Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No CD playback on Marantz DV9500! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Glank27, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Glank27

Glank27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. i`m new here and wish to have some assistance. Its christmas times and won`t be able to find much support from the Marantz dealer as everyone is on holiday.

I am a proud owner of a Marantz DV9500 DVD/SACD Player, and recently when inserting a CD, playback won`t start. DVD discs are fine. Strange thing is that this happens only when just started the player. If a DVD is inserted and plays for just seconds and it is stopped and a CD is inserted, than the DV9500 will recognize its a CD and starts playback.
    Does is it need pickup lens cleaning? Or is it a symptom of something more serious? Its a very expensive player and won`t like to fiddle with its interiors, so i better ask.
  2. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Hmmm....owned this player before the Arcam. Never had that. Could be worth trying a reset of the player (baring in mind you'll loose all settings) and maybe an Allsop Carbon Edge lens cleaner (used one on mine with no bother).

To reset the player switch it off using the power button on the player, hold stop then switch on and continue to hold stop until it says Initialize on the front.
  3. Glank27

Glank27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    have cleaned the lens manually with a quetip in alcohol. It works fine for now but its still early to say, so in that case i`ll try that method. Didn`t know that you could reset that player.....it isn`t even mentioned in the instructions manual!
  4. confu

confu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does the reset also works on Marantz DV7001 ??
  5. Glank27

Glank27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The pickup lens cleaning didn`t seem to work as it still did not play a CD. I reset the player and it played the CD...but have to check this further on since its seems to be a kind of fault that does show up every now and then! The DV9500 is said to be a great player, but i must say that i`m starting to hate it!
  6. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Hmmm.....mine had the odd bug and I often wondered if there were firmware updates available.

Mine used to freak out if I listened to CD's with the TV off then switched it on and it locked on to the HDMI signal but would not display a picture for some reason.

It's a great player. Just maybe needs an update but never found out how you could tell how old the firmware was.

As for the reset on the DV7001....possibly. It won't kill it if it doesn't work.
  7. Glank27

Glank27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It worked fine, so how does it needs update? I recall when it was brand new the picture was horrible filled with tiny white dots and thin lines. Marantz dealer said it needed an update and it ran fine after it was updated. Until now.....do these players need an update from time to time? I mean do they just get freaked out with their software over a period of time?
  8. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Could be a bug in the current firmware I guess. There's gonna be small revisions to the operating system/firmware over the time it's being manufactured so there maybe a fix for that? Can't say I had that as a problem only the one when going from audio only CD playback to switching on HDMI playback.
  9. Glank27

Glank27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    just tried it now after the system reset. Well, it played the CD ok, but, refused to load the 2nd CD, and then successfully loaded all the 10/15CDs i put after that. So, yes i`m more confused, and seems thats yes its a bug.
  10. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Hmmm....that's a weird bug though. Had a few too many drinks to wonder what it could be but worth checking every connection is ok and keeping an eye on it.

How old is it? Mine was 2 yrs old when I sold it and flawless.
  11. Glank27

Glank27 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I purchased it in June 2005, and cannot say its flawless since it had a picture problem straight away and needed a firmware upgrade. Then it always ran fine, although i never witnessed its real potential since i am still without an HD TV; so its playing just througha scart into a CRT Sony 32inch wide TV. Its a shame, but with all the expenses i have i always found it difficult to purchase a 40/42inch one.

Anyway, the CD problem is there from quite a long time now, although it used to do it very rarely. Now it increased its frequency in doing it. Now after the reset it worked fine, but i doubt if it`ll never do it again:rolleyes:
  12. confu

confu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It works....
  13. 28marcus

28marcus Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Glank27,

How's things with your DV9500? Mines always had a problem with not reading the odd CD, sometimes it will play it aand sometimes it won't. However in the last couple of weeks it's stopped reading CD's altogether.

I've tried the DVD then CD method, the Reset method and no joy!
  14. joe_in_truro

joe_in_truro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a DV9500. It plays DVD's and SACD's first time, every time but I also have the CD playback problem. If a firmware update is likely to fix it then where in the UK can I get it installed or where can I get the software to do it myself using the RS232 port.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  15. Kaotician

Kaotician Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Is this happening with the same discs or with different ones? I'm wondering if some of the discs aren't flagged for Red Book, so the player isn't picking up the instruction to play. Are they coming from the same label?
  16. joe_in_truro

joe_in_truro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, this happens with different makes and with pre-recorded or cdr/cdrw. It will play a CD by EMI but then replaced with another CD by EMI it will refuse to recognize it. Put back the first EMI disc and it will play again. Very strange!
  17. audiophile1

audiophile1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my DV-9500. It sure is annoying. Does anyone know of a fix?
  18. audiophile1

audiophile1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever you do, don't try the factory reset in this thread. My player is no longer multi region after trying it. It now only plays region 2 discs.