders?
    You can go up to 1000' with the good ones.

I use them all the time in my Pro AV installs.

Usually only for shorter 300' to 500' runs.

We use Extron (the best),Kramer Electronics and Gefen.:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  20. Joe Fernand

Ratings:
    +1,752
  21. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Member

Ratings:
    +696
    I'll lock this one here rather than confuse people with 2 year old info at the start of the thread :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.