Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official O2 iPhone Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by porsch1909, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    MOD EDITED by RobM83:

O2 have no launched the unlock option for PAYG and Pay Monthly customers.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

FREE for Pay Monthly customers at any time
    £15 for PAYG customers after 12 months or you can do it at anytime but have to sacrifice your 12 months free wifi and internet usage.

-----------------------------------------------

This news makes me so happy I think it deserves a thread of its own even though I posted it in the other thread too :D

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36
  3. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    And I've deleted it from the other thread as cross posting is against forum rules.

This thread will remain though as it's not related to the same methods discussed in the other unlocking thread.

What will be very interesting is to see whether O2 will allow the unlock for people who are not in an O2 contract. So PAYG users, where there is no precedent set for unlocked phones on any network, will end up with a locked phone still. But contract customers who still have their iPhone will be able to unlock.

Like it or not, PAYG phones are always locked to the network, if bought from the network and this is unlikely to change for the iPhone.
  4. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36
  5. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Help - O2

I found this on the o2 site as well.

Then later on it says:

So PAYG is mentioned there as well. But of course the 12 months use on our network is as well. Which I think is unfair. I bought an iPhone from the apple store and it just so happens that O2 where the only ones that I could use that iPhone with at the time. I think it may come down to a case of who you get on the phone though. So fingers crossed that everyone can unlock their iPhones.

I really hope they don't screw around with this.
  6. ekinlock

ekinlock Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Another twist.

I have a iphone 3g contract with o2 for more than a year now, i gave away the original iphone 3g and now have a used 3gs that i purchased recently, i wonder what my options would be in this situation as any official unlocking would probably be via the imei.

Whatever the situation this is an extremely positive development and will surely result in cheaper iphones...
  7. silverstag

silverstag Active Member

Ratings:
    +235
    I think that only the original owner can unlock a phone officially. So you need to contact the person who sold the 3GS to you, and he has to contact O2!
  8. chelsea.tone

chelsea.tone Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,138
    I think that as o2 virtually encouraged original 3G owners (contract) to sell the 3G and buy a PAYG 3GS that they will unlock for you. No reason not to now. And i honestly think that Apple will sell factory unlocked instead of all varities, too much hassle for them.
  9. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +770
    So when they say "official unlock" are we talking a 3G phone could be unlocked and run on a T-Mobile sim without having to jailbreak etc as we have done in the past? How does this work if you buy a second hand 3G for example?
  10. chelsea.tone

Ratings:
    +1,138
    Yes it would be unlocked. As regards to the other bit :confused:
  11. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +770
    So this carrier unlock, would it have to be done through O2, Orange, or Vodafone, or could it be done through iTunes?
  12. chelsea.tone

Ratings:
    +1,138
    By the carrier, o2.
  13. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +770
    This is what worries me. Not having an O2 contract (I'm with T-Mob) I'd be wanting a second hand 3G and then having it unlocked. I guess I'd have to take it to O2?
  14. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36

It would involve you calling up and giving whichever carrier you bought the phone from your IMEI number. They'd punch it into a computer which will generate an unlock code from apple.

Then the next time you sync up with itunes the phone will come up with an 'this iphone is now unlocked' type screen.

The biggest problem with the iPhone being officially unlocked is that the unlock codes are randomly generated in relation to the IMEI number. So there really is no way of generating it yourself, there is just a database with random codes in it at apple...:(

I know for one that orange in Switzerland will unlock your payg iphone as soon as you've bought it.

