Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVA thats Nene Valley audio are still going

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by la gran siete, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. la gran siete

la gran siete Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,412
    I was amazed as I thought they'd gone but they sell their products via Ebay:) If their products are as good as they were back in the eighties they'd be well worth a punt in my view. Truly minimalist as well.Anyone know anything about them?
  2. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am signed up here now if anyone wants to ask me anything!!! Though please not how my products compare with competitors, you will just be told to listen :lesson: :)

Richard Dunn
  3. Psilonaught

Psilonaught Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i was wondering of you could post some more detailed specs and pics of rhte NVA A40 mono blocks?? Am thinking about adding a pair to a Sony AV amp to power the fronts.
  4. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Specs are meaningless I could virtually make up what ever you want to hear. The 40s can be used in an AV set up but only if you buy the VC option to go with them otherwise the levels wont be right and the 40's will need the pot as protection from the active stages in the processor, remember they are designed only to be used with a passive pre so there is very low input capacitance. Think of the 10 series for bedroom or v high efficiency speakers through 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 - 60 - 70 - 80 series products. Nominally that dictates output wattage but that is a very simplistic way of assessing amplifiers, in fact power supply VA is at least equally as important. How long is a piece of string always comes to mind when asked these questions about specs. There is only one thing that is important and that is your ears. Check out the website for design inf www.nene-valley-audio.com

Pics are very difficult, have you ever tried to photograph a black mirror 'cos that is the surface, it is next to impossible. I try but they just flare, reflect everything around them or just dissapear into the background. Anyway they are black perspex boxes, no screws.

Richard
  5. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,412
    welcome on board.:)
    could you tell me whether one of your integrateds would work ok in a 2.1 system?
    Thanks
  6. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn New Member

Ratings:
    +1

I don't see why not, apart from a personal distaste for subwoofers. I wish someone would explain why not just get a pair of speakers with decent bass drivers?? Though I am also not into AV I am afraid, I am just an old two channel dinosaur. Is it due to big magnets pulling the picture?

Richard
  7. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,412
    I ask because I am not in the sligtest bit technical. Anyway I bought these two very small speakers to go in a small room as I wanted them to be unobstrusive so I kind of placed them in a shelving system where I have all my other gear and a Mac computer Heresy I know but I got tired of staring at bix boxes on ugly stands. Still not an object of great beauty mind but better. These speakers were recommended to me , they are single driver ones and originally I wanted a pair of them :
    http://www.norh.com/products/norh3/index.html
    but it became impossible to get any kind of reply from the manufacturer who nevertheless has interesting website.He does it as some kind of hobby I think nad is also very opiniated( quelle surprise:) )Anyway I gave up and bought TBI Diamonds instead
  8. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,412
    Question: Why does the nOrh loudspeaker sound better than other loudspeakers?

A good loudspeaker design must start with high quality drivers. We use only drivers from Vifa and Scanspeak. We do not source cheap "no-name" Asian drivers as many companies now do. We mount these drivers in high quality cabinets that do not have parallel surfaces. This is important because parallel surfaces create standing waves. We carefully calculate the right size to make the cabinet and we tune the port to get the best sound possible from a given driver/cabinet combination. We also use only high quality parts for our crossover. Our crossovers are designed for us by DACT.

Think about what happens with most loudspeakers. When the speaker produces energy, there is energy produced inside and outside the cabinet. The energy inside the cabinet tries to find a way out of the box. Usually it tries to go out through the woofer. Most speakers are stuffed with damping material that converts the sound energy into heat. Given that most loudspeakers are rectangles, the sound energy bounces back and forth inside the cabinet. This dulls the sound and reduces the loudspeakers ability to produce loud undistorted sound.

We currently employ two original designs to eliminate the problems of most loudspeaker cabinets. The primary design is the drum shape which we call an inverted horn. We mount the speakers on a front baffle and use the inverted horn shape to naturally attenuate the energy that would normally trapped in the loudspeaker. The energy is efficiently directed to the rear port where the energy is use to reinforce the bass.

The Prism is carefully designed to eliminate standing waves inside the speaker. Because there are no 90 degree angles in the loudspeaker, all sound energy hits the surface of the speaker at an angle less than 90 degrees. This lowers the amount of energy that can be absorbed by the cabinet itself. There are no parallel surfaces. The Prism design allows us to create larger cabinets using traditional materials that sound better than standard cabinets.

