Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New soffits, guttering and fascia boards (cost)

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by THE AMATUER, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +224
    aren't a lot of soffits made from asbestos (brown) concrete ?

has put me off ever doing any with ours for our 70s house anyway

wood surrounds need replacing though - suppose that can be down without distrubing the soffits themselves ?
  2. Deanuz

Deanuz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes they are!
    Be careful not a lot of installers have the appropriate training to remove asbestos or for that matter even to transport it.

yes you can cap over the asbestos and just replace the fascia and gutter,its not the right way, but it is a lot cheaper. It also helps because the weight of the asbestos weights your new soffit down and can stop it all blowing loose in high winds. just make sure you and the fitters are wearing safety gear face masks, coveralls and safety goggles and all windows are closed!
    and just be as careful as possible! damping the soffit down helps to stop the fibers becoming air born if damaged!
    I'm not saying this is the right thing to do just giving you some options!!!

Asbestos is a Killer be very careful! do not even attempt to remove this yourself and always seek advice from the professionals

if you suspect you soffit may be asbestos Never sand it down to paint!!!!

THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT THING TO DO, BUT WE ALL KNOW SOME PEOPLE CUT CORNERS, I DO NOT CONDONE THIS IN ANY WAY!
  3. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +224
    thanks

I'm just going to leave ours ...

I have noticed a few people (not our neighbours thankfully) having work on their soffits on our estate ...

have never noticed anyone wearing any kind of breathing protection etc .... !
  4. fghj

fghj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

I followed this thread as I am currently looking to have something done about my fascia and soffits. I have 2 different companies one for replacing with upvc and the other for capping. They both seem well established reasonable businesses and both sound very reasonable in their reasons for the choices. I was looking for some clear advice. This thread had me convinced that replacing was the way to go right up until Deanuz's statement that :

"yes you can cap over the asbestos and just replace the fascia and gutter,its not the right way, but it is a lot cheaper. It also helps because the weight of the asbestos weights your new soffit down and can stop it all blowing loose in high winds."

Is this a real possibility? Lack of strength was the reason that the capping man says the replacement man is wrong!

So now I am confused all over again, please help.
  5. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,990
    What ever you do get the old Sofits Ripped off and new fitted , none of the Nailing on top crap, waist of Bloody time that, put it this way it is like spraying a Turd if soffits are already gone , which i bet there all ready are.. it is worth the extra for Piece of mind ..
  6. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    right you must get the old wooden facia taken off and replaced because its still rotting underneath the plastic capping all its doing is covering up the problem not solving it.

as for the sofit (the bit underneath the overhang) the reason the contractor doesn't want to remove it because it could cost £550-£600 quid to get rid of the asbestos sofit properly (the sofit is actually Asbestolux which contains 18% amosite (brown) asbestos)

there should be any harm capping over the sofit but not facias it because the asbestos wont rot like wood.
  7. fghj

fghj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, but the question is : Will the plastic be less strong than the wood fascia (assuming the wood is Ok), will it blow away in a gale. I am in an exposed coastal area so it is an important consideration.
  8. little puma

little puma Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. flat spot

flat spot Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I've just had new windows in and asked for a price on the facias etc. Just to nail over the top would be about £1000. I priced up the stuff at about £250 so will do it myself.
    Nearly all the houses around me have it nailed over the top. I don't think it's any different to painting over it if you're not going to replace the wood.
  10. flat spot

flat spot Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Whoa hang on a minute,I've just noticed the date of this thread. Blatent Spammy advertising from "local". Time for a ban me thinks.
  11. Karina79

Karina79 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, ive just come across this forum ~ just wondering if anyone can advise me......Just had a re~fit of fascia's etc + just wondering whether the roofers should have sealed the work done??? My next door neighbour had his done at xmas + all of his house has been sealed where mine hasn't. what are the pro's + con's for this please + do i need to be calling my roofers back?! Thanx
  12. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +961
    to be honest i wouldnt worry about it , i would worry more about whether they have overclad or removed and replaced , and the answer is ..............
  13. Karina79

Karina79 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Yeh they have removed + replaced! Had to complain about a few other minor things, + just wondered whether i needed to add sealent onto the list?! So how come some people seal + others don't? Do u know the pro's + con's so i can decide whether to get it done or not. Also they've left the t.v wires etc hanging out + going over the top of the guttering ~ looks dreadfull! Is this commonplace or should they be tucking them under? Many thanx
  14. flat spot

flat spot Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Dunno about the sealant but the wires are usually left hanging as you're not paying for to put that straight.

I've just had my windows done and all the wires were left hanging. I guess it's how much they can actually be bothered to "finish" the job.
  15. Jane Newman

Jane Newman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My facias don't need replacing (or at least I don't think they do) but I'd like to get them done to save repainting.

I've plastic guttering and down pipes so I presume I'm okay with reusing them ?

Am I right in thinking I just need fascias and clips (for the broken ones during the replacement process) ?

What is capping, is that the bit which covers the edges of the upturned V of the roof - the very edge of the slate tiles ? (sorry for my ignorance) :)

I like the capping if that is what it is but should I avoid it or can I go for it - I don't want damage being caused in the future.

My house is a very long 3 bed semi (circa 1900) ... reason it is so long is because it has an extension which makes it more than double a normal 1900 semi in length.

As there is an extension, there is also the length of the extension back to the main build from the back of the house - hope that makes sense.

