*NEW* VU+ Duo Enigma2 HD Twin receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neophasis

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything or own one of these?

It's supposed to have the same hardware as DM8000 but half price, 449 euro.

As it's based on same hardware as DM8000, Enigma2 and CCcam works brilliant according to what people say in other forums.

Technische Daten Vu+ DUO Twin Linux HDTV Receiver PVR ready

· Open-Source Linux Betriebssystem (Enigma2)

· Broadcom Mips Prozessor

· Twin DVB-S2 Tuner

· MPEG2/ H.264 Hardware decoding (DVB konform)

· 16 Stelliges Alphanummerisches VFD Display

· 2 x Common Interface Slots

· 2 x Smartcard-Reader (Conax Embedded)

· 10/100 Mbit Ethernet Interface

· 3 x USB2.0 (1xFront/2xBack)

· 1 x intern SATA für den Einbau einer HDD

· 1 x E-SATA

· 1 x V.24/RS232

· HDMI Anschluss

· 2 x Scart

· 1 x YPrPb

· 1 x S/PDIF für digitale Audioübertragung (optisch)

· Kanalwechsel < 1 Sekunde

· EPG (electronic program guide)

· Plugin Support (JPEG,MP3,XVID...)

· Unterstützung von Bouquet-Listen

· OSD Mehrsprachig, Skin - Unterstützung

· Vollautomatischer, Manueller Kanalsuchlauf

· Videotext

· DiSEqC 1.o,1.1 und1.2

Video:

Video resolution CCIR 601 (720 x 576 lines), 576p, 720p, 1080i

Video decoding MPEG-2, MPEG-4 compatible

Input data rate 2-45 MSymb/s

S/N >53 dB

Audio:

Decoding AC 3, MPEG-4 (AAC-HE), MPEG-1, Layer 1, 2 and 3

Sampling rate 32/44.1/48 kHz

S/N > 65 dB

Leistungsaufnahme:

< 25W (im Betrieb, horizontal / 400mA LNB Strom)

< 20W (im Betrieb, ohne LNB)

< 1W (Deep-Standby-Mode)

Betriebssspannung:

100-240 Volt 50-60 Hz

Their forum at:

Vu+ Support Forum | Startseite

1.JPG

2.JPG

Looks interesting and certainly well spec`d, my concern would be how "open-source" it really is. Having a look on the website it would appear it needs specific images, and won`t run dreambox images (could be wrong though, my german isn`t great), meaning you`re at the mercy of the development team in much the same way as the AZBox/spiderbox et al, all of which offer similar connections/functionality for that price or lower. Now if someone could produce a box with that spec and price which you could flash dreambox images to they`d be onto a winner.

It's running the same Enigma2 which Dreamboxes uses, however we don't know how stable it is and how many bugs there are to be sorted and if they ever will be sorted.

We all know prior Linux boxes promising heaven to all buyers and 1 year after release they all went downhill, i just hope this one can survive better as the harware seem similar to DM8000 except it only have twin tuner and the DM8000 can have four tuners.

We've got literally only a handful of these due to arrive the start of next week. I will definatly been keeping one back to play with!

From what we've read and seen so far these boxes look to be great. It's finally another box other than a Dreambox that's offering Enigma2 and what that brings, but also doing so LEGALLY, this is absolutely not a Dreambox clone, they have developed their own bootloader and drivers and are running the open source Enigma2 firmware.

Absolutely agree with the comments about previous Linux boxes offering the world and never really delivering, however this I beleive is different, we've not seen another Linux box offer what this already seems to have running, not just might have, and the thing that convinced me to get a few in stock, the fact that PLi have committed their support to it and already started releasing daily firmware updates, PLi images have always been a favorite of mine.

I'll happily post back some genuine feedback once I've had a chance to play with one, I'm genuinely looking forward to playing with this which I haven't been able to say on some of the others... :smashin:

Last edited:
Look forward to your findings and opinions on this box once you`ve had a play.

i have been stalling on buying a dreambox 8000,so i would like to hear more on this receiver, look forward to reading your comments

i have been stalling on buying a dreambox 8000,so i would like to hear more on this receiver, look forward to reading your comments

Don't stall mate just do it, you won't be sorry. There's nothing around that comes near the DM8000.

Heard it all before, the new Drambox killer :rolleyes: , thats what they said about the AZbox also.

I held of buying the DM8000 as everyone was saying how good the AZbox would be and thats seems to be a load of ****. Had my DM8000 a few days and love it.

