1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Confused Over Formats etc.

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Plivez, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Plivez

Plivez Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, great forum!

I have just purchased my first surround sound set up;
    Sony STR-DH820 AV and Boston Accoustics SoundWare XS 5.1.

So far this is being fed by my Virgin V+ box and Apple TV.

Depending on what channel I am watching I get a variety of format names appearing on the AV display.
    They are as follows:

LPCM 48
    Dolby Digital 2.0
    Dolby Digital 5.1

I have a number of 'sound field' options:
    AFD Auto
    Multi ST
    HD DCS
    PLII MV
    NE06 CIN

I currently understand none of this, should I be choosing the sound field option based on the format coming in? If so what goes with what.

I have read the manual a few times but its beyond me at the moment.:confused:

Would appreciate any advise.
  2. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,169
    First of welcome. 2nd it won't take long before you know what's what. If your watching tv alot of that is only 2 stereo so personally i would use dolby pro logic 2 as this will make 2 stereo in to 5.1 . And then some stuff on tv is dolby digital 5.1 so leave that as it is unless you add more speakers then you can use other modes like dolby pro logic 2x as this will make 2 stereo in to 7.1 and 5.1 into 7.1. And depending how you like your music just experiment with the different modes, i normally use 2 stereo or all stereo. Also the manual should explain what each mode is for more or less. For all of my tv stuff i have started using neural thx 7.1 and i found it to be the best. So its all about trying and seeing what you like.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    LPCM 48 is basically just a way of saying "Stereo", but not compressed; your Virgin box/AppleTV probably decoded it already. 48 is just the sampling rate...
    Dolby Digital 2.0 is another way of saying "Stereo", just compressed; left for your AVR to decode.
    Dolby Digital 5.1 is also compressed, but consists of 5 main channels (left, right, centre, rear left, rear right) and 1 sub channel (LFE).
    Pick a sound field that sounds good; PL2 MV is a good start, but try the others...
    --
    Regards, Iain.
  4. Plivez

Plivez Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies!!

So LPCM & Dolby 2.0 can both be converted using the sound fields into surround sound. Is that a genuine surround sound?
  5. jason1wood

jason1wood Member

Ratings:
    +135
    It's not genuine but pseudo surround. Still sounds great though, when watching my Sky HD and only getting a stereo signal eg. Left and right speaker sound I put mine onto Neo6 Cinema yours is NEO6 CIN, this gives me surround sound out of all 5 speakers instead of 2.

Don't worry you'll get the hang of this soon.
  6. scottthehat

Ratings:
    +1,169
    lpcm can be true surround up to 7.1. And as said any of those modes will convert 2 channels into 5 channels plus sub.
  7. Plivez

Plivez Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. How much action should I expect from the rear speakers? There doesn't seem to be that much generally. How do you go about increasing it?
  8. scottthehat

Ratings:
    +1,169
    it depends on what it is your watching some stuff is just mental in the back speakers. And have you set audessey up yet.
  9. Plivez

Plivez Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Audesey?
    Is that the auto calibrate? I did that. Although have since done a manual set up to correct the distance settings. I have also increased the decibels on the rears in attempt to get more from them.
  10. scottthehat

Ratings:
    +1,169
    That's right audessey is the calibration. And sets the speaker to a specific level what is called studio reference as in what's its ment to be played at in the studio end its sets the speakers at the same level for the listening position where you placed the Mic and at 0db on the amp volume that should then be studio reference volume so you adjusting them won't help but its what makes you happy. Also reference is only for films.
  11. NoOneNew

NoOneNew Member

Ratings:
    +20
    LPCM means that the source feeds a decoded signal to your amp, no matter what the original format (could be 2-channel stereo, Dolby, DTS-MA, whatever). All the amp has to do is pass it through its digital-to-analog converter (DAC) and play it. The number (eg 48) depends on the bitrate, bigger is better.

Dolby Digital is a sound format. "X.Y" numbers are the numbers of channels the sound was originally encoded in. The amp must first decode the signal before converting it to analog. There are other formats also, one of the sticky threads in this forum explains them all.

For an explanation of the Sony soundfields, see

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...nys-hd-d-c-s-against-plii-movie-sony-avs.html
    Any more questions, feel free to ask.
  12. Plivez

Plivez Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanations.
    All becoming much clearer.
    Have been spending hours playing the cinema sound tests on youtube through my apple TV, great fun!!