Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Season Chat 2010-2011

Discussion in 'Sport Forum' started by Dazza Cole, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole Member

Ratings:
    +38
    New season starts tonight, with a rematch of the Saints-Vikings NFC championship game. :clap: Think this will be a feisty kick-off, as all the talk from Minnesota after the game was about the treatment dished out to Favre during the game - think you'll see a few cheap shots on Brees in this one.

And if the Saints come after Favre again, will his ankle hold up?

Criminally for a Bears fan, i'm struggling to see past the Packers winning the NFC this year. The AFC is a lot more difficult to predict - will the Colts suffer the SuperBowl losers hangover that's afflicted most teams who lost the game? Will the Patriots contract issues impact their offence, and will Welker really be 100% after his season ending injury last year? Will the Jets back up their talk? I'm going out on a limb and predicting a really good season for Miami this year - can see them and the Ravens having a huge say in who will represent the AFC this year
  2. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    I'm looking forward to it. I don't get to watch as much as i'd like too. I'm a Jets fan, so hopefully we can back up our talk but it could heap too much pressure on them and crumple under it. As long as the defence stays as strong as it was they have a great chance and if Thomlinson can find his form again he could be a major asset.

I've done my dream team but i'm not too confident!

QB Carson Palmer (Cincinnati Bengals)

RB Chris Johnson (Tennesse Titans)
    RB Ladainian Thomlinson (New York Jets)

WR Vincent Jackson (San Diego Chargers)
    WR Steve Smith (New York Giants)

TE Heath Miller (Pittsburgh Steelers)

KR John Kasay (Carolina Panthers

DF New York Yets
  3. stevenisace

stevenisace Active Member

Ratings:
    +309
    Am going to try and get into this. Moved house recently and now have sky sports and have seen a few games and quite enjoy it. I'm almost to the the point were i understand the rules lol.

Are the Patriots the best team? As on all the Madden's i have played they have the highest rating
  4. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    They are a very good team but not the best. Indianapolis Colts have generally been the most consistant over the last few years but New Orleans Saints won the Superbowl Last year beating the Colts in the final.

It's very tight this year as there's some very good sides around such as The Colt's and Saints, San Diego Chargers. The Patriots will have it tough in their conference this year as The Dolphins are vastly improved from how they were a few years ago and If The Jets back up their talk they could have a massive season.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. stevenisace

stevenisace Active Member

Ratings:
    +309
    Could you explain how the leagues work please mate.

The way i see it is this:

2 leagues. When the season is finished the winner of the 2 leagues and runners up go into a knockout tourument and the 2 finalists play in the Superbowl.

However i think it gets more comlicated than this because aren't wildcards involved
  6. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    2 Conferences (American Football Conference - AFC and National Football Conference - NFC) with 4 divisions (North South East & West) with 4 teams in each division.

Then it gets a bit more complicated....

Each team plays the other three teams in their division twice: once at home, and once on the road (six games).

Each team plays four teams from another division within its own conference once on a rotating three-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

Each team plays four teams from a division in the other conference once on a rotating four-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

Each team plays once against the other teams in its conference that finished in the same place in their own divisions as themselves the previous season, not counting the division they were already scheduled to play: one at home, one on the road (two games).

That's the end of the regular season and each Divisional winner goes into the play offs, with 2 wild cards going through who are the best runners up from the 4 divisions in their conference.

So you end up with 6 teams going through to the play offs from each Conference. they get seeded 1-6 based on their win loss rating, the teams seeded 3 play the 5th seeded team and the team seeded 4th play the 6th placed team in the wildcard weekend of the play offs, then the winners of them games play the teams seeded 1st and 2nd.

The winners of them two games then meet in the Conference Championship game to see who is the AFC conference champion and the NFC conference champion. The winners of the two conference championships then face off in the superbowl.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    Let's hope so! They've been steadily improving the last couple of years and have looked good in the regular season. Just hope they can continue that form in the playoffs this year.

By the way, does anyone know if there's any sort of highlights show on Sky? I was looking at that NFL Gamepass for 1 team, but it's $200!
  8. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Not that i'm aware of.

NFLUK.com - Home - TV Schedule

List off all NFL based programs on tv. Best bet could possibly be ESPN#'s build up to Monday night football. It's 2 hours in length so you would think they would do some kind of highlights of other games amongst the build up in there...
  9. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    Thanks for that link, it's really useful. Here's what it says about ESPN, which looks promising.

"ESPN's live coverage of Monday Night Football games kicks off at the start of the regular-season. Before kick-off of every Monday Night game you can review all the action from the previous weekend on Monday Night Countdown."

Just looked again and there's highlights on Sky Sports this coming monday at 12:00 and 17:00. Sorted!
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Aaron - u better drop Jackson, as he's currently not playing due to a contract dispute with the Chargers!
  11. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Yeah i found that out this morning when i was checking a few things as wanted to check that Revis has resolved his contract issues but the gameweek's closed so can't do anything until Tuesday.

Not sure who i'll replace him with as it was hard enough getting a balanced team as it was, I originally had Welker in but that meant i couldn't afford Chris Johnson....Went round in a vicious circle took me about an hour to finish my team last night for me to find that out this morning. Grrr!
  12. dazza74

dazza74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Really suffered I felt last year not having a HD review program.
  13. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    I agree. If it's a sport I follow a particular team in, I don't really watch any other games, be it NFL, Football or Rugby. Especially so in NFL, cause I don't really wanna tune in for 3 hours of stop start play if it's not my team, our sports aint so bad cause it's only 80 or 90 mins and the play is solid apart from half time.
  14. Scholes18

Scholes18 Active Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Did my nfluk fantasy team last week , had a good start with the saints/vikes game.

As a niners fan im feeling a lot more confident this season. We have a great coach , the defense is one of the leagues best ( unlike the QB and a lot of the old o-line ). We've drafted well and should take the NFC west quite happily.

week 1 team

QB) Matt Ryan (atl)
    RB) Willis McGahee (bal)
    RB) Pierre Thomas (no)
    WR) Wes Welker (ne)
    WR) Austin Collie (dal)
    TE) Jeremy Shockey (no)
    K) Lawrence Tynes (nyg)
    DEF) San Francisco

Pierre Thomas did me proud this week with 71 rushing yds and a TD.

Superbowl picks

NFC - Green Bay

AFC - Baltimore
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  15. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Mixed emotions from this, two td's for Welker but the fact i really wanted Johnson meant i had Palmer who thre two TD's.

The Panthers v Giants game wasn't that good , to bitty and to many turnovers.
  16. Scholes18

Scholes18 Active Member

Ratings:
    +343
    alex smith sucks , like properly hasnt got a clue sucks. Id like to thank mike nolan for thinking he was better than aaron rodgers. Maybe he should have spent less time whining about wanting to wear a suit and more time scouting.#

dammit
  17. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Couldn't believe the Bears score - nearly 500 yards of offence compared to 150, and nearly lose the game in the last minute :facepalm:

Still, good to see Jay throw more TD's than Int's for a nice change :thumbsup:
  18. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +748
    Great first weekend of the season, with some good games. Still 2 MNF games tonight as well!!

Watched the Cowboys vs Redskins game this morning and still haven't calmed down. What an amazing finish, but no good for my heart. Skins were bloody lucky mind, making a lot of mistakes. Luckily for them, Dallas made more. I'll take any win, but the offense is looking eerily similar to last year in a lot of ways. They can't keep settling for FG's, even with the defense playing well. Still, it's very early days and they're definitely showing more promise.

Albert Haynesworth needs a slap. I've never liked him and everyone seems to forget what a nasty pasty he used to be, very immature. Looks like his true colours are shining through again. Just get rid of him. I lost any respect for him when he took that $21m in April then started playing up again.

Packers vs Eagles was a good one, with Vick being impressive. It's early days, but I'd be a bit worried about Kolb if I was an Eagles fan. Can't wait for the Skins/Eagles games. McNabb won't half get some stick at the Linc.

Watched the Colts vs Texans game and was really pleased for them. Nothing against the Colts, but I always love the underdog. Maybe the Superbowl hangover will affect the Colts? Can't see it though. Great SNF matchup next week with Colts vs Giants. Manning vs Manning.

They need to change the rule about that catch in the Lions vs Bears game. Yes, it was an incomplete pass by the rules, but the rule is pants. That was a catch any way you look at it. Stafford may be out 4-6 weeks as well. Ouch.