Based on this info, what do you think I should pay for a) fascias and b) capping ?

And should I go for the stuck on or nailed on stuff or a complete remove and replace fascia - which is best ?

Being a woman, I don't want to get ripped off as since buying my house, I've been ripped off big style by quite a few tradesmen - one with a roofing job, another with a damp proof course and another taking down a tree so I'm extremely wary at the moment.

Next door neighbours are having theirs done by their family and have asked if I want mine doing but I'd like to know more before saying yeah or neah.

Is there a way of finding out if anything is rotten other than me going up a ladder :(
    Jane
  16. Jane Newman

Jane Newman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My facias don't need replacing (or at least I don't think they do) but I'd like to get them done to save repainting.

I've plastic guttering and down pipes so I presume I'm okay with reusing them ?

Am I right in thinking I just need fascias and clips (for the broken ones during the replacement process) ?

What is capping, is that the bit which covers the edges of the upturned V of the roof - the very edge of the slate tiles ? (sorry for my ignorance)

I like the capping if that is what it is but should I avoid it or can I go for it - I don't want damage being caused in the future.

My house is a very long 3 bed semi (circa 1900) ... reason it is so long is because it has an extension which makes it more than double a normal 1900 semi in length.

As there is an extension, there is also the length of the extension back to the main build from the back of the house - hope that makes sense.

Based on this info, what do you think I should pay for a) fascias and b) capping ?

And should I go for the stuck on or nailed on stuff or a complete remove and replace fascia - which is best ?

Being a woman, I don't want to get ripped off as since buying my house, I've been ripped off big style by quite a few tradesmen - one with a roofing job, another with a damp proof course and another taking down a tree so I'm extremely wary at the moment.

Next door neighbours are having theirs done by their family and have asked if I want mine doing but I'd like to know more before saying yeah or neah.

Is there a way of finding out if anything is rotten other than me going up a ladder
    Jane
  17. neilios

neilios Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,131
    Yeah if you stand at the bottom with a pair of binoculars ,you can examine the soffits and boards in great detail..:laugh:
  18. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,583
    I think this thread might need watching closely... For now please assume the current new posters are genuine.

Thanks,

Dave
  19. gillybobs

gillybobs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...I badly need to replace my wooden fascia and old guttering. I got a quote for £1150 yesterday, but am so wary as I've been taken for a fool so many times. I asked for ogee...and the house is an 'average' three bed semi. Again, a few years ago a roofer said he'd do it for £600...but that was the 'cover up' version, so I promptly said NO! I live not far from Manchester...any recommendations in the area would be well received!
  20. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,740
    Wonder how much it would cost to replace it with wood again...I don't much like the UPVC stuff but our wood is looking a bit tired.
  21. 7ofnine

7ofnine Active Member

Ratings:
    +438
    I would also like to know the answer to that.
    Parts of of ours are in bad shape, and there's not point putting plastic over rotten wood.
  22. THE AMATUER

THE AMATUER Active Member

Ratings:
    +339
    the only thing to bear in mind, and its another job to do, is wood needs to be treated every so often or it will rot. The beauty with uPVC is its pretty much maintenance free.
  23. new build

new build Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone has a budget

If an installer informs you of the pro's and cons of each method then often your budget has to lead you

A cover up is similar to recoating facia with paint and will probably give short to medium term life span

Full removal will remove all potential rotten timber and potentially open up another can of worms with rotten joist ends and perished sarking felt

Consider in 99% of UK properties have timber roof trusses so at soome point you are going to change from wood to pvc

Best advice is to get up/send someone up a ladder to inspect existing facias to see if they will support a cover up or would it be better to do localized timber repairs to facia and then cover with pvc
  24. tjwthomas

tjwthomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it would cost any thing from £500 to £900 all depends on the guttering you use and how wide your soffits and fasias are we fit them every day front back and side with RW pipes each home takes a day to carry the work out thats in any part of [ location removed ]:smashin:
  25. tjwthomas

tjwthomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    soffits are mostly made of wood but thay did make them years and years ago if you have them made like you say you are best getting them removed asp
  26. Peterm173

Peterm173 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

An earlier post from Deanuz some time back (2009) suggested that we should be paying between £50-70 per metre for guttering and fascia replacement, and one of the first on this thread suggested around around £100 per metre.

I am seeking replacement of the above and have been quoted just over £100 per metre for checking of joists (back to 7 tiles), scaffolding, labour, guttering and fascias.

I am just wondering whether this figure is reasonable?

Thanks.

PS I live in cheap-ish Yorkshire...
  27. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,740
    I'd say it was expensive personally. Was the quote from a large firm?
  28. tjwthomas

tjwthomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thats a lot of money why would they want to check your roof joist if they were damaged they would be at the end of the joist when they take the old fasias off we do fasias and soffits and guttering from £1200 for a semi
  29. tjwthomas

tjwthomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thats a lot of money why would they want to check your roof joist if they were damaged they would be at the end of the joist when they take the old fasias off we do fasias and soffits and guttering from £1200 for a semi

if you want to advertise, pay the fee
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  30. Peterm173

Peterm173 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, from a national firm (which I guess is always going to be a bit more expensive, but then that pays for a lengthy guarantee).

I've two double gables, two single gables and a single level garage (over which scaffolding is needed), so does that make it slightly more complicated than a straight house...?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.