Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No hd channels on my sky hd box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV Forum' started by gilzeans head, Feb 2, 2012.

1. gilzeans head

gilzeans head Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,can u help! I recently bought a thomson sky hd box from ebay and have set it up to my old dish,i cant get any bbc,itv,ch4 hd channels!
    Only sbo hd1 and sbo2 are showing up. I havent had a sky subcription for about 2 yrs and have no viewing card(does this make a difference)
    Sorry if this has been discussed before but any help would be appreciated.
    Dont know anything about satellite! Cheers in advance.
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    Hi - you should be seeing all the free HD channels, without a card, though there aren't many of them.
    Are you seeing the free SD channels? Logi
  3. Digicon

Digicon Active Member

Ratings:
    +304
    CH143 BBC one HD , CH169 BBC HD , CH140 CH4 HD, CH178 ITV1 HD.

You should be getting the above for free without a viewing card
  4. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    And NHK. The two that are on 1N might be a problem with unusual parameters on an old machine.
  5. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Forced software download is a really good bet here, if this box has been siting in a cupboard for ever how long then its a good bet the EPG version & the rest is way to out of whack to right itself.:smashin:
  6. ProDave

ProDave Member

Ratings:
    +35
    When you say you "can't get them" what do you mean?

Are they listed on the EPG or not at the channel numbers already posted?

If they are listed but you "can't get them" you must get an error message on the screen, what does it say?

If it says "no satellite signal" it's very likely to be the well known problem of failed PSU capacitors on the thomson boxes. In which case your options are to repair it, or return it to the seller for a refund because it's faulty.
  7. gilzeans head

gilzeans head Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not listed on the EPG,when i put in the channel numbers it says Unavailable.
  8. Digicon

Digicon Active Member

Ratings:
    +304

Better off doing a forced software update to the box, unplug power cord hold the Power button in on the top of the box keep pressed down and put the power cord back in and wait until you see all four coloured lights on the front display then you can let go of the power button.

It should also say on screen about updating Blah Blah will take 10 minutes.
  9. ProDave

ProDave Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Did the box come from the Republic of Ireland? Some of those channels are not included in the ROI EPG and perhaps the box is remembering it's ROI EPG line up?

Can you borrow ANY sky card, even the old blue ones will regionalise the EPG and get your channel list back as it should be for a UK box.

Also try the installers menu (services 0 0 1 Select) and try a "new installation" from there.
  10. winston2010

winston2010 Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Thompson box; ebay; chances are its 'ucked. Send it back as faulty
  11. gilzeans head

gilzeans head Member

Ratings:
    +1
    pro dave i have just discovered a blue sky viewing card in the box,doesnt seem to have any effect,also noticed the epg is the old listings,not the newish one i had when i subscriped to sky a couple of years ago! bought the box from e bay and the guy lived in northern ireland so you could be right.
  12. ProDave

ProDave Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Right, the box has been out of use for a LONG time.

Ignore the card for now, it may or may not be of use. Take it out of the box for now.

You need to do a forced software update to get the "new" EPG.

Unplug the box from the mains, press and hold the backup button on the top, keep holding the button and plug the mains in. Keep holding it until all 4 lights on the front come on and a message appears on the tv "updating software....."

Go and have a cup of tea and come back in 15 minutes and it should have updated and should have the new EPG.

Then see what channels you have.

Then put the card back in and see how it changes (BBC1 and ITV regions will change) then decide if you prefer it with or without the card.

You just may be very lucky and find the card enables recording, certainly worth a try to see.
  13. Digicon

Digicon Active Member

Ratings:
    +304
    The blue card wont enable recording on a HD box it will on a standard Sky+ box but not on the HD
  14. ProDave

ProDave Member

Ratings:
    +35
    If the blue card was left with it's sky+ functions enabled (i.e it was removed or the box turned off before the subscription ended) then it might. Mine certainly works in my HD box :D

It's a bit of a lottery which boxes will still recognise the blue cards to enable recording, some will some won't and it seems to depend if they have been used with a white card or not in some cases. My own box has never seen a white card and never will. I used to repair a lot of boxes, and found soon after the card swap that many boxes would not recognise my blue card so I was unable to test the recording functions.

ALL the blue cards that had sky+ enabled at the last card swap were left with sky+ enabled. So if you still have one of those, give it a try, it might work, it might not.

That loophole was closed with the white cards and I've not seen a single report of any white card continuing to enable recording after the subscription ends.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    Mine has a white card but still works with a blue house card for recording from free channels.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  16. gilzeans head

gilzeans head Member

Ratings:
    +1
    :clap:Nice one guys,working a treat,thanks.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1