Nintendo Switch OLED

Hard to say. There’s ~£50 price premium between the models. Not sure it does anything to help attract late adopters having the only (docked) model being £50 more expensive than it’s been for the last 4 years.

Sony also didn’t phase out the PS4 when the PS4 Pro came out, & kept the 2 different price points for different types of consumer to hop on.
The PS4 and PS4 Pro situation is different as the Pro was a step up in its hardware. The Switch OLED is basically the OG switch with a better screen, and as Nintendo confirmed the price will only be £30 more than OG switch. Once OG stock has run out, that will be the end of OG switch.

Also Nvidia have confirmed they are retiring the Tegra chip by the end of year, so it stands to reason Nintendo purchased all remaining Tegra chips, but can't see them splitting them over 3 models, and would be better used for Switch OLED and Lite models.

The PS4 and PS4 Pro situation is different as the Pro was a step up in its hardware. The Switch OLED is basically the OG switch with a better screen, and as Nintendo confirmed the price will only be £30 more than OG switch. Once OG stock has run out, that will be the end of OG switch.
It’s still at a more expensive price point than current models.
Don’t see how that’s going to entice people who haven’t already bought a Switch in the last 4 years, into buying one.

Last edited:
In some ways it would have made more sense to bring the lite version with an OLED screen as you can only play it handheld Soo you would benefit the most. I’d be interested to know the splits of all switch users: handheld hours vs docked/tv hours. To be honest, I would have been happy with a standard console just to play games on my tv. Better to play on a 65” screen rather than a 6-7”.

From Penny Arcade, I think explain the nintendo approach the best.

In a wholly separate topic, as I mentioned in another context, you have to understand that Nintendo doesn't do things the way that Microsoft and Sony do them. They also don't do things because people tell them to. They do things that make money. Not some future money - put it my f**king hand money. It's a fundamental corporate philosophy and once you understand that's what it is, their failures and their successes all make sense. Look at the online service - which includes the back catalogue they used to sell us over and over, plus weirdly compelling Battle Royale games based on classics…? And mostly no voice? Okay. Got it. I try to imagine what I could accomplish in life with this kind of confidence.

Nintendo doesn't want to joust opponents. It's not interested in the console war, which by itself makes people mad. It doesn't want to be somebody's kaiju proxy on the GameF@*ker forum. It doesn't even want to be where these wars are happening. My grandma never owned a Playstation or an Xbox, of any description or numeric appendage. They bought a Wii. And it's still hooked up. Sometimes you get a WiiU! That's the price.

They release cardboard that you fold together and make original experiences with. Like… multiple boxes full of cardboard. They have a kind of cardboard you can play VR in. There isn't really anything to do but sit back and watch the show. But it's worth keeping in mind that they aren't chasing anybody, and they don't engage in techno-fetishism. You can't even buy the next gen systems, for a variety of reasons. You think they see that type of s**t and are like, man. How can I get a piece of that? How can I get into the illusory products business? No. It's not time. You'll know when the price/performance lines converge because you're gonna be on a website trying to buy the new Switch.

Put in an pre-order at Smyths for an in store pickup.

I took the plunge this morning and pre-ordered from Argos (after missing out on Game's pre-orders). I went for the black & white one as, from the photos, it looks really smart and think it will fit nicely with the PS5 & Series S.

This will be my first Switch console, unless some mega discounted original console/bundle deals happen in the mean time. I'm looking forward to heading back to Nintendo, haven't had one of their consoles since the N64.

As someone who plays their Switch solely in handheld mode I’m pretty happy with this. I had the original Switch which I traded in at some stage for a Switch Lite, but my eyes have been getting worse and worse just lately (old age!) so was looking to get a full size switch back. This will do nicely :)

I just ordered from Argos with free delivery, seemed plentiful there

Might be wrong, but I‘d be surprised if these sold out at launch, & you couldn’t readily pick them up.

