Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the UK - Freeview Reception

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by JensMartin, Feb 22, 2012.

1. JensMartin

JensMartin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have only recently moved to the UK and have been busy wiring up my new property. I have already got Sky up and running in the living room without any problem from the dish on the roof of the house.

In the kitchen and bedroom however there are "normal" antenna points in the wall. So, for the kitchen I bought a:

"Samsung UE19D4003 19-inch Widescreen HD ready LED TV with Freeview"

... and in the bedroom I bought a:

"Panasonic DMR-HW100EBK 320GB HDD TV Recorder with Twin Freeview HD Tuners"

I connected both of these up and plugged them into the antenna sockets in the wall and expected to just run the automated tuning program on both machines and find that I could get all of the Freeview channels.

In actual fact though, neither machine managed to find a single channel. :-(

What did I do wrong? Do you need to register/activate freeview reception or something like that??
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,116
    No activation required. Are you sure you actually have a uhf aerial on the property. The sockets may be just wired back to a common point (often in the loft) leaving you to provide a suitable aerial.

A knowledge of your local Freeview reception is needed for futher advice.

Enter your postcode here and tick I am in the trade. If you can post an image of the table then it will greatly help.

Digital UK - Postcode checker
  3. JensMartin

JensMartin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like this?

Attached Files:

4. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,116
    I can't open docm files. Can you save in a standard word .doc format or attach an image to a post.
  5. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +161
    It's is .doc, opens fine here.

But until the OP answers your question it won't help anyway.
  6. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,116
    Thanks, I don't have Word but Open Office opened it after saving to a hdd.

Table shows Group B should give reception from Heathfield subject to usual 10M high external mounting.
  7. JensMartin

JensMartin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I'm right in thinking that what I did was correct and should have worked. The fact that it didn't, suggests that there is an issue with the wiring in the house?
  8. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +161
    Does your home have an aerial? If it does is it connected to the aerial sockets? Is there a amplifier / splitter as you say you have two sockets. If yes is is powered. ETC.
  9. JensMartin

JensMartin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It does have an aerial, yes. It's a rental property though so am not entirely sure of the exact nature of how everything is connected.
  10. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +161
    Well in that case is it pointing in the appropriate direction (compare with others locally) if yes you need to find out and or ask the landlord about the wiring.
  11. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    Fred Smith is probably on the right lines. Some aerial systems will have a powered splitter, usually in the loft, or a amplifier on the aerial itself. Both these devices need a DC power source to make them work.This is usually provided by a box which plugs into the mains and is inserted between the aerial downlead and the TV aerial socket behind the TV. A lot of people seem to think these boxes are 'boosters' and take them away when they move which renders and powered splitter or aerial booster quite useless. In fact you get nothing at all. It's quite a common occurance.

You need to establish if this is the case. Look in the loft. Is there a sizable box on the aerial. A photo of either to the Forum usually provides a clue. The power supplies are easy to buy and cost about £15.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  12. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +587
    it is possible the roof UHF antenna (or aerial in UK-speak) gets to the main room wall point (along with the Sky dish feeds) and is intended to be connected to RF in of Sky box. Then the RF2 out from the Sky box goes back to the wall point 'return' feed for distribution to all the other rooms? [RF1 feeding the main set if it has Freeview].

Especially if there's a wall plate a bit like this one in the main room http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/triax_304114.htm
  13. JensMartin

JensMartin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been speaking to a few other people. Is it not also possible that the aerial simply is too old and not equiped to deal with the digital signal?

Tried tuning the TV on analogue and managed to get BBC1, BBC2, ITV and C4 (No C5) but with pretty ropy signal.
  14. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    It's more likely that the cables are not connected. There is no difference between an analogue and a digital aerial. It is difficult to help you with your problem if you keep theorising about what might be wrong and not pursuing some of the suggestions that have been made.

The reason why you are getting a rough analogue signal may be because the cable is acting as a crude aerial.
  15. iaint

iaint Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Hi.
    Have you tried plugging a Freeview tuner into the antenna socket(s) I guess you have in the lounge? Does whatever you're watching Sky on have a Freeview tuner? If not, that 19" ought to be fairly portable...
    --
    Regards, Iain.
  16. winston2010

winston2010 Member

Ratings:
    +126
    If analogue is that bad it is very likely digital is below the digital cliff. When a digital signal gets ropy nothing happens until it suddenly stops working, known as falling below the digital cliff.

So there is something wrong with the aerial or cabling.