Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Rf out

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Forum' started by stormswift, Nov 26, 2009.

1. stormswift

stormswift Member

Ratings:
    +0
    G'day all, having spent a little while investigating how to go about continuing to use my "magic eye" to view and change channels from the bedroom I find that I am a somewhat stuck now. All the places I've read up on this matter tell me that its possible but depends on what box you get as to whether it will need to be powered. So the possibillity of buying a unit to power the "eye", this I'd leave till the box is fitted so I will know for definate if I need one then get it.

Today I have my new samsung V+hd box fitted. The exisiting box relocated to the study. Having just looked to see how to fit the "eye" I can see no RF out on the box. Only has HDMI, tv Scart, vcr Scart.
    How do I go about using the "eye" upstairs with no RF out to connect the aerial lead to?
  2. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Although I have not personally seen one I understood the Samsung V+ to have an RF out socket.

Whatever even if it did it is deactivated if used in HDMI mode as it is on the Scientific Atlanta V+ box.

The VCR scart is however active in HDMI mode. You can either as I have done connect an old VCR to act as an RF modulator or buy a dedicated RF modulator. If you search the Virgin media forum you will see there has been a lot of discussion as to which RF modulator is best.
  3. stormswift

stormswift Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thx, I'll see if I can dig out an old vcr to try 1st.

The Samsung I've just had fitted has the following ports reading right to left, looking at the rear FYI:

2 Scart sockets. Top to VCR, bottom to TV
    HDMI
    SPDIF
    Ethernet port, USB port
    Test port
    Cable input
    finally on the far left the power input.

The smart card goes in the rear top centre (dont know if this is different 1st box :) )
  4. stormswift

stormswift Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Further to the above. Under above I have tried connecting the vcr scart to my dvd/vcr combo unit. This gives me a picture upstairs but no abillity to change channels. Finding an old vcr in the loft I re-tried using this. Again picture but no channel change facillity. Direct connection to the rf out on both machines with the tvplus confirms that there is no power outputed.

Next up tomorrow a phone call to tandy. Find out if their rf modulator will do the trick
  5. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +389
    Regret am not familar with your "Magic Eye" or TV plus system. My interest was only to provide an RF feed as a starter which seems to have been successful.

I think that you may get more input on your problem that remains if this thread was moved to the main Virgin Media forum. I will ask the Moderator to do this.