Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official PS3 Sound Bar

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by Steven, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,487
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. JoystickJedi

JoystickJedi Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks I hadn't seen it was available on play.com.

I'm very tempted to get this but I wonder if it will fit in my TV unit ok. I'll scout a bit for the dimensions!
  3. sirlisterofsmeg

sirlisterofsmeg New Member

Ratings:
    +105
    £170 for 1 optical input & a pair of phono inputs
    No thanks.
    i can think of better ways to spend my money
  4. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,487
    It does seem pricey but I am sure reviews will be forthcoming. About £50 dearer than something like the highly rated Aego M 2.1 though
  5. Spears93

Spears93 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm someone who likes their sound to be nice and crisp.
    I'm also the owner of a £120 home cinema system with an optical input that sounds MORE than impressive with physical surround sound - not virtual
  6. dannius

dannius Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    I like the look of this, I wonder how it sounds with Blu Rays?
  7. jwalsh82

jwalsh82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    £170 though? Wow it's a lot of money for 2.1

I'd rather get the Onkyo version for that price.
  8. DJ Ovengloves

DJ Ovengloves Active Member

Ratings:
    +692
    Like an expensive 2.1 system :D

9. dannius

dannius Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    :D
  10. dannius

dannius Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    From where? Not seen an Onkyo one, although not been looking either!

I know it's a lot of money, but I thought sound bars were generally a lot more? Not everyone wants to have 5.1 with cables and speakers all over their house, 2.1 would be sufficient for me.
  11. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,487
    Are you really that out of room though you cannot find the space for the sub with something like the aforementioned Aego M 2.1? Fair enough if the only option really is something like a sound bar, just curious :)
  12. JoystickJedi

JoystickJedi Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I hadn't heard of these Aego speakers til I read your message. Just googled them and read some amazing reviews. Tempted to just get these as people say the form factor is small.

I've just bought a flat so a minimalist solution would be ideal. Silly question but can these plug directly into the PS3? The 2.1 speakers I have currently just plug into the headphone port in the TV and the PS3 is connected solely to the TV.

I'm guessing this is a bit of a lame setup? :laugh:
  13. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    Crap I'd imagine......

Speakers are like engines.....there is no substitute for cubes.....
  14. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +165
    the bloke in the advert,"listening"to the soundbar,i think,has some keff eggs,and i think,an amp to the right of the ps3.
    I wonder if he would have the soundbar plugged in to the ps3,and not have his really good speakers working.?
    Feel a bit bad for ripping this thread,
    Sorry OP.
  15. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,487
    Hey I was delivering news, not doing a purchase review :D
  16. Bsliced

Bsliced Member

Ratings:
    +3
    A Bit too pricey for what your being offered.
  17. StuR6

StuR6 Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I play too much gaming to warrant use of headphones.

Soundbar: Did anyone buy one of these, or know of a better one?
  18. Kaden101

Kaden101 Member

Ratings:
    +159
    Not one of these Sony ones specifically. We got a Sharp sound bar from Richer sounds a couple of years ago (a fair bit cheaper than this). It's not proper separate stereo speaker sound quality, but it's a hell of a lot better than the crap that comes out of the speakers on our 40" samsung LCD. My only gripe with the Sharp is that it turns into standby mode far too quickly, so if you pause a video, you have to turn it back on when you get back before unpausing....or start without sound. It's even turned itself off during silent bits of tv/film on occassion, which is bloody annoying.

I wish we had enough room to put my separates system & Mission speakers in the room. Instead they're stuck in the loft. 1. They'd sound better. 2. They're free as I already had them. I would use them, but ya know....married.
  19. StuR6

StuR6 Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Cheers Kaden - appreciated. Richer' are selling the Yamaha soundbar at a reasonable price. The more I look into it, the more I realise I might have some specific needs. Firstly yes the TV speakers are poor on our 32 panny. This is made worse because they back onto curtains. I'm hoping that a soundbar would be better as it's forward facing.

My next concern about the soundbar is the basis of how it works. I presume the true quality and surround only comes from winding it up, so the sounds bounce off the walls. No I'm actually less concerned with the surround effect, but can anyone tell me if you still get ‘ok' direction from your soundbar when volume is low? How's the relative quality?

If not, then I guess I'm into looking a mini standalone self driven speakers (wired). Ahh, where to start. I imagine they're very good for directing the sound; you could have 2.1 or 5.1; and imagine some can be fed by optical/digital. Win win. I'm guessing this is how some of the PC speakers work – but not sure; and bet most are fed by a mini jack stereo instead.

The choices: Yamaha YAS 101 > Sony PS3 Soundbar > mini seperates…

Would love any feedback.
  20. Kaden101

Kaden101 Member

Ratings:
    +159
    Couldn't tell you about the surround I'm pretty sure ours is just stereo 2.1 (or is it 1.1, it's a soundbar after all?!).

I can say that I'm more than happy with the sound quality, especially as in certain sound modes (sport & news I think) it really does bring out peoples voices & makes it a lot easier to watch programs & hear what's going on. Films are still far too loud on the explosions & sounds effects though, but I blame that on the recording itself & not the sound system I'm using.

Ours is plugged direct into the TV itself. Just remember to turn the TV sound right off or you get a really wierd dual sound issue. It's like the TV & soundbar aren't in sync, but when you have either on by themselves there's no lip synch issues on either. It's wierd.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. StuR6

StuR6 Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Yes, this is making me think a bit more, thanks.

I note you didn't get the Sony. As I understand it, some of these Bars have digital input thus allowing you to feed it with full surround. The next trick is to turn that into surround - not possible if its one singular bar, but instead it creates a 'virtual' surround effect. It cannot do this if it only has a stereo input (like your red/white RCA cables). I do wonder if you lose the 'virtual effect' if its on low volume, and therefore not bouncing off walls. Anyhow..

I really like how my true 5.1 system allows me to tweak indivudual speakers, and thus the centre speaker to highlight speach - like your gripe. I would hope that some of the better soundbars have a similar feature... anyone with the Sony bar confirm this?

I supposed my feedback request still stands, to those who use digital soundbars, in regards to quality on low volume :)

But thinking ahead, I do wonder if some of the better bars will allow me to tweak their settings to accentuate voices..... that'd be cool and maybe the ideal fix!! (feedback welcome)
  22. GoodPicture

GoodPicture Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Sony Ht Ct550W soundbar. It has different sound fields for you to chose from, if put in news mode it accentuates vocals and suppresses the annoying musac from some programs. HDMI connection with 3 inputs and 1 output for use with ARC tv input. Needs adjusting for best results. Good american AV forum site for set up. Have to use 1.4 HDMI leads to use ARC.