Oil filled radiators

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
My new office at work is pretty cold and the team have requested some heating. We have opted for oil filled portable heaters due to them being quieter than fan heaters etc.
Can anyone recommend one with a 7 day timer? We want them to switch on and off on their own, and not be on over the weekend without relying on someone turning them all off - we are ordering 6.

Thanks, I found a bunch with timers in, but none specify a 7 day timer, i.e. they will still come on over the weekend which is a waste of electricity.
I'm thinking I might have to plump for a cheap one and some 7 day plug timers.

Apologies, should learn to read! Yeh, your second plan sounds easier!

or just get some 7 day timers on the sockets? they are certainly better than the crappy fan things we have in our office at work. useless things. too hot or too cold.

i have one in the conservatory - anyone know how they compare to say a radiator in terms of costs? i guess it depends on wattage but dont know that.

If you get a 7 day timer just make sure they are half decent as the pins on the plug on the heater get very very hot when on high.

we just got a couple of dimplex ones for our office and they are doing well. so much better than crappy fan heaters like we had last year.

Got the missus a couple of De Longhi 2.5KW last winter when the heating failed and they are superb. They soon heat the room up and she's used them this year as well. As above, they are much better than fan heaters and more economical to run as far as I am aware.

i find fan heaters really dry out your skin too. oil filled just act like a radiator.

Could have got one with a basic and turned it off on Friday night :p

I used a delonghi to heat the bedroom in my flat - lovely and toasty. Left it on all day once by mistake 8-O

You are heating with electricity which is the dearest form of energy. Be cheaper to burn £20 notes in a fire basket :D

You are heating with electricity which is the dearest form of energy. Be cheaper to burn £20 notes in a fire basket :D

Yes unfortunately no gas where I work . Will only be using for a couple hours a day as getting too cold now.

Yes unfortunately no gas where I work . Will only be using for a couple hours a day as getting too cold now.

You can get bottled gas heaters. If we have a long-hard Winter, it would be well worth it I think.

they are much better than fan heaters and more economical to run as far as I am aware.

2.5kWh heater is a 2.5kWh heater. Fan or oil filled rad, would both cost the same to run.
Fan will give you instant heat, Oil filled rad will give you some residual heat

2.5kWh heater is a 2.5kWh heater. Fan or oil filled rad, would both cost the same to run.
Fan will give you instant heat, Oil filled rad will give you some residual heat

I wonder how true that is John. The fan heater is just heating the air, whereas the rad is heating the actual radiator too. Then relying on convection, so indirectly heating the air.

Both hugely expensive from my somewhat limited experience.

Isn't convector just the movement of air through heating and cooling ? The fan heater definitely heats and moves the air :D

And with first hand experience of both and their subsequent replacement by a "plumbed into existing CH" rad. Yes they are bloody expensive. So much so that the CH rad has effectively paid for the kitchen it was fitted into

Last edited:
I thought fan heaters are constantly on? Whereas the oil filled rads go on and off once they reach their temp

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've went through a few different heaters in my time, in the last year I have used 3 different fan heaters and TBH there is a huge difference, and it isn't just about spending more money.

Got one like this from pound stretcher Ex-Pro® 2 Heat Setting 750/1500W Thermostatic Energy: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics absolutly rubbish, if your not standing in front of it don't bother.

Got this from john lewis Bionaire 2200w Digital Fan Heater: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home doesn't rotate but can set the digital thermastat and just let it do its job, it takes an age to heat a room to the desired temp though. I'd avoid just not as much as the one above.

De'Longhi Retro HVR9033 Fan Heater - 3 Kilowatt: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home This little beauty is awesome though, in a different class to any other fan heater I've used. It gets a (huge!) room to a temperature fast and has a dial on the back for a thermostat, unfortunately it isn't labeled so its a case of once you get a comfortable temperature turn the dial until it goes off, then it will only come on to maintain the temperature. The speed/effectiveness of the fan is the important thing on a fan heater the element just heats a cm or 2 around it otherwise, this one isn't too loud either, probably less so than the tiny fans in the others above.

I had a similar experience with oil filled electric rads too, without forced convection it seemed to take forever to get the room to temperature and the added feature where there always felt a chill in the air if there was a draft.

From what I've played with, I could imagine the Dyson hot will be pretty effective, but for a tiny proportion of the cost the DeLonghi retro fan is a winner.

There are also on QVC like channels electric rads with aluminum cores, where they advertise that it maintains the temperature even when turned off, while 'nice' that suggests it wastes an awful amount of time to heat up the core before putting any useful work into the room. These things are hundreds of pounds too, I suppose there is one born every minute though.

I also had some of those internal halogen ones too, unless your sitting in front of the IR waves you don't get the benefit, if you are then you're probably burning. For outside a pub they are fine, as an internal space heater they are rubbish.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom