Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO picture but got sound on my samsung lcd ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by REDBULL2002, Dec 24, 2008.

1. REDBULL2002

REDBULL2002 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone just turned my tv on and cant get any picture what so ever on all the channels and av,s etc , i get sound but no picture the tv is a samsung lcd LE40R51B

THANKS AND HAPPY XMAS
  2. ziffius

ziffius Active Member

Ratings:
    +303
    It's likely to be the inverter that's gone.
  3. REDBULL2002

REDBULL2002 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks any idea how much that would be and is it something someone from my local yellow pages could fix ? .
  4. ziffius

ziffius Active Member

Ratings:
    +303
    Normally if it's the inverter you will get some light/ picture/ osd on the TV when it switches on from cold for about half a second, then the baclklight goes off and you just get sound. It's easy for an engineer as it's all on it's own small circuit board. I Think the inverter is a bit like the starter units on flourescent bulbs, as your TV probably has 4-8 bulbs in.
  5. REDBULL2002

REDBULL2002 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yes theres some sort of light but theres no channel number or anything , ok cheers for the info guess ill have to wait till after new year to ring a engineer up .

thanks
  6. zorbus

zorbus Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My LE40R51B has exactly the same problem. Did you get your set fixed?
    What was the cause of the problem? Main pcb?
  7. zorbus

zorbus Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Problem solved. It was the pico fuse on T-CON board. Relatively easy to fix (if you know how to solder) and new fuse costs next to nothing (rating 3A, 32V).

Somebody does not use a fuse at all. I wonder if this is safe:
    Page Title
    (LNR408D has the same panel==T-CON board).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  8. REDBULL2002

REDBULL2002 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    no mate havnt had the money , where to is this fuse found ?

thanks
  9. REDBULL2002

REDBULL2002 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    wow bridged the fuse and it works fine thanks
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. syvler

syvler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The fuse has a "P" printed on it and the location is CP1 on the board

[​IMG]
  11. piersan

piersan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm from Italy. I found this thread by Google. I've similar problem (no image, only sound, but retrolight lamps on) for a tv Samsung LE26S86BD. All functions are all right, but the image come 40-60 minutes after switch on the tv. I think that the problem is the pico fuse on T-con board, like in this case. What do you think about? Thank
  12. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,564
    It won't be the fuse as you've stated the picture eventually comes on.
    If it was the fuse you wouldn't have a picture at all.
    It's probably a failing capacitor in the power supply section.
  13. piersan

piersan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply. In effect, I don't found the component marked CP1 on T-con board installed on my tv LE26S86 Samsung. It's not the same board showned in the picture above. Maybe you are right, the picture on the screen come about 40-60 minutes after switch on the tv and then disappeare again in 15-30 minutes... Maybe could'be a capacitor that change with the temperature? When the tv is cold there is no image, when it's warm the image come... Could' I replace all capacitors in supply board area around the LVDS cable to T-con board? I hope that you understand me... sorry for my english.
  14. tdwright

tdwright Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am experiencing this "no picture but i have sound issue" as well. I have replaced both inverters and checked the pico fuse, I do not find any noticeable issues with any boards. When this first started happening the picture would flicker on and off, then finally just off. Also i cannot see any picture even with shining a flashlight into screen.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  15. globalbk

globalbk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have a similar problem, i have a samsung LE40R87BD tv and i had problems with it for a few months now when one day it didnt want to turn on and i had the "samsung cliking problem" and the tv kept on turning on and off by itself. I read about this and fixed the capacitors and it helped. I can now control the turning on and off of the tv it works as it should however i have another problem. When i turn on the tv i don't have neither sound or picture ( nothing when i change the channel or source) etc. although i can see light coming from somewhere. I knocked on the tv and i had some sound come out from it but it only worked once. Did anyone have something like this? is it a fuse on the t-con board??
  16. Helpless

Helpless Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello! I have had the same problem with my Samsund LCD TV.... for months now. In the search for the solution I came accross this forum. I've never joined anything like this, but now I have, as my problem seems to be solved! Knowing how frustrating this is, I thought I'd share. It is a simple solution, takes less than a minute.. (once you get the screen turned on that is....) so it is worth a try. My 'symptoms' included screen flickering, and sudden black screen while sound continued. Mostly in the beginning after turning on the TV but sometimes after some time. The last few days, I've had to turn the TV on and off tens of times before it worked. What I have done, after many other attemps, is simply reset the picture settings back to default. No more flickering and no more black outs! Give it a try... perhaps it works for you too.
  17. robinski

robinski Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I have a samsung LNS3241DX and I turned it on one day and the screen went completly black. I do have sound, but it doesn't look like it has any light. So I took it to a repair man and he wanted to charge $600 to fix. I don't want to trash the tv, but i'm not sure where to find the parts to fix it myself and which parts I need. So if anyone could help me out I would really apprietiate it. THANK YOU
  18. Anna271

Anna271 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Help
    I have a 40" Samsung LCD TV LE40R88BD when I got home yesterday turned on the tv - no picture only sound the red light keeps flickering on and off and makes a clicking noise, the only way to stop the clicking noise is to actually unplug from the wall. (Nice christmas present!!)
    I have tried everything but nothing works, yet the day before it was all ok.
    I hope someone can help with this, so that I can watch some tv over the christmas period.
    Please advise what is needed to rectify the problem, please give clear instructions (as I am only a mere female in distress!!).

Thanks Anna
  19. justj

justj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know anything about tvs, mine'sa broken too, from a bit of research looks like an inverter issue. However, in my travels also came across this
    YouTube - Advice on How to fix Samsung LCD HDTV Clicking Problem
    which sounds like it is your problem. dodgy capacitors.
    there is also a thread on here re. clicking, plus some other stuff on fixya about this issue.
    and this
    FixYa.com - Customer Support, Products Repair, Manuals & Troubleshooting on Any Product

which will help you identify the issue.

good luck fixing it.
  20. Brucer

Brucer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, this is not anything new. Samsung 40" LCD screen that worked fine for 4 years, then all of a sudden the video would intermittently work, then all of a sudden, no video, while audio worked fine. After much internet trolling, I replaced the t-con card which had it working for a few days, then same issue. Replaced the SM fuse at CP-1, as described above by jumping it with a wire. Worked for 5 minutes, then same thing....

So. I have not tried anything to do with the inverters, capacitors are all fine (unrelated.) It looks like alot of people have found the answer with one of these fixes, and only a few of us have tried multiple things, with the problem persisting.

I refuse to give up on this thing, so if anyone has any updates, any info would be appreciated.

Bruce
  21. bpolo215

bpolo215 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my Samsung LNR4080D and fixed it using the jumper method below, it works great for over 8 months so far (it may or may not be the reference that syvler above was stating.)

My current problem is now my sound went out, it has gone out before, but then came back after an hour or so. Now it's gone for good it seems. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
  22. Leo787

Leo787 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Samsung LE40R73BD LCD TV. I had the same problem NO picture but got sound. I searched this thread and found it might be a pico fuse on T-con board, i have no idea which type of pico fuse i need to buy to replace it, if any body can help which type of pico fuse needed for this model and is there any website where you can buy t-con board in uk.
  23. McBainVee1

McBainVee1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having read the replies on this thread it has not given me a lot of hope.

My father in-law purchased a 32" Samsung LED two days ago, together with a HUMAX PVR with HD receiver. He unwrapped it, plugged it all in and discovered that a picture would only arrive approximately 20 minutes after first being turned on, but he got perfect sound almost instantly. Oddly enough he had the same problem with his old 32" SONY CRT tv.

My father in-law always turns the set off at the wall every night. Could this be a contributory factor?

I have advised him to:

1) disconnect the HUMAX from the tv and plug the aerial feed from the wall directly into the TV;

2) if this doesn't cure the problem, take the tv set to another aerial socket in the house and try it there;

3) wait for four hours with the tv totally disconnected and try again.

If none of the above work I think that he will be taking the set back and will just get another make. I presume that other manufacturers are not plagued by this issue?

Anyway, any tips would be warmly received ;)
  24. Lizzie

Lizzie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too have lost the picture on my Samsung TV. This was purchased as a refurbed model in April but I have only been using it for two weeks. When I turn the TV on the picture comes on for just a split second, then the screen goes black. The sound is fine.

I'm supposed to have a 12 month retailer warranty with the TV but contacting them is proving difficult.

Wish I'd done a bit more research before buying - just because I wanted a white TV! I've had a total of 14 days use out of it.
  25. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,564
    Best to contact trading standards if the retailer isn't returning your calls.
  26. Lizzie

Lizzie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I certainly will. I'm planning on contacting Visa too to see if I can claim against my card.

The trouble with TS is that they are under-resourced. It takes months and dozens of complaints before they start to look at something.

This is a company called Halfcost in Preston, Lancs. If anybody is thinking of spending their hard-earned money with them I suggest they think again.

Halfcost have now been in touch with me requesting the return of the TV (at their cost) for refund or replacement, so fingers crossed the matter will be settled within a few days.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  27. chops77

chops77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everybody.
    think i have the same problem. ive got a samsung LE46M87BDX and have just suffered the clicking and no picture problem but have sound.the tv channel number flashes on briefly for about 1 second then goes blank!!
    ive took the back off the tv and found the group of capacitors i THINK is causing the problem but as they have not "domed or leaked" im unsure which to replace or even if this is in fact the problem.
    any further info or help would be much appreciated.

picture of my circuit board and capacitors..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  28. Member 514233

Member 514233 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    check if back light is working by runing your finger along the screen to se if their is lumination if the is the inverter is okay then I would then check the tcon pcb some have a small fuse at the edge of boarrd it worth checking .
  29. chops77

chops77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let everyone know. I replaced the 2 10v capacitors for 16v ones and 2 25v capacitors for 35v ones and everything is now working fine.
    Saved the telly for the price of £3.27.
    Very happy.
  30. Lizzie

Lizzie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Halfcost have advised that a refund is being processed as they don't have any more stock and don't do repairs. I don't think this is a dishonest company, it's more likely that it's run by just one or two people, judging by the fact that all emails take at least 48 hours to get a reply and they are always sent late in the evening.

I'm pleased to see that some people have been able to repair their TVs, but I am reluctant to get another Samsung after this experience.