Pittsburgh might just get away with Roethlisberger being out for 4 games if Dixon keeps managing the game like he did yesterday.

Really looking forward to the Ravens vs Jets game tonight. That Ravens D will be looking to shut their old coach up. I do like the Jets, but don't be upsetting Ray Lewis! :D
  19. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I'm very happy with that rule actually...well, this week anyway! ;)

And you can't complain about the Skins not scoring TD's - we had a 20 yard field goal and a first and goal at the ONE where we came away with nothing! We'll need to start converting those chances, although very happy with the D's performance against the supposedly explosive Lions offence. Peppers is the man :clap:
  20. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I can actually see a season of struggle for the Jets - Defensive coordinators will have done their homework on Sanchez, I think the running game has taken a step back replacing Jones with Tomlinson (which not too long ago would have been an unthinkable statement), and it remains to be seen how quickly Revis gets in game shape.

However, i'm not sure I am in a good spot to make any comments, after predicting strong seasons for the Falcons, Dolphins and 49ers! :suicide:
  21. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +748
    A lot of scrappy games this weekend, few teams still blowing the cobwebs off. More than usual certainly. A few nasty injuries as well.

Only 3 days away from week 2. I would have been reasonably confident facing the Texans, but after that game against the Colts and Arian Foster, not so much. Should be a good game.
  22. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Going to be interesting to see how the Bears OL handles the Dallas pass rush tonight. As unfortunately the combination of JC6 and pressure = interceptions by the bucketload :suicide:

Couple of interesting games featuring New York teams this weekend too - what odds would you have got on the colts and jets starting out 0-2? :eek:
  23. Scholes18

Scholes18 Active Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Really not looking forward to monday nights game , even of it means we're on tv again. We play like we did against seattle last week against the saints this monday and we'll get mullered.

Its beginning to seem that theres much things wrong amongst the staff with the weird press conferences and rat-gate.
  24. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I guess Singletary's style is a bit much for some of the players these days - he's very much an old-skool in yer face guy....but feeling the need for a players meeting after the 1st game shows someone is wrong somewhere
  25. Scholes18

Scholes18 Active Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Theres rumours started to surface , unfairly for me , that he's over his head. The way he's sorted the defence out proves that wrong but jimmy raye isnt upto scratch and alex smith is still garbage. After 5 years he's still not any good. Everytime i see aaron rodgers do well at green bay i think if if only.

Having said that he did learn an awful lot off being Brett Favre's backup
  26. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    We'll find out alot about the Jets tonight, Defence is still good but a few weeknesses were exploited against the Ravens last monday, As good as Revis is even wehn ubnfit teams just stay away from him wich is going to heap loads of pressure on Cromartie and Wilson who looked all at sea last week bleeding penalties and given the run around for fun.

The penalties cost us but if your QB an't move the ball like Sanchez failed to do and again being very poor on 3rd down it is a worry, hoping for better tonight, good thing is you won'e come across many better defences than the Ravens have.
  27. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +748
    I bet Brett wishes he'd stayed retired now! It pains me to see, but the turnovers are back. The lack of them helped him have his best year ever last year. :rolleyes:

Great first drive by the Redskins, but settling for a FG again!!!!! :mad:
    Let's see if the D can stop Foster now!
  28. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +748
    Wow. Redskins offense is looking great, best it's been in years! Literally! Defense not too shabby either with 4 sacks!!!

He says as they give up a big play! :facepalm:
  29. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Great Jets performance today. First quarter we were looking dodgy again, no yards in the air and was worrying about Sanchez again but after that we've certainly pulled through.

Not missed Revis, Sanchez has moved the ball well, Cromartie has had Moss in his pocket since he got switched and LT and Green have looked like a superbly oiled machine running the ball.

Quite different to last week. Looking at highlights and scores from this weekend so far Pittsburghs Defence looks exceptional and they are winning games grinding them out without roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers sounds be doing really well for the Packers.
  30. Aaron D84

Aaron D84 Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Typical Texans, was thinking they looked good last week but they are too unpredictable, shame as i like what they do on offence, they move the ball so well if they can hit their stride running the ball and on defence they could cause some upsets.