Might be wrong, but I‘d be surprised if these sold out at launch, & you couldn’t readily pick them up.
You clearly don’t know Nintendo fans! :rotfl:

They seem mostly indifferent to the OLED model.
Original 3DS & N64 launches come to mind. And this isn’t even a brand new platform with an entirely new library of software for buyers to try.
This is just an upgrade along the lines of 3DS XL, New 3DS, Switch Lite etc

They seem mostly indifferent to the OLED model.
Original 3DS & N64 launches come to mind. And this isn’t even a brand new platform with an entirely new library of software for buyers to try.
This is just an upgrade along the lines of 3DS XL, New 3DS, Switch Lite etc
I know plenty that are buying it because it is the latest and greatest-regardless of it having no improvements in terms of performance.

And when the Switch 2/Pro eventually comes out, they’ll get that as well.

Judging from the general lukewarm response to the OLED on websites & forums (including here), it’s nowhere near the level of interest that you’d have if it was a proper Switch2/Pro or the OG Switch or Lite when they launched.

There’s a few people on these forums who have said they’d upgrade, but the vast majority who have posted are indifferent to it & don’t see any reason to upgrade. Similar trends expressed on other websites/forums.

It’ll sell well, but I don’t think it’s going to be a pre-order or you won’t be able to buy it for months type situation.

I’m tempted by it because I’m still on my original launch console, but I’m just not sure. The larger screen and better battery compared to the v1 would be useful, but I think a pro is only a year or two away so I’m not sure it’s worth the extra outlay at the moment.

The OLED Switch is a huge disappointment,the Switch hardware is really dated and don’t even suit Nintendo’s 1st party games ,there are slow downs,frame drops in their own 1st part games which is really unacceptable for the price they’re charging.

specially with much more powerful systems like Series S and now Steam Deck for very similar price range.the Switch is definitely weak and overpriced.

And the OLED screen should have been implemented from start instead of that really cheap budget LCD.(I hated that screen)

That being said I pre-ordered one,because I sold my original Switch 1.5 years ago after finishing 3 games that I wanted to play (Zelda BoW,Mario Odyyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3).
was hoping for an updated model but there are 2-3 games released since I sold mine that I want.

I used my original Switch exclusively docked and played on TV with Pro controller but this time I will do the exact opposite and use it exclusively as portable.

I think Switch really is a handheld and the experience on TV was not ideal with even worse frames and games overall looking even more dated on a large screen.

Skyward Sword on Switch docked looks lovely and is very smooth.

Now that Nintendo has said there won't be any more hardware revisions of the Switch (Though I know that doesn't rule out an entirely new console being announced) I've pre-ordered the OLED b&W :)

As someone who plays their Switch solely in handheld mode I’m pretty happy with this. I had the original Switch which I traded in at some stage for a Switch Lite, but my eyes have been getting worse and worse just lately (old age!) so was looking to get a full size switch back. This will do nicely :)

Haha you copied me! I had the OG Switch and traded it for the Lite, I loved the Lite size and it's design is awesome, probably the best handheld ever and it just fits in a pocket.
But as with you, my eyes just wanted a bigger screen :( so it was traded in for another OG Switch.
And I will again trade that in for this new OLED model that I think looks great in white.

Now that Nintendo has said there won't be any more hardware revisions of the Switch (Though I know that doesn't rule out an entirely new console being announced) I've pre-ordered the OLED b&W :)

I don't think a next gen Switch will be out for a few years now. Nvidia only in the last few days showed a rough demo of DLSS running on ARM processors. But if that comes to the next generation Switch it will be a very nice system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha you copied me! I had the OG Switch and traded it for the Lite, I loved the Lite size and it's design is awesome, probably the best handheld ever and it just fits in a pocket.
But as with you, my eyes just wanted a bigger screen :( so it was traded in for another OG Switch.
And I will again trade that in for this new OLED model that I think looks great in white.
Cheers, that actually makes me feel better about justifying my decision to myself :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom