1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW: Wharfedale Diamond 10 series

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by marty2005, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Riggy

Riggy Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm actually using the 10.1 as rears in my set up, they really work well too! Just thought it could be an idea, I'm not sure how much the rears your looking at are, but I got the 10.1's for about £169 per pair, but that was at the beginning of this year so you could get them a little cheaper.
  2. Surreal

Surreal Member

Ratings:
    +0

Cheers for the reply, I was actually thinking about the 10.1s but i dont have the space to mount them behind my sofa, so the 10.sr or the 10.dfs are my only choice, which is a pain
  3. Riggy

Riggy Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ahh a space limitation. I did have a look at the 10.Sr and thought they was a very good capable speaker, but I love the 10.1's :D but unfortunately I've never had any experience with the 10.dfs.
    I think the best bet is if you can go to a local hi-fi store and sample them. I'm not sure where your from, but I found that Richer Sounds were very good when it came to sampling speakers.

Good luck with the search!
  4. RobJackson85

RobJackson85 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Having read the entire thread form the beginning to the end, I have decided that the Diamond 10 series are going to be my next speaker package!

I'm going to start with the 10.CM and 10.2 for the front 3. The centre is a monster! Makes me want it even more just for the size!

Eventually I'll upgrade my rears, but that'll be in 6 months+.

My only other dilemma, do I keep my Onkyo 606 for a possible 7.1 system or do I sell and get a new 5.1 amp with 3D pass through? Admittedly 7.1 would be a bit excessive in the room everything will be fitted in.

Will be getting the speakers as presents for Christmas and birthday, both in December, so won't be able to give my impressions until then!
  5. luap1983

luap1983 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, just been to Richer Sounds to have a look at the Wharfedale 10.3's, I ask him about the 10.4's and he said in his opinion the 10.3's are better. (not to sure why) anyway what do you guys think? I quite like the look of the 10.3's coz they are small and not so in your face!! and they sounded nice. is the xtra money worth spending for the 10.4's?
  6. richardc1983

richardc1983 Member

Ratings:
    +33
    If u have a sub then stick with 10.3s if u don't have a sub get 10.4s the extra driver helps. I have 10.4s and still ended up getting a sub and now the 10.4s do no bass management at all it's all down to the sub. So could have saved money and got 10.3s.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. RobJackson85

RobJackson85 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Finally got my 10.2's and 10.CM!

Sound amazing with just some cheap thin wire - time to upgrade the cables.

Thinking about some banana plugs too, I notice that there is some little red plugs inside the connections. Can these be removed easily? Are they designed to be removed? Had a try by sticking my nail around it but no look. Thought I best seek advice before attacking them with a screwdriver.
  8. Jtm79

Jtm79 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have set of monitor audio speakers 3xbr2 and 2xbr1. My onkyo blew out and also blewe tweeters from my main br2 speakers. I ordered replacement tweeters but i would also like to upgrade my whole system.

Would Set of 3x10.2 and 2x10.1 be upgrade or downgrade comparded to br series? And what about bx series?
  9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,682
    How did you manage to come up with THREE BX2 speakers, they are usually sold in pairs?

And I think you will have the same problem with the 10.2, they are sold in pairs and it is difficult to get THREE of them.

The BX2 and the 10.2 are generally in the same class, and generally the same size, and generally the same price; while you may have a preference for one over the other, most would consider it a sideways step.

Any idea what made the Onkyo Amp blow? That's a rare occurrence. Though, you must make sure your wiring is clean and tight with no stray stands of wire. In your case though, unless you massively abused the amp, it seems like some type of internal fault.

Steve/bluewwizard
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. Jtm79

Jtm79 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have BR speakers not BX. Well some retailers here in Finland will sell single speakers. Yeah i know wharfedale diamond series is in the same glass with ma br series, but it looks maybe bit better.

I might just get MA BX series.
  11. Nikandros

Nikandros Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, guys
    I have been frantically searching over the net to verify that my recently acquired Denon 1611 wouldn't have any trouble driving the diamond 10.2's (given their rather low sensitivity and their 6 ohm nominal impedance). The room I am going to use for the system is about 20 - 25 square meters. Although jamjam's comments seem to be happily answering my question in a positive way, I would like a bit of help with respect to the following:
    1) I would like to use the 10.2's (I would prefer to avoid floorstanding speakers) as front and listen primarily to stereo music. I have heard them with an older Yamaha receiver and I have really enjoyed how they sounded.
    2) With respect to the main and the rear speakers, could I - without causing too much of a problem to my system or really losing a lot on quality and matching issues - use another definitely cheaper system like the yamaha ns - c444 and yamaha ns - 333's respectively?
    3) Should I opt for a relatively powerful - for my space - subwoofer like the the yamaha yst-rsw300 or should I be getting something smaller?
    (Let me add that with respect to the front speakers and given the budget restrictions I am between the 10.2's and the mordaunt short 902i's - the latter are 8 ohm, have a higher sensitivity, sound quite good to my ears, have good reviews for their price tag, are also 10% less expensive, but I prefer the sound of the diamond 10.2's)
    Thanks in advance
  12. scruff

scruff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I'm in Canada and have a dilemma.

I've been eyeing the gold series Monitor audio speakers, but I've always been a fan of the Wharfedales. I owned a set of E70 for 20+ years and loved them.

Now, I'm looking at the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 vs. the Jade 7 speaker systems, against the Gold Monitor Audio speakers.

I want to use these for in-depth sorround sound for movies, but also for excellent audiophile quality music.

It's extrememly difficult to find comparisons or even complete reviews on all 3 of these.

Regardless, which I decide on, I'd be shipping them to Canada from England.

Any thoughts?
  13. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    I would suspect that the Jade and the Gold are a substantial class above the Diamonds.

The Jade are new so we don't have much feed back on them. The MA Gold, especially the newly released models should be pretty impressive. But the PR I'm getting on the Jade make them sound pretty high end, so I would expect good things from them too.

Indications are that the JADE 7 are about US$4200 per pair. That's not cheap. The Monitor Audio Gold GX 300 are, based on a quick search, about US$2750 EACH, pushing them up to about US$5500/pr.

Music Direct - WHARFEDALE - JADE 7 TOWER SPEAKERS (PR)

Audio Advisor - Monitor Audio Gold GX 300

If you are dealing with Music Direct in Chicago, and can audition, consider the Focal Electra 1027 at about US$3995/pr (normally US$5500/pr) -

Music Direct - FOCAL - ELECTRA 1027 S TOWER SPEAKERS (PR)

Again, all these speakers are in a class far about the Diamond series. Good though the Diamond series may be, they are simply not the equal of $4000 to $5000 speakers.

The Diamond 10.7 are about US$1299/pr -

Music Direct - Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 Tower Speakers

The Wharfedale EVO2 are on sale, the largest EVO2-50, normally US$2500/pr, are now a mere US$999/pr -

Music Direct - Whafedale EVO2-50 Tower Speakers

Steve/bluewizard
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  14. scruff

scruff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the detailed info.

The EVO2s are end-of-lined I believe, but still a great speaker.

To be truthful, I never heard of or considered the Focal Electa, but I'll certainly look into it. I'm in Toronto, Canada, so I have to find a local place to hear them.

As for the Jade 7s I'm leaning towards, I can't find anybody who has them to listen to here.

Regarding pricing, I can bring in these speakers for less, once the VAT 20-25% is taken out, but if things damage in shipping, I'm taking a chance.

Will keep you all posted.
  15. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    Keep in mind there may be various import duties when the goods come into Canada, and you may be compelled to pay local sales tax, though I can't be sure of that last part.

Euro goods are always going to be more expensive in the USA. For example, the Diamond 10.7 are £580/pr in the UK (includes VAT). Using standard currency conversion that come to US$899/pr. However, the actual cost is US$1290/pr, which in turn is £832/pr. Most of the excess has to be the cost of importing and related expenses.

Still with over 17% VAT, you can reduce the cost substantially, but I would check into the various costs besides shipping, and make sure the math adds up for you.

I've done a bit if import/export, though mostly export, and with packages of reasonably weight and under 1 cubic meter, the cost of air freight is typically less than a certainly no more than ocean freight. There are many Freight Forwarding services in both countries that can help you with shipping.

Most of the freight forwarding I've done has been dropped shipped. I have to arrange the pickup and delivery with a Freight service, but I never saw the Freight Forwarder, and never saw the goods.

However, freight services like DHL, FedEx, or UPS are extremely expensive. Though they pretty much take care of customs and drop ship right to your door. But Air and Ocean Freight service can arrange door-to-door pickup and delivery. I'm not sure about services in Toronto, though every major city has them, but you might save a bit, if you can pick the speakers up at the local freight office rather than having them trucked to your door.

But my point is to weigh all the costs, and anticipate any hidden cost you might encounter.

A quick search of Google for "Freight Forwarder Toronto Canada" turned up a long list. I would try to find one that specializes in Europe. Most freight forwarders are experienced with handling both ends of a shipment, and an coordinate with other freight services. So, whether you choose a freight forwarder in Toronto or track one down in the UK, is somewhat irrelevant.

Google Web Search - Freight Forwarders Toronto Canada

Once you have the package dimensions and weight, you can get quotes for both Air and Ocean Freight. Air takes a few days to perhaps a week, ocean can take 2 to 3 weeks. Again, for packages under 1 cubic meter, air freight is usually cheaper.

Steve/bluewizard
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. scruff

scruff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to pay Canadian taxes regardless whether I buy them here or the USA, or I import them from overseas. Really, the difference would be the shipping.

And yes, Toronto is a big city with freight forwarders and I can pick it up at the airport or at the freight office.

Hmmm... worth looking into...
  17. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    When searching freight forwarding services, try to find one with experience in Europe. For example, KWE specialized in Asia, they can certainly ship to and from Europe, but that is not their specialty.

Keep in mind that many Freight Forwarding services are not actual freight services. They are logistical; they handle the details, coordination, and the paperwork, but subcontract the shipping to actual and assorted independent freight companies. Which is why it is nice to get a company with experience in Europe as they will already have contacts in Europe.

Steve/bluewizard
  18. scruff

scruff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know of anybody in England you can recommend or point me to?
  19. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    My experience in export was to Korea, so I'm not that sure of who to use for UK to USA, but .... Google is your Friend -

Google-UK Web Search - Freight Forwarders UK to USA

I've arrange shipment within South Korea, and managed everything by email, and fax. So, arranging for a UK Freight Forwarder to pick up your merchandise and ship it to Canada shouldn't be a problem. But, you have to make sure of the exact pickup location of the shipment.

Also, many Freight Forwarders are international, you might find a service that has offices both in the UK and Toronto.

Steve/bluewizard
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  20. amatuer

amatuer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    was hoping to get some help, maybe I need to move my question to a new thread
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  21. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    Just wondering if people are still happy with their Diamonds, or if you've moved on to something else?

I'm currently looking to put together a new 5.1 system, starting intially with a stereo pair, and I'm thinking the 10.7 looks like cracking value for money.
  22. R B Customs

R B Customs Member

Ratings:
    +21
    they're great value for money. the new diamond 100 series is just around the corner (it's being advertised now) so you may want to hang on.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    Oh, thanks for the tip!

I'd gone to the Diamond series as I was wary of buying some others as they seemed ready for replacement, it'd have driven me nuts if I'd bought them just as they were changed.

Better go out and buy some hi-fi mags to get up to date, I think.

*edit* I've just Googled and it's led me to your other thread :)
  24. Not Audiophile

Not Audiophile Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask what was wrong with 10.1 & 10.0? I'm curious as I'm going to put Diamond 9.1 to the front and 9.0 to the rear. I don't see a point in buying bigger speakers as bass will be redirected to subwoofer anyway.

Thanks
  25. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    Keep in mind the entire Diamond series is based around the same drivers. The Diamond 10.3 has a single 5" mid-bass driver. The Diamond 10.4 has the same 5" mid-bass driver, but has an additional 5" low bass driver.

As to the comment that the additional 5" low bass does nothing if you have a Subwoofer, that is not quite true. If we assume the somewhat standard 80hz Sub crossover, then the second low-bass driver carries on up to about 150hz where it starts to fade out.

Keep in mind that Crossover Frequencies are not brick walls. It is not the point where output from a speaker ends, it is the point where the output starts to fade. So, you are getting some assistance from the low-bass driver even if you have a subwoofer.

As to which actually sounds better, that is a matter of opinion, and only your ears can tell you which you refer. The Diamond 10.3 and the Diamond 10.4 do have very different crossover structures. The Diamond 10.3 depends much heavier on the tweeter, where as the Diamond 10.4 depend more heavily on the Mid-Bass driver.

Ultimately, your ears are the best test. Also keep in mind the Diamond 10.3 are about £200, while the Diamond 10.4 are about £330. You have to decide if the extra £130 is buying you something you really need.

Personally, I'm always going for the biggest speaker I can afford, but that's just me.

Steve/bluewizard
  26. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    I think you have misinterpreted. There is nothing wrong with the Diamond 10.1, a fine speaker for all occasions. The Diamond 10.0 is OK for a rear speaker or for casual listening on a compact system. But with a 4" bass driver it is a somewhat limited speaker.

Keep in mind the Subwoofer only covers frequencies up to about 80hz in a normal setup. The twin bass drivers will both push air up to about 150hz, so the additional bass driver is not exactly wasted. Plus for pure music listening the extra bass is an advantage.

But your central point is true. For movie watching, Bookshelf Sub can and will do a fine job, and the Diamond 10.1 are pretty good music speakers as well. So, there is nothing wrong with this choice.

Keep in mind, if you start with Diamond 9, down the road if you feel the need to upgrade to bigger speakers, the Diamond 10's would be a reasonable choice. They are not a perfect match, but they are the closest match you will find. So, choosing Diamond 9 series now does not lock you into a limited system. There are plenty of options for expansion in the future.

However, the Diamond 9.1 are a pretty sweet speaker, and currently at an exceptionally low price. I seriously doubt that you can do better for the modest current price. The deal, especially now that they price has been reduced another £10, makes the Diamond 9.1 too sweet to pass up.

Steve/bluewizard
  27. Not Audiophile

Not Audiophile Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I would have a problem with an upgrade in the future as 9 series as it wouldn’t be available anymore .
    However, I paid only £50 for 9.1 brand new (Ebay) and £25 for 9.0 second hand so I decided to take the risk as the savings were massive. Now I can afford to buy a good sub.
    Now I’m struggling to find 9.CS centre. I found only 9.CC so far which is not good enough. I might end up with 10.CS, it should integrate well with 9 series.
  28. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,682
    My point was, if you choose to upgrade in the future, you can blend Diamond 9 series and Diamond 10 series reasonably well.

Or, as you are thinking now, because the Diamond 9 Centers are so rare, you could reasonably blend a Diamond 10 series Center into the system. The Diamond 10 series does provide you with some upgrade path from the Diamond 9's.

Excellent deal on the Diamond 9 series speakers by the way. For that price, you should find these stunningly good speakers.

Steve/bluewizard
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Not Audiophile

Not Audiophile Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate, I misread your post. Yeah, that was a good deal! If you want a bargain look for "collection only" ebay auctions. The 9.0's were found on gumtree.

I'm glad that I can use the 10 series centre to complete my system.

Thanks a lot!
  30. Hitby

Hitby Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    I've just got the 10.3s which are massive compared to the Kef eggs they replaced but those things are monolithic. They look great :D