Andreas Fink's blog: Officially Unlocked iPhone 3GS in Switzerland

So that is a precedent for Orange at least to unlock the iphone which is PAYG
  15. spaceman763

spaceman763 Member

Ratings:
    +81
    I wonder if Apple themselves would unlock PAYG phones bought directly from an Apple Store? Or would O2 object to this?
  16. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36
  17. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +770
    So, if a second hand, still-locked-to-O2, 3G was purchased from say either this forum or ebay, etc, would I just have to ring O2 to have it unlocked, even tho I have never had a contract or bought anything from them before? Or would the Apple Store do it?
  18. kdc

kdc Member

Ratings:
    +114
    I think it would depend if the original contract linked to the imei was finished, if it was still in contract then it probably wouldnt be unlocked.
  19. madgames

madgames Member

Ratings:
    +88
    My mate bought one pay and go last week from 02 store,
    Whats the chances of him getting it unlocked to use on vodafone ?
    Also when will they start unlocking these then ?
  20. hutch

hutch Active Member

Ratings:
    +960
    There has still been no official statement regarding the official unlocking of phones, there has been one report of a supposed interview with the head of O2 saying they would be unlocked but IMO that not concrete proof.
  21. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36

I think a Times interview with the head of O2 is pretty much concrete proof and I don't think the times really posts fake interviews? I have emailed O2 about this as well but not gotten a reply yet but that was only yesterday.
  22. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I would suggest he take it back for a refund and wait until the 10th November to find out the unlock status of both Orange and O2 at that point.

He won't get his contract phone unlocked from O2 before his contract is finished though. If it is PAYG, nobody is sure but it looks to be after 12 months they will unlock the phone.
  23. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    It's also entirely possible that the question was worded / loaded to generate a specific answer. Don't believe everything you read until the evidence is sat there in front of you.

I'm not saying this wont happen in any form, but don't bet your money on it being as simple and clear cut as you may like.

There will be numerous restrictions and hoops to jump through before you can walk away from O2 with an unlocked iPhone.
  24. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    The questions that was asked is there and the answer is clear cut.

'Once the iPhone becomes available on other UK networks, we will allow O2 customers to unlock their iPhones, although of course they will still need to honour any outstanding contract period they have'

And I think that part of the answer is pretty clear as well. We will unlock people's iPhones when they are out of contract. The only ambiguity is with PAYG phones.
  25. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    Read it carefully though and then look back over some of the discussion points of this thread.

If you're on a different network or you don't have an iPhone contract or possibly active PAYG SIM, you're out of luck.

This is to be expected, but isn't clear as to whether you can unlock your iPhone part-way through a contract or if you have to wait until the end.

So if you have a second hand iPhone, you're on a contract but not with the original iPhone (like me, iPhone contract with a 3G supplied but replaced by a PAYG 3GS), if you're using it with a different SIM or network... there is no guarantee that you'll be able to get it unlocked.

And there is no mention of what T&C's will surround this and what conditions need to be met. I think we all know it wont be as easy as a single phone call and job done, regardless of your circumstances.

As said, this isn't me saying it wont happen, this is me saying keep an open mind and don't bet on anything being certain until it's proven.
  26. jamies90

jamies90 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just spoke to someone at Matthew Key's office who stated that for PAYG customers will need to have had an iPhone 3G on the network and iPhone PAYG sim active for 12 months before they can get it unlocked.

Bit disappointed but it makes sense due to the subsidy offered on iPhones.
  27. fat jez

fat jez Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Is there a subsidy on the PAYG phones though? I wouldn't have thought there is much, if any?
  28. plaver

plaver Member

Ratings:
    +98
    I bought mine from the Apple store, No Contact etc, and use the iphone with my current SIM does this mean I can or can't get the uinlock code for my iphone.
  29. arris666

arris666 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    HI,

I bought a used 3G last week from a friends whose contract has come to an end. They have upgraded to the 3GS and sold me their 3G.

The phone was updated to 3.1.2 firmware with a base band of 05.xx.xx which wont let me unlock it to use on T-Mobile.

Can anyone confirm that there will be a way to unlock at some point soon or can i unlock it for a fee as the phone is out of contract?

I havent ever been an 02 customer and dont want to be so if there is a way to do this without haveing to go through O2 could anyone please advise????
  30. porsch1909

porsch1909 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    There is no official word as such from O2 or Apple about this but it looks like you will have to wait 12 months.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.