We have indeed heard it all before, but this one is different for the reasons I've already explained above, it is running Enigma2 and is doing so legally, no other has done this before now and fully supported the popular cams, this one already does, not could do, it already is... It is though still early days that's true, but at less than half the price of a DM8000 it's at least got to be worth a look rather than dismissed so easily? It's only some posts by users of other forums which tout it as a 'DM8000 killer' but to be fair that's not really doing justice, it's its own receiver, and what looks to be a real contender when judged on price AND features, sure the DM8000 maybe still comes out on top but at £900ish compared to £400ish like I say it's got to be worth a look, and with someone like PLi taking it on board it obviously aint no rubbish!

All I'm saying don't be so quick to dismiss it just because past receivers have not delivered. Should be here Tuesday/Wednesday anyway so I will hopefully know a bit more by then :smashin:

Apart from it being the most uglyest sat box
i've ever seen it only has 2 tuners, DM8000 HAS
2 x DVB-S2 tuners and slots for 2 mote Tuners.
Which for me is a must.
Kathrein Ipbox AZBox Qbox HD all Linux wannabee boxes that promises so much but can't deliver. Expect this one to be the same.

Would be great to have a sat box to pust Dream multi media into bring there prices down, but we will have to see.

Seeing reports that this can now be imported from germany for around £480, lot of money for an unproven sat box (at the moment).

YouTube - Vu+ Duo VTi Image

I still don't think you've quite grasped what I'm saying and why this is different to the other Linux boxes we've seen before... I will say again this receiver (legally) runs the Enigma2 firmware, the Enigma2 fimware (same as DM800 and DM8000 run) has always been open source, the copyright part is the bootloader drivers, Vu+ has it's own drivers, they are not a rip off of a Dreambox, they have legally developed their own drivers to run Enigma2, this is the only other manufacturer other than Dream Multimedia to do so... It apparently also can be made to run DM8000 images, but this I personally think is doing it a bit of disservice, it's not trying to be a DM8000 clone and has its own firmware and images to concentrate on...

The important part in all this is the chipset is based on the same one that Dream Multimedia use, the firmware is also based on the one Dream Multimedia use AND is open source which means anyone can develop this and a couple of groups (most notably PLi) have already started doing so... The ground work is already done on this one and the difference between this and previous Linux receivers is obvious to see. :smashin:

We not allowed to advertise on this forum which is fair enough but these are selling now in the UK for around £400 plus delivery, so at a price close to a DM800 yet with a spec. closer to the DM8000, though admittedly not AS good, like I've already said it's well worth a look :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've taken the plunge and ordered one these receivers from here: -

PHP:
http://www.sat-shop.co.uk/Digital-Receivers-Marusys/c46_84/p366/Marusys-VU+-DUO-Twin-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver/product_info.html
I've been waiting for a HD receiver like this one to come along and replace my trusty DM7025+. I like the DM8000, but I never wanted four tuners and a DVD player built into my sat receiver + its just way to expensive. All I wanted was a receiver that does what the DM800 does but with twin tuners, the VU+ Duo does just that :)

Oh btw, I dont think it's ugly, I think its quite retro looking :)

I still don't think you've quite grasped what I'm saying and why this is different to the other Linux boxes

Trust me i know what your saying, isn't this new box made by the same company that brought us the Kathrein? :rolleyes:
Only time will tell, like i said i hope it does take of as for me it would be ideal for the bedroom. Can it yet be used with CCcam? It's a HD versiuon of the DM7025 really isn't it?

the Enigma2 fimware (same as DM800 and DM8000

It apparently also can be made to run DM8000 images

chipset is based on the same one that Dream Multimedia use, the firmware is also based on the one Dream Multimedia use AND is open source

it's not trying to be a DM8000 clone
:rolleyes:

So basically it's a clone Dreambox? :)

I've been waiting for a HD receiver like this one to come along and replace my trusty DM7025+. I like the DM8000, but I never wanted four tuners and a DVD player built into my sat receiver + its just way to expensive. All I wanted was a receiver that does what the DM800 does but with twin tuners, the VU+ Duo does just that

Look forward to your comments, thought you had brought a DM8000?

Look forward to your comments, thought you had brought a DM8000?

Never bothered due to the price being so high! Yes it does support CCcam 2.1.3 as a client and server. Personally I think this receiver will kill off the genuine DM800 and will reduce sales of the DM8000.

Never bothered due to the price being so high! Yes it does support CCcam 2.1.3 as a client and server. Personally I think this receiver will kill off the genuine DM800 and will reduce sales of the DM8000.