We also experiment and use superior materials that reflect rather than absorb sound energy. We are producing loudspeakers made from marble and ceramics. The goal is to create loudspeakers with superior shapes/using superior materials that will result in the finest sounding loudspeakers available. Our design goals are to create loudspeakers that:

Produces undistorted loud music and

Produces solid bass.

The drum cabinet is one to two inches thick making it very rigid. However, no matter how rigid a structure is, all structures will react to resonance's. Consider the Takoma-Narrows Bridge that tore itself apart November 7, 1940 when wind caused it to resonate. Bridges are now tuned in the same way as speakers are to make sure they don't tear themselves apart. Building a loudspeaker out of concrete will make it rigid. However, you still must consider the way it reacts to resonance's.

We invite you to continue to read about the unique qualities of the nOrh loudspeaker. Remember that when you buy from us, you are buying from a company that is doing this simply because we like doing it.

Our philosophy is to offer our customers the best value and quality we possibly can while generating just enough profit to offer opportunities for Thais. We want to pay our employees for their hard work. We want to invest in new products. I will take no money from nOrh. All of the money will go for new products, employee benefits and customer service.

Sincerely,

Michael C. Barnes
  9. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Go to ebay and buy some S/H 1990's JPW's, they really sing - so musical - they are out of vogue so you can pick them up for about £20. I know nothing about sub woofer sound quality apart from the ones I have heard just made the music disjointed.

Richard
  10. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn New Member

Ratings:
    +1

The main advantage of single drivers is - All things being equal simplicity is the best solution to any problem. Only complicate when simplicity creates an inherent deficiency. All electronic design is compromise - you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

Richard
  11. trailer

trailer Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    So no hard drive streaming music servers in the pipe line then?

Seriously, good to see NVA still in business. I nearly went down the NVA route in the 90's and thought they had disappeared too.
  12. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn New Member

Ratings:
    +1
  13. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,412
    Funnily enough I use to have a pair of JPWs . Gave them away:rolleyes: some years ago. Anyway Michael Barnes argues that rectangular boxes are not an ideal container for speakers just ease of manufacture makes them popular with makers.

Thye TBIs single drivers are ok and for the most part I keep the sub off. Its just when I fancy some grunt it goes on:)
  14. Member 96948

Member 96948 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,856
    Absolutely stunning cabinet build quality too, thanks to the inmates of HMP Dartmoor. It's a shame the size and shape of box became unfashionable, but I can remember flogging the AP1, 2 & 3 back in the early 90s. They made the massively popular Mission 760i/780se line sound like transistor radios, but What Hifi liked them, so JPW were stuffed. Happy days.:rolleyes:

My dad has a P50 and what I believe to be a preproduction A50(?) bought at some show or other direct from yourself- It's got a metal cabinet and no markings beyond the NVA sticker. They were both briefly out of favour when he bought a more recent AP50, but that's now with my brother-in-law since a scientist friend dropped all sorts of expensive components into the A50(?).

Lovely gear, sterling service and top value.:smashin:

BTW, how much is the CDP? Can't seem to find any mention of it on the Fleabay store.

Cheers,

Russell

Russell
  15. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The CDP was based on rebuilt existing components. We had a deal with NAD to buy their player and butcher it and modify it and the same arrangement with QED and the digit, they incorporated some of our mods latter in their add on PSU's. Anyway neither unit is in production any more and I don't have time to start the design (mod :) ) process for production with anything new. I intend to only stay small production and have no intention of trying to compete with the big boys. I am no businessman, just an enthusiast who builds for people who want. The problem with CDP's is you have to have a minimum buy of 1000 transports to make anything financially worthwhile. I amuse myself with buying old CDP's for £10 or £20 on ebay and modding them up until they sing :clap: There are some really unfashionable things with names you have never heard of but with good transports, I will not name names as then I get competition in bidding for them :D

Richard
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,412
    I remember some fo the shops that sold Audioi Innovations/Snell/Rock gear back in the eighties also sold JPW 2&3 and Sugden amps as a sort of poor man's alternatives. Dealer I spoke to was always kind of dismissive of them:confused:
    I thought Richard was refering to these:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-OF-JPW-S...2QQihZ006QQcategoryZ14991QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  17. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,412
  18. slingshot

slingshot Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Glad to see NVA are still around, I had an NVA integrated when I was back at Uni, bought from Musical Approach in Stafford, replaced a Creek and was leagues better. Can't remember the model number but it was an all metal case.

Kept me entertained for about 15 years with a Revolver turntable and Linn Index speakers. In the end the left channel stopped working, wish I'd kept it and got it repaired though, gave it to a friend who used the case for a DIY project! God I'm sounding old, that was in the good old days before all this multi-channel rubish.

Slingshot
  19. Member 96948

Member 96948 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,856
    I think those are JPW Minims (small standmount) which I'm not even sure were assembled by JPW. They sounded fine, but bore none of the trademark finish of the P series. The P1s looked like a deep pair of Heybrook HP1s and had a similar driver line up.

Russell
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Osamede

Osamede Member

Ratings:
    +47
    NVA Richard, I tried contacting you via Ebay but didnt get a reply.

My question is: what is the item weight and shipping weight of your pre-amps?

Thanks......
  21. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Why? the shipping is free of charge for new units anywhere in the world.
  22. ForestGump

ForestGump Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I’m looking to buy a new solid state amp and preamp with a musical true to life sound. I have owned Onkyo, Nakamichi, Rotel, Linn and YBA systems. I have been doing some research on NVA (Nene Valley Audio) http://stores.ebay.com/nene-valley-audio or http://www.nene-valley-audio.com/ and I’m interested in the A30 power amplifier and the P50 passive preamplifier. In doing my research on their products I have only heard good things about them.

I’ve search Audiogon, eBay, and the web and no one seems to be selling their old NVA units! I only see the owner of NVA selling the product! So I’m assuming once you own a NVA unit you don’t get rid of it like most other HiFi units and upgrade!
    My concern is how many people actually own any NVA units? If you own a NVA unit what specifically do you own such as (power amp, preamp, phono amp, headphone amp or an integrated amp)? What do you like or dislike about the NVA products?

If you own an integrated amp or power amp from NVA what kind of speakers are you using with them? I am currently using a custom home made Buschhorn and BIB full range speakers with 90dB sensitivity and the AP10 integrated amp (15 Watts), AP20 integrated amp (25 Watts) and AP30 integrated amp or A30 power amp (30 Watts) are more than enough power to drive my speakers. So do you think the NVA power amps and integrated amplifiers are right for my custom speakers or are they suited for a more powerful speaker?

Lastly I’m also interested in NVA’s CD player either the CD30 or CD50. Does NVA still sell the CD players and if so how much, where do you buy them and how do they sound? If you had to compare the NVA CD player what would be a good comparison?

Thank you for any advice.
    [​IMG]
  23. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I posted a reply in the other thread but I use my (recently aquired A60) amp with Linn Ninka speakers and Nordost Solar Wind speaker cable. It might be worth mailing NVA direct to ask about the suitability of your speakers (I know that the amps don't like speakers with complicated crossovers).
  24. fad gadget

fad gadget Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What are the advantages of selling your gear on e-bay, as opposed to opening a shop in the high street.
  25. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Quite clearly reduced overheads in the form of no sales staff,reduced office costs,and reduced property overheads.
  26. zycomatique

zycomatique Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm interest in NVA products (especialy integrated amplifiers).
    What is the sonic signature of such a stuff?
    Could it match with my sonic tastes? (I like single ended 845 valve design and Npass Aleph 3).

Have a good day: David
  27. Gordab

Gordab Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I think the simple answer to your question is cost and convenience.

- A pair of floorstanders reaching down to 20hz is a lot more expensive (although generally better quality also) than buying a good quality pair that reach down to ~40hz plus a good quality sub.

- Many people have to compromise and have a combined AV/Stereo system therefore the sub is available anyway.

Obviously, you could reply that this isn't your market, and I'd agree :) If I had the budget/room I'd ceretainly look at your products.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  28. barcoed

barcoed New Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Odd - my post appears to have disappeared without a trace? - Perhaps it's spending a year dead for tax reasons.
  29. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    I removed it as the other party complained about the content of the post.
  30. barcoed

barcoed New Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I just received this PM from Alexs2 (Mod) after he removed my second post:

- I now can’t believe anything I read on this forum as it’s so chopped about by the MODS.

Perhaps if I’d been singing the praises of the other party they would have removed that too?

This forum is a sham!

Goodbye.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.