Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not another panasonic viera post (overscan issues and a cry for help)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GalacticaActual, Aug 27, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual Active Member

Ratings:
    +187
    Has any one out there succesuflly adjusted the overscan on a panasonic viera plasma. I know you can do it via the vga port input for pc's but I need to do it for the compont input for the dvd player.
    I can get into the service mode. once you are in, you have to go through all the options untill you get to the end and then change the channel to 99. once there, you press hold on the remote and service 2 comes up. once in service 2 you can scroll troughh the options untill you get to the v-amp and h-amp adjustments. The only problem is that the v-amp and h-amp adjustments just seem to move the whole picture up or down or side to side exactly like the v-postion and h-postion options :confused: :confused: also you can not seem to change the channel in this mode so you are trying to adjust things with a picture of static snowy imagery :confused: .
    I must be doing something wrong. surly there is a way to bring the sides of the picture in a bit. The overscan its self is just past the 5% lines on the digital video essentials dvd test pattern for oversan and sharpness.The overscan is on the left and right side of the picture. top and bottom seem to be ok.
    This is the only thing that is bugging me about my new purchase. Infact its bugging me more that I cant find a way to fix it :laugh: :laugh: than the actuall problem its self.
    I know all plasmas and crts over scan and I know that broadcasters are aware of this and frame thier pictures to allow for it. Movies on the other hand do seem to be affected by this. I was watching a film last night and the first lettter of someones name was missing of the screen in the credits. Not a problem in its self but it does then remind me that there is a problem with the overscan. I dont want to send the thing back just because of this.Apart from this minor problem I am well pleased. :) Wolud the purchase of a scaler help?
    Some one out there in the vastness of av land must know what to do. Please for the sacke of my sainaty, HELP. :)
    Many thanks to anyone that can put me right.
    Dave. :)
  2. GalacticaActual

Ratings:
    +187
    One bump of this thread to try and get help on the matter :)
  3. red severn

red severn Member

Ratings:
    +9
    hi david
    i have simalar problem and are trying to find info my problem is piture more to the left and slightly lower using componant prog scan input . altering h pos or v pos moved tv or rgb av1 piture but had no affect on componant input so i need help and will not mess till i have good info,
    regards red.
  4. Piers

Piers Member

Ratings:
    +231
    David,

24 hours and no sign of help! I will try (but I have not got a Viera here so cannot test it - i do have a PW4).

The Pannys have multiple memories and you have to be in the right one when carrying out any adjustment for it to "stick". You are trying to adjust the component memory. Fire up DVE on your DVD, go to the overscan pattern then go into the service menu. Scroll down to the H-amp setting (you shouldn't have lost the picture - if you have I am lost!). Adjust the h-amp setting to get the overscan right. Switch off, then back on and the setting shoild have been saved.

Piers
    Home Cinema Engineering
  5. Andy C

Andy C Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the problem with the Viera is that there are two service menues. To access the 2nd menu where h-amp and v-amp are found you have to turn to channel 99, loosing the DVD picture. Also, from what Davis is saying, it appears v/h-amp are only shifting the picture the same as v/h-position would and not resizing it.
  6. MAW

MAW New Member

Ratings:
    +483
    I don't think there is a cure for this on a Viera. It's a feature it loses from the PW series.
  7. GalacticaActual

Ratings:
    +187

Exactly right!!!! :smashin:

the V-amp and H-amp seem to be doing the same as the V postion and h-postion ie moving the whole picture up and down or side to side :confused:
    They are not bringing in the picture both sides at the same time so the oversacn can not be adjusted. bringing these options up in the service menu is not a problem, geting them to work right is. Why have these options in the service menu if they dont do what they are supposed to do :confused: :confused: Very, very , very strange indeed. :)
  8. MAW

MAW New Member

Ratings:
    +483
    Things not doing what they are supposed to is a usual feature on Panasonics in general. Look at the furore over DVI on the 6 series!
  9. red severn

red severn Member

Ratings:
    +9
    hi david,
    made some progress but its been heavy going -

1 found that when i tried a ntsc thx setup disc (thx pal disc give me same results as vid ess pal disc so i excepted thx as a good test plus i have got pal and ntsc discs to try) zone plate good
    i tried rgb scart against componant both identical and well inside overall frame size.
    i then hit progressive scan and piture went out of frame size slighty .

my thoughts are because screen resolution 852-480 the 480i ntsc is correctly suited forget progressive scan for now

2 found when i tried pal test discs it was sligthly out at the left side on both rgb and componant yet when i hit progressive scan now pal it went further
    out to left and bottom

i put this down to screen conversion of a525i/p signal on 480 screen

the funny thing is that when using ntsc discs you do not lose any piture info
    and a very little (all the way round ) using ntsc progressive i was totally happy with this result its with pal that you lose a small amount this again to most people would not be a problem but to some it may irritate.

as regards altering the h amp v amp h pos v pos it does work but the trick is that each adjustment is stored with each aspect ratio so if you alter h amp when you are in 16x9 mode if you then have dvd to pan auto it looks like nothing has happened ifound that turning progressive scan off whilst setting up and using panasonic auto then set your relative inputs to this i got
    yery good results perfect for ntsc and very good pal tv/dvb perfect games console very good .

there is one other thing i have noticed the panasonic some how always tries to show as much info as it can regardless of settings which is why i have been able to get them all under the one setting very clever.

i do not have all the answers so please if my theorys wrong but it does show
    that these setup discs can gave you problems you do not have ,the easy way is try film on another tv with good zone plate andsee what your not missing
    rgards red
  10. Andy C

Andy C Member

Ratings:
    +0
    red,

Do you know if these settings are stored separately for each input also (av1, av2, component), or is it just for each aspect setting?

Thanks,
    Andy.
  11. red severn

red severn Member

Ratings:
    +9
    hi andy
    because your resizing the screen it the aspect ratio your altering and should effect all inputs as long your not in progressive scan
    regards red
  12. GalacticaActual

Ratings:
    +187
    Right. I think we might not quite be on the same page here so here goes.

my problems are as follows.

using the test pattern on the pal digital video esstials dvd for overscan and sharpness I set my tv to wide mode / 16/9. on this setting wich is the one that is used the most , you can see the 5% safe action lines at the top and bottom of the screen but on the left and right you can not. the picture is overscaned past the lines probably so that if it were numbered it would be about 7 or 8%. It is like this on all other modes apart from 4:3. In this mode you can see the pattern past the 5% lines top and bottom and on the sides. this mode seems to have been the best set up at the factory.
    If I go in to the service mode I encounter various problems. In order to get to the v-amp and h-amp settings you need to use service mode 2. to do this you must change the plasma to channel 99 and press hold(while still in the service menu 1 mode). once you are in this mode on this channel you are unable to change the channel back to see the test pattern on the dvd player. the plasma just wont let you change the channel. :confused:
    I thought I would try and adjust the over scan anyway by changing the value of the h-amp setting . Even with the picture just showing static you should be able to do this!!. Unfortunantly all the h-amp setting does is exactly the same as the h-postion , it moves the whole picture across the screen from left to right and does not bring both sides of the picture in like it should do :confused: .
    So there is either a problem with the plasma it self or I am doing something wrong.
    Any Idears?
  13. red severn

red severn Member

Ratings:
    +9
    hi david
    i understand what your saying i to have the pal vid ess disc but used thx as this also has a 16x9 frame as well and i have both pal and ntsc versions as you are aware pal dvd 525i/p ntsc 480 i/p the same as the sreen 852x480

i compared the thx and vid ess frame to be in same position
    i to can get in and out of service menus ok
    i was also able to bring the piture in and out using amp modes and move the piture postion using the pos modes it does work the trick is not to be in the wide mode manually select 16x9 aspect ratio also no progressive scan as this auto selects wide.
    best way is manually select aspect ratio with no piture when on channel 99 as it wont auto switch
    you are right about altering in ch99 so i altered came out of service and compared by leaving dvd on and then selecting av mode to check
    please try american thx dvd if you have got one first
    hope this helps
    red
  14. GalacticaActual

Ratings:
    +187
    NO , still not working.
    I have tried selecting the 16;9 mode. I am not using progressive scan as the picture is just static snow on channel 99. i get in to service mode 2. I have the h-amp setting on the screen. I move it up to plus 125 or down to -125. all it does is exactly the same as the h postion setting. the whole screen moves rather than bring it in on both sides to reduce the over scan. Software fault?
    You dont happen to live anyware near wickford in essex do you :D
  15. blindlemon

blindlemon Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David :)

Did you manage to get this sorted? I'm very close to buying a Viera now but I hate overscan so this has got me worried again...
  16. blindlemon

blindlemon Guest

Ratings:
    +0