Sicilian, didn't they say the same about the AZbox? Good news it runs CCcam though. May well buy one and have a play. Will have to go some to be up there with the DM8000 though. If 2 tuners is enough then this will be ideal. :thumbsup:

Could also be bad news for the DM500HD if it ever come's out, an extra £100 for an extra tuner and hard drive, bargain.

Do you know when yours will be here?

Because something runs Enigma2 does not make it a clone, you don't seem to be able to grasp that bit, Enigma2 is open source which means it's not owned by Dream Multimedia, the bootloader drivers to get the firmware to run are what are copyright of the manufacturer and finally we have another manufacturer other than Dream that have come up with something, it's great news in many respects and also means it's already doing most of what a lot of other HD Linux boxes only ever promised.

Should be here Tuesday/Wednesday and will be able to test myself then rather than go on what you read, but I've no doubt it'll do all I've read it'll do. :smashin:

Last edited:
Because something runs Enigma2 does not make it a clone, you don't seem to be able to grasp that bit, Enigma2 is open source which means it's not owned by Dream Multimedia, the bootloader drivers to get the firmware to run are what are copyright of the manufacturer and finally we have another manufacturer other than Dream that have come up with something, it's great news in many respects and also means it's already doing most of what a lot of other HD Linux boxes only ever promised.

Should be here Tuesday/Wednesday and will be able to test myself then rather than go on what you read, but I've no doubt it'll do all I've read it'll do. :smashin:

I know what Enigma 2 is and what it does. All i'm saying is the box it's self
is based on a DM. Come on even you can see that.
It's great news it's open source and i hope many other teams jump on.

Please post your views as a sat user, not seller once you've tested the box? :thumbsup: Like i said, i hope it's as good as other are saying, but we have been here before.

If it gets half the backing DM gets it could be a very good buy. :)

I wouldn't say based on a Dreambox no, I would say based on Enigma2 so naturally there is going to be a lot of similar features between the two makes, and yes Dreambox were the first and up to now have been the only ones, so I suppose whatever other Enigma2 based box comes out you could say it's based on a Dreambox, but really it's based on the firmware.... Anyway you could argue that one all day long and really both views have a point....

Based on features I think going on what we know I'd place this somewhere inbetween the two current HD Dreambox. Based on price well that one's obvious. Based on support well again that one's obvious, so at half-time i'd say it's about 1-1, can't wait for the second half....

Will 100% be a none biased review of some features I post though, being a genuine satellite enthusiast I can't really do it any other way :smashin:

Sicilian, didn't they say the same about the AZbox? Good news it runs CCcam though. May well buy one and have a play. Will have to go some to be up there with the DM8000 though. If 2 tuners is enough then this will be ideal. :thumbsup:

Could also be bad news for the DM500HD if it ever come's out, an extra £100 for an extra tuner and hard drive, bargain.

Do you know when yours will be here?

Tbh I've never really looked at the Azbox, but from what i've been told its not fully open source and the linux file structure is different. I dont think it even runs on enigma 2. Thats the difference with the VU+, it runs enigma 2 like the dreamboxes and from what i've read more or less all the dm800/8000 plugins should work with it. Even CCcam 2.1.3 works on it straight from the box, from what i've read. I'll hopefully be receiving by the end of next week, so i'll keep this thread updated. If you know me from other forums my review of this will be straight up, I will say what it can and cant do :thumbsup:

Its about time Dream Multimedia were given a run for the their money, hopefully the VU+ Duo will do just that :)

i will probably buy this too. I had azbox but i sold it.
I have dm800 clone but will probably sell this one too, will se how vu+ will perform. I bet it will perform better than azbox with 1+ year of development LOL

And ofcourse it looks like DM. Enigma2 basically demands same structure of hardware, if hardware is different you have limitations. You can see that in IPBOX and other similar boxes.

Some screenshots:

IMG_5966%20tt.jpg

IMG_5970%20t.jpg

IMG_5971%20t.jpg

IMG_5968%20t.jpg

The more and more i read i like this box, may well order one for the bedroom.
Would replace my DM800 clone.
Thanx to VuPlus from Sat-Plus! :thumbsup:

s73r1857.jpg

s73r1860.jpg

s73r1861.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks - Sumner's songs weren't bad.:thumbsup:

The more and more i read i like this box, may well order one for the bedroom.
Would replace my DM800 clone.

You best hurry, they've only got 1 left in the first batch ;)

PHP:
http://www.sat-shop.co.uk/Digital-Receivers-Marusys/c46_84/p366/Marusys-VU+-DUO-Twin-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver/product_info.html

You best hurry, they've only got 1 left in the first batch ;)

PHP:

Will wait for some reports first. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom