Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection: Fortnightly Hardbacks

Discussion in 'Books & Literature Forum' started by brumhee, Dec 29, 2011.

1. dillondford

dillondford Member

Ratings:
    +9
    What date did you guys subscribe ? :)
  2. BluWarfareHD09

BluWarfareHD09 Active Member

Ratings:
    +181
    the 6th of Jan befor the deadline
  3. dillondford

dillondford Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Ahh right lol i only subscribed from issue 1 on the 13th of this month :rolleyes:
  4. brumhee

brumhee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,251
    Yeh my box was torn/open but no damage to the books thankfully
  5. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

Well I've had my Subscribers Welcome Letter, and Issue 3 (Iron Man: Extremis - excellent, and very controversially adult in nature). The novel arrived undamaged, in reasonable packaging. No invoice or anything with it, nor any of the free gifts, but I know from my contact at Hachette that they wouldn't be being sent out with this volume, and will arrive under seperate cover.

With regards to payments, if you are being invoiced, payments should be taken from your bank account or debit/credit card within 14 days of the invoice being sent out to you, and NOT on the 14th day of each month, NOR every 14 days. (You should only be being billed once a month, for two issues, at £9-99 for each issue.)

BluWarfareHD09 - You asked:
    I can't be certain, but the extra £10 sounds like they have accidentally invoiced you one issue too much, or are invoicing you for the next issue, in advance. Either way, it's wrong, and I'd give them a call on the London phone number I've posted, or use the e-mail address that Dillondford posted, and discuss the matter with them.

No one should be incurring any fees for postage and packing on anything, as one of the benefits with subscribing, is that items/novels are sent to subscribers free-of-charge.

Hope that helps. :)

Pooch
  6. dillondford

dillondford Member

Ratings:
    +9
    What do you mean invoice being 'sent' do we get something in the post or am i just being dumb lol
  7. Franknfarter

Franknfarter Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hatchette did not have a stand at the London Super Comic Convention so I was not able to share my grouses with them. With regard to the Comic-CON what a fiasco that was. We got there promptlyat 10:00 and did not get into the main Hall until after 11:00 because of the large numbers attending. Most came to see Stan Lee, I guess, but there was no sign of him unless you paid a fortune for the privilege. As for the comic and graphic novel sellers, there were no more there than you would find at the regular London events at the Bedford Hotel with free entry. Also with the large number people there, they were fighting to get to look at the items on display. What a let down!
  8. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

I'll assume you're asking a serious question, and will reply thusly:

Depending on how you've agreed to pay for your subscription (e.g. monthly invoice, direct debit, or via credit/debit card), you will receive a statement showing what's been shipped to you, and what the charges are, that you owe.

If you are paying by Invoice, then you need to check that the details are correct, and then pay it. If you're paying by credit/debit card, or direct debit, then the invoice is to notify you of how much Hachette are going to take from your bank account, within 14 days of that invoice being produced!

Pooch
  9. dillondford

dillondford Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for that.
    I had a blonde moment :laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. dillondford

dillondford Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys sorry to keep bringing this thread up but i was worrying slightly lastnight that Hachette may try to take £20 after say a week of me already paying £20 but i need at least 3 weeks before i can pay every £20. So i wanted to ask do they send you an invoice when the goods are ready to be sent (roughly 3 weeks) ?
    Sorry if it doesn't make that much sense.
  11. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,200
    Wow been away from this thread for weeks. Totally forgot with being off sick. Anyway I received my issues 2-3 last week and a letter stating they were waiting more stock of the free gifts. I've not even opened xmen or iron man yet!
    I go for an op this Thursday so might take them into hospital with me. :smashin:
  12. ODB_69

ODB_69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,989
    Hello!

missed this thread...is it too late to subscribe? Very tempted to get these
  13. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

Dillondford asked:
    You will need to speak to Hachette for full confirmation, but I have a feeling that once the invoice or statement is sent to you, you have between 10 and 14 days before the money is taken from your credit/debit card, or your bank account (if you've set-up a Direct Debit). If, however, you have chosen to pay by Invoice, then you may get away with paying it a little on the late-side. However, I would defiinitely do my best to pay it on time, as non-payment can a) put all subsequent issues on hold, until the outstanding amount is paid in full; b) affect your credit status, and c) cause other problems.

ODB_69 - You have until the publication of Issue 6 which will be out in the first week of March, to be eligible for ALL of the free gifts (free Issue 3, bag, ZAP bookends, Hulk DVD, and mug). If you wish to subscribe, do so ASAP, and call them. Don't rely on their website subscription form! If you subscribe after Issue 6, I don't think you get the bookends, nor the Free Issue 3, but you should get the rest of the freebies... But do double-check this with Hachette!

Addyb - Hope all goes well with the op. :) And yes, I'd definitely take the novels with you to read. Issue 3 - Iron Man: Extremis - is a fantastic story, and very dark in tone.

Pooch
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  14. ODB_69

ODB_69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,989
    Thanks Pooch!

Does the price include postage btw? I saw an earlier post with someone (actually may have been yourself) saying they'd been charged more than expected
  15. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi ODB_69,

You're welcome! :) If you subscribe, all items and issues are delivered to you free of charge.

Therefore, at two issues per month, at £9-99 per issue, you should expect to pay £19-98 per month, via your subscription. The first couple of invoices may differ from this, as it will depend on:

1) What issue you subscribe from, AND

2) What issues they can send out to you in the first couple of packages, (as they don't currently have stock of all of the first five issues - see Post #119 from 20th Feb 2012 here for an explanation)

Any more queries or questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to help you (or anyone else) out. :)

Pooch
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. ODB_69

ODB_69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,989
    thanks again Pooch. I'll order this afternoon then

final question - Could you point me in the direction of the number I need to ring and anything I need to quote etc please. I want to subscribe from Issue 1 obvo but I see there is a shortage currently of those issues so happy to start wherever. Seeing the big image of all the issues together looks great, I hope they do the Punisher one soon!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,200
    Thanks pooch. I was tempted to read dark phoenix earlier. I will save them for hospital though. Really enjoyed the spiderman issue and looking forward to the rest. I used to be a big hulk and thor fan as a kid but cant reallly remember what i read.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. ODB_69

ODB_69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,989
    just subscribed. I gave up twice though cause the operators couldnt understand me lol

all ordered, starting from issue 1 which is on back order
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi ODB_69,

Although it sounds like you've successfully subscribed, just in case, the best number to call is their London HQ number, which is:

0207-014-5950

Explain that you've been having problems subscribing, or whatever, and someone there should be able to help you out. :) Just make sure you explain what issue(s) you want/need to subscribe from, and that you want to make sure that you get all of the free gifts, which are:

- Free "THE HULK" movie on DVD
    - Free sports bag/holdall
    - Free ZAP Bookends
    - Free mug
    - Free Issue 3 (Iron Man - Extremis)

Lastly, as far as I know, there won't be any volumes featuring The Punisher, due to the (often) adult content that his character's stories deal in. The publishers, Hachette, didn't want to include any material that was likely to cause major offence or upset, and so have been really careful to not include any characters or stories that deal with realistic or sadistic violence. Issue 3 - "Iron Man: Extremis" - is likely to be the one volume that pushes the boundaries, and if you've read it, you'll see what I mean, as they are aiming the entire collection from people aged 14 and over.

As most of "The Punisher" stories are now published under the Marvel Max Extreme label, (I think that's what it's called), and are aimed at readers 17 years and over, Hachette have purposely chosen not to include any of his stories, which I am saddened by, but I can certainly understand.

Pooch
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  20. ChrisSmith24

ChrisSmith24 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    OK - I finally received a reply from an email I sent them ages ago - might be of interest to anyone who has just / is thinking about subscribing now.

I asked what would happen as I subscribed from issue 1 when 4 or so issues were already out - would I receive all the back issues at once to catch up, or would it still be 2 issues per month.
    They say that they will only send 2 issues per month - which is fair enough. They don't see it as being behind as every subscription starts at a different time and will have a different dispatch schedule accordingly - e.g. whilst earlier subscribers are currently at issue 5 or so, later subscribers are not, and any new subscribers (if they start with issue 1) will start from the beginning.

I'm fine with this as I doubt I'd have time to read more than 2 per month anyway, but one slightly annoying thing is that if you start with issue 1, the first dispatch is only issue 1, which means it'll probably be about a month and a half before I get 2 and 3. Unluckily I've already got the Coming Home storyline from the short time I bought Astonishing Spiderman (along with Revelations if the leaked list is to be believed - the only 2 I've read out of them all! :smashin:) which means only getting issue 1 this month is slightly disappointing. :(

Pooch - are you sure about the Punisher?
    The leaked list seems pretty accurate so far (admittedly early days) and that suggests two Punisher issues - Welcome Back Frank parts 1 and 2.

Also, when I log into the Hachette website and look at my subscription details - under transactions it says "22/02/12 - graphic novel 1 - £2.99"
    Does this mean it was dispatched on the 22nd - or was that when they took the money from my account - or both?
    Thanks
  21. dillondford

dillondford Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I also subscribed from issue 1 on the 13th (of this month) and mine says the same on the site buut when i emailed them about a week ago the person who mailed me back said my first dispatch will be going out today (29th) so we will see. And yeah i think they should at least send us 1 & 2 to help us catch up a bit at least :)
  22. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

Chris asked:
    I'm not 100% certain, but that was what they were initially saying. However, things can change, so you never know there may be a "Punisher" volume at some point in time. However, I suspect it will be a "safe" one, and not some of the more contentious, violent, or profane ones. ;)

With regards to the transaction on your account, the date and price is referring to when the issue was taken from the Warehouse Stock supply and allocated to your subscription number, and neither implies the date that that was sent to you, NOR when you will have been/are due to make payment.

Dillon asked:
    Alas, it's not a case of Hachette not wanting to allow subscribers to catch-up, and all be at the same volume at the same time, but a case of what stock they have available to subscribers to actually send out. If you read one of my previous posts, then you will note that many of the first four issues were out of stock, and are only just starting to come back into stock with Hachette. However, they will allocate them, in order of subscription number.

So, if 5000 copies of Issue 1 come in, then the first 5000 Subscribers who still need Issue 1 will get them. The next block of subscribers will have to wait until the next batch of Issue 1 becomes available. Likewise, if 2500 copies of Issue 2 comes in, then the first 2500 people who need Issue 2 will get that allocated to them, and the rest of the subscribers will have to wait for the next batch to become available.

It's the only way to safely make sure that everyone gets every issue they need, in a fair manner. That way, new subscribers don't "jump to the front of the queue", and also so that Hachette don't end-up with large numbers of spare copies of certain issues that no one needs any more. :)

Pooch
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  23. ODB_69

ODB_69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,989
    tried to ring them using that number pooch but the person put me straight through to the other line...who then couldnt understand me :(
  24. dillondford

dillondford Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah i meant to put a 'lol' as i didn't mean it i understand companys and such don't and won't change for a few people.
    But yeah i get what your saying, and can i add that your very helpful in your posts :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. ODB_69

ODB_69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,989
    How do you get website account details if you registered by phone?
  26. SpiderFan86

SpiderFan86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm a little bit of a newbie when it comes to subscribing. Could someone tell me how it works? I recieved issue 1 mid Jan(ish) but have yet to recieve issue 2 & 3 yet they took the money out of my bank for those this morning. Has that happened to anyone else paying by direct debit? Like I said I'm a bit of a newbie so I'm not sure whether they should have charged me yet or not

Thanks
  27. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

Ask if a lady called Bridgette Ford can ring you back, as she is the Head of Customer Services. If you politely explain that you are having major problems with your subscription, AND that the Customer Services teams have been thus far unable to help you out, she should call you back later that day. :)

dillondford - Thanks for the kind words. Just trying to help anyone else out on here, who is having issues with this - clearly - very commercially successful part-work. :)

Hi SpiderFan - Rather than me repeating a large amount of stuff, I would recommend that you read the following posts from me, that should explain how the Subscription service works:

Post 115 will give you info on how the service works.

Post 119 will explain why you may not get the first few issues in the correct order.

Post 155, Post 158, and Post 163 discuss how you will be invoiced, depending on what method of payment you told Hachette you were going to pay by.

If after reading all of that, you still need help, post a message in this thread with your questions or queries, and I'll do my best to help you out. However, all of the above posts should answer most questions for the time being. :)

Pooch
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,973
    We only have the six we already know plus ones we have from the backs of books, so hard to say if that leaked list is concrete, but if it is, and it contains Welcome Back Frank, its a fantastic bok, and well worth picking up. And yes, its Garth Ennis at his best, limbs and blood all over the shop, massively over exagerated characters and plenty of violence. Drawn by Steve Dillion as well, who brings it all to life just perfick.

Not a 'safe' one at all. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. BluWarfareHD09

BluWarfareHD09 Active Member

Ratings:
    +181
    Just emailed them about been overcharged, as I didn't feel it was right for me to be billed 10p a minute for there mistake
  30. ChrisSmith24

ChrisSmith24 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    My first issue arrived this morning - which is good.
    The book itself is excellent quality and I was pleased to see it came with the poster you would have got if you bought the magazine from a newsagent.

I can't say I was impressed by the packaging though - it came in a box that was far wider than it needed to be (I'm sure you could fit more than five issues in it), and the box itself was actually ripped open at one end - probably due to the book having far too much room and falling into it if the package was tipped. Luckily as far as I'm aware this delivery only included issue 1 which was present but the hole was big enough so that you could easily see what was inside the parcel and smaller items could easily have fallen out.

The issue / poster were (luckily) fine and sealed in plastic but there was nothing else in the box to prevent damage. The wasn't even any tape sealing the opening bit of the parcel, which is probably why it had already come open itself.

Is this the usual packaging?
    I know you usually receive 2 issues but even then it seems far, far too big considering there was nothing holding the book in place.

Thanks