Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia N9 preview thread

Discussion in 'Nokia Mobile Phones' started by SHATNERSTACTIC, Jun 21, 2011.

1. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC Active Member

Ratings:
    +411
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. andy1000

andy1000 Member

Ratings:
    +66
    The GSM Arena 'preview' gives a pretty comphrehensive round-up of the N9 and Meego OS

MeeGo-based Nokia N9 with a 3.9-inch AMOLED announced - GSMArena.com news

I like the swipe-gesture and simple OS concept, though according to the GSM Arena round-up it will require a micro-sim like the iPhone 4.

Plus I can't find any reference to the physical size of the handset - I just hope it's not too think as that's one of the factors that's gone against Nokia smartphones for me since i've been interested in phones over the last year or so!
  3. Hooligaani

Hooligaani Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    I just had a quick go of it, seems to be a lovely bit of kit, just a shame that it wasn't released 3 years ago :(
    Really smooth transactions between screens, lovely lock screen, free GPS and the homebrew crowd behind it.

hopefully it's a winner!!
  4. Hooligaani

Hooligaani Active Member

Ratings:
    +340

It's a bit taller than the iphone4 and about the same thickness and width.
  5. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,031
  6. Hooligaani

Hooligaani Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    Haha that video is made by the guy I was chatting with, small world :D
  7. borc49

borc49 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wouldn't mind one of these, looking pretty slick! wonder what pricing is gunna be.
  8. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I really like the aesthetic. I wish they didn't put their logo on the front though.
  9. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,971
    When is this released?
  10. cmt

cmt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +217
    Looks nice - would like to get a hands on, and might be a refreshing change from iOS / WP7 / Android etc.
  11. andy1000

andy1000 Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Those dimensions sound pretty good. Even though I've got big hands, I find it difficult to operate phones that are too big. My Galaxy S is manageable but my Omnia 7 was a tad too big (perhaps because it was thicker and blockier?), though I liked my iPhone 4 for the fact I could type one-handed one it too.

Same here, it seems simple easy to get to use all the apps/functions/notifications. Though I said similar about Windows Phone 7 and soon got bored off that! :rolleyes:
  12. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Here's the N9 announcement from back in June. The guy presenting is called Marko Ahtisaari and he's the head of design at Nokia. I like his presentation style which has a bit of Steve Jobs about it:

Here he is doing an interesting talk about mobile phones and the N9 at Copenhagen Design Week:

‘Patterns of Human Interaction'
  14. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,832
    At last, been waiting for an N9 review:cool:

As much as I've said for years I won't buy another phone without a qwerty(since being disappointed with the iphone 3G I've owned a Blackberry Bold, Bold 9000, Moto Milestone, Palm Pre2 and currently a Nokia E7:D), but I must say I'd be very temtped by this if I had the opportunity and the money for a sim-free.

What a stunning phone, and you won't see many of these around(I love to be different).

Do want! *wipes drool*
  15. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,832
    The missus saw me oggling over the review and fancies getting it for me for Christmas:eek::D

Have a couple concerns though, I'm not too bothered about a huge app store and Symbian for instance has more than cattered for my needs, but I have relied on Sygic GPS for a good couple of years now and I'm doubtful it will be supported on this phone(anyone know if the Symbian download would work on MeeGo? Perhaps I'd need to get in touch with Sygic for this question).

Only other concern, or more unfortunate design, is that looking at the power charge slot and it's classy little hinged cover, there will obviously be no chance of a desktop/bedside dock and I like to use my phone as my bedside clock(serves double purpose as also means I never forget to recharge my phone for the next day).

Anyway, going to look more into this phone as it's certainly grabbed my interest now!

If anyone finds good prices from reputable dealers(seen some very good prices, but companies I've never heard of so wouldn't trust them) then please post them here:thumbsup:
  16. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Handtec now have some in stock at £574.79.

in my experience handtec are often the cheapest place to buy sim free handsets, but this is too pricey for my liking.

edit: just noticed that price is for the 64gb version. They have the 16gb priced at £515 with stock due soon.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  17. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,832
    So after all that, Nokia have decided not to release the N9 within the UK, leaving us with just the WP7 Lumia 800 instead:thumbsdow

Nokia dumped N9 for Lumia 800 in UK | News | TechRadar UK

Having read up and watched videos of both handsets/ operating systems in detail, the N9 looks by far the more tempting phone for my taste. As someone that isn't really interested in social networking the Lumia 800 doesn't have the slickness of Meego I feel.

Ah well, easy decision for me then, stick with my trusty E7 until the end(Symbian still has plenty to offer). Oh and I see Handtec now only have the above mentioned N9 as preorder as opposed to in stock, doubt they'll be getting any personally. In any case that would have been too high a price for me also.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  18. TROYBOY

TROYBOY Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Expansys are selling this handset now...
  19. silent ninja

silent ninja Active Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Interesting. No sale at £500. Pretty ridiculous for an obsolete OS to cost that much but I'm sure there are people out there who will get it particularly for that reason. This has gotta come in around £300 to attract me. With every passing day, it needs to drop further (esp with Adroid 4.0).
  20. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,463
    I think people will get it because some reviews suggest Nokia may have been on the cusp of greatness had they not decided to ditch it. As accomplished as you may judge the software I would be surprised if people are putting that much weight in being "unique". £500 is a lot to pay for that privilege as practically it is a dead platform
  21. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,971
    Just bought one of these from handtec. Can't wait to try it out. Absolutely loved webOS on the pre2 and do miss the swipe features that brought to the table.
  22. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,832
    hehe, glad you took the plunge, guess we'll both be receiving the same time(did you go for overnight(Thurs) delivery too?

Meego looks absolutely superb and like yourself can't wait to exeperience it in person.

My only reservation had been the lack of Sygic GPS on Meego(I use it all the time), but in the end I decided to retire my trusty E7 to navigation duties and the N9 will be my phone phone:D
  23. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,971
    Not sure on delivery just went with the default. It was £6 extra I think. Said next day delivery so I guess it will come Thursday. Maybe we can get a mod to rename the thread to "addyGO, LeeGo talk MeeGO" :D

Be good to share experiences and knowledge with this as it has got a pretty good homebrew/dev community.
  24. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,832
    :laugh:

As for delivery, that's the same one I went for as if I'd chosen the 2-5 day cheaper option you could garauntee it'd be next week:eek: haha, after all the umming and ahhing the past week(even ordered then canceled through amazon.de a couple of days ago, lol) I can't wait any longer!

Good news is I recently found out that some N9's are made in China, but if you look in the Q&A of Handtec someone had asked this question and they confirmed Made in Finland. Shouldn't matter maybe, and call me silly but I've always liked the little Made in Finland on my Nokias:D, everythings made in China these days!

Will be nice to share little hints and tips here with your goodself, as at time of ordering I wasn't even going to bother reviving this thread as didn't think there would be any other N9 owners on AVF(the E7 thread was bad enough!), especially with the death of interest upon release.

Roll on Thursday, will be a very long day at work!
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  25. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,971
    Yeah nice little touches like that make it more special. I've been looking at cases but can't find any I like. Either cheap ***** or ones with girly patterns on them. As for work well ive just been signed off for at least 4 weeks. Was in hospital last Friday/Saturday with ongoing kidney issues (stones and cysts) and pain has been terrible. Got an op on 1st march but been discharged and prescribed morphine to get me through it. Soooo plenty of time with my new toy on Thursday providing I'm feeling ok. It's also my birthday the same day!

So from now until Thursday I'm checking out the dev community and getting a list of tweaks/apps to install etc.
  26. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,832
    Sorry to hear of your health problems there matey, hopefully be back to normal within a few weeks and at least a nice shiny new phone might help take your thoughts off the pain a bit;)

With regard to cases, I use a univeral soft belt pouch for work and when out and about keep it safely in my pocket to don't really need a case as such. But I have been looking at these to protect the back(I'm a fan of the Nokia back protectors, using one on my E7)...

Nokia N9 Brushed Aluminium Case - Nokia Case & Cover (Night Black) - Compare Prices and Deals, Shop & Buy Online in Australia at MyShopping.com.au

The lime green one looks pretty damn sexy to me.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Have seen a few other nice official Nokia ones too, although for real choice you'll possibly be looking at importing.

You do realise it comes with a silicone case in the box? which apparently is very good and not noticable that it's on the phone.

Won't wish you a happy birthday yet as the wife always says it's bad luck to wish that ahead of the day, but hope you have a good day(and will try to remember:rolleyes:;)).
  27. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,971
    Yeah I knew it came with a case but wasn't sure if I'd like it. Thanks for the link though. Those cases look great. Are you ordering one?
  28. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,832
    Almost certainly will be, maybe not just yet though as already spent enough:suicide:

Might have a snoop around to see what's the best price you can get one within or delivered to the UK, if reasonable I might just pop an order in.
  29. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,971
    Yeah will have a gander myself. :smashin:
  30. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,832
    Those ones seem to be only available in Oz unfortunately:(

On the subject of cases, you have to wonder why on earth they moved the camera flash for the Lumia 800:confused: Would have made it easier for both N9 and Lumia owners when shopping for cases if they were exactly the same.