No TV sound using HDMI to receiver.

rc72

Standard Member
Reaction score
After hooking up new DENON AVR1910 I am unable to get either TV or DVD (Blu-Ray) sound when using HDMI's from the cable box and the DVD to the DENON and an HDMI from DENON to TV. I CAN get sound to TV only by running the HDMI directly from cable box to TV. A cable tech advised running an optical audio cable from both my cable box and Blu-Ray player to the DENON. Appreciate any help and welcome comments. Thanks.

Do you mean no sound output from the Denon to it's speakers or no sound from the TV's speakers?

I assume you mean no sound from the AVR1910, as the TV obviously won't produce sound after you have instructed the receiver to process it.

First off, does the cable box support this combination? Secondly, did you remember to power up the TV first, wait until it was ready and only then power up the AVR1910, wait until it was ready and only then power up the source [you may excusably curse the id**ts who designed such a st**id system]. Finally, are you trying to get 1080p out of the source or AVR1910 without using category 2 cabling? For the last, switch to 1080i / passthrough.

I assume the OP mean they can not get sound on their TV. Do you have the Denon on standby or turned off? You need to check to see if the Denon does audio pass through or not.
Using an optical from your bluray player would mean you would not get HD audio as this can only be sent via the HDMI. Optical cables can not carry HD sound.

not sure what denon models support it, but go into the menu, then to setup, then to hdmi setup, then in hdmi audio set the audio to tv, in this mode your tv gets the audio, the amp does send the audio top the amp speakers.

setting it to amp lets the amp process the audio, and nothing gets sent to teh tv

the higher range denons have this feature, i don't know if the 1910 has it, i think we have one somewhere in the lab but i'm not sure

I would initially check the passthrough is working or not with the amp off.

Assume the system itself produces sounds when other devices are hooked up?

Thanks MuckyBucket. My real problem is that I'm "electronically challenged" so I'll have to do more research on your point about passthrough on the DENON. To answer your question.. I've gotten NO sound to any device when using the DENON. Again the issue is lack of understanding regarding how to set the receiver up. A cable co. tech says I should use optical audio cables from Blu-Ray to receiver and also from cable box to receiver. I'm torn about using the opt. audio cables as I thought HDMI is the best way to go. Would/could I use both the HDMI and the optical cables?

Most devices these days will pass sound as well as video via HDMI but this is not always the case. Worth checking your devices.

HDMI is is convenient way for transmitting sounds as you only need the one cable, but both HDMI and optical can be used simultaneously.

The 'passthrough' function may need turning on; can't remember if I needed to on mine or not, but if the amp is on standby (red light, not turned right off) the sound and video go straight to the TV...

I suggest you check your devices, and perhaps pick up an optical cable failing that. Also remember some HDMI devices have settings themselves to control the output of sound. Make sure sound via HDMI is enabled on your devices if such an option exists!

rc72- Do you have sound out of the Denon i.e. do the speakers produce sound?
If not you need to check your bluray player is sending audio via HDMI.
If you take the advice of using optical you will not be getting HD audio so that is not the way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom