1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new Onkyo 605 coming

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by richard plumb, Apr 13, 2007.

1. russraff

russraff Member

Ratings:
    +43
    If it helps, find the links to the receiver reviews below:
    Onkyo 602
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6082
    Onkyo 802
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5358
    Yamaha 675
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6383

Until someone actually tests the newer amps with power measurements I don't know if the above tests will be a guide or not. I guess that I would wait and see.

Russell
  2. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,275
    i wasnt even aware that there was another dts codec, between normal dts and the dts master audio, called dts high resolution?, just checked out dts official website, and all has been revealed to me.

dts - good
    dts - high resolution - better
    dts master audio - perfect

all things dts

all these factors have to be taken into account when purchasing my new amp, and if it turns out to be true about not having all new codecs and the low output per channel in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1... i will have to look elsewhere. I think the sensible thing to do is, wait and get some proper user feedback on the forums and also sort out a demo somewhere. i think alot of people my just buy this amp as it maybe the first on the market with some of the new codecs on board.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. kevin_irl

kevin_irl Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Reading back there I read on the origional posters spec for the 605 it says 90W/CH. Now I imagine that means 90 watt per channel. 20 watt per channel would be pathetic
  4. AVdavid

AVdavid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It can't mean 28w /c, I think it will be powered identical to the 674 just with the extra processing

Dave
  5. xavier71

xavier71 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    has any one noticed that the component connection is rated at 50mhz on the 605, not quite sure what it means but does it mean that the component video connection is SD..?

xbox 360 owners beware.....
  6. ChristianBeccy

ChristianBeccy Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry if I have missed the answer to this question elsewhere on this thread.

Does the 605 fall above or below the 674 in the range? I am trying to work out if it is worth the wait or if I should just go for the 674.:rolleyes:

What does the 605 have that the 674 doesn't? Without delving into the details that only a true expert would spot?
  7. AVdavid

AVdavid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The 605 has HDMI version 1.3 and will decode DTSHD and DD HD, these are the main differences

Dave
  8. ChristianBeccy

ChristianBeccy Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Thank you for that. Now, would it be possible for someone to tell me in very simple terms what effect there would be in terms of those 3 points, if I were to go for the 674?

I do always go over-board with trying to get the very latest spec in whatever I buy, but I currently have a set of amazing looking Tannoy Arena's that I have had for over a week now and I still haven't made my mind up which amp I will buy!!

:(
  9. ChristianBeccy

ChristianBeccy Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I have just had a quick read-up on HDMI 1.3 and it appears that unless all the hardware is HDMI 1.3 compliant, then it is pointless anyway? In other words, my LG LCD set which is very new, but not HDMI 1.3 means that even with an HDMI 1.3 amp, I will not see any benefit? I am guessing that this also applies to the new sound formats too??

Or am I way off the mark??
  10. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    I was under the impression that the benefits of 1.3 were related to sound more than picture, i may be wrong in saying there is no picture quality difference in 1.2-1.3 but believe the main reason behind 1.3 was to allow the new audio codecs to be transmitted over HDMI rather than seperate digital/analogue connections. Admittedly HDMI 1.3 does allow 48bit deep colour but this isnt standard on any DVDs yet and may not ever be

So long as your DVD player and Amp are 1.3 it shouldnt matter that the TV isnt as the amp just passes the picture through whilst decoding the sound part

My thoughts anyway

EDIT: IIRC correctly the 674 accepts 1.1 and outputs 1.1 so it wouldnt make a difference if your TV was 1.3 or not, only if you were considering waiting til the new range came out in a month or two
  11. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright Moderator & Reviewer Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,223
    HDMI 1.3 will benefit the picture only if you have a 1.3 chain from source through the amp to the display. i.e PS3>605>1.3 TV. Personally i'd say if your TV isn't 1.3 (which the vast majority aren't) id save the money and buy an amp sooner rather than later.
  12. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    How will it benefit having having 1.3 all the way?

I thought the only picture difference from 1.2 - 1.3 was the 48bit deep colour (not supported on the PS3 and never will be due to processing constraints) and the vxYCC for more realistic colour both of which are dependant on the source encoding and arent standard on any format

Not been confrontational here just trying to seperate the hype over 1.3 from the facts

The lossless sound seems to the main benefit of 1.3
  13. ChristianBeccy

ChristianBeccy Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Knowing that I am only using a Sub/Sat system, albeit a fairly good one, should I worry about these improvements? Would I notice the difference?
  14. kevin_irl

kevin_irl Member

Ratings:
    +33
    When it comes to lossless sound, would you need really good, expensive speakers to really take advantage of it or would average price (say 500 -600 pound) speakers do the job ok?
  15. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,223
    That's OK, i didn't see your post as in any way confrontational.:thumbsup:
    In reply, i was using PS3 as an example of a 1.3 device. As it happens you've enlightened me as i hadn't realised PS3 wouldn't support deep colour. When you said it never will, was this an opinion or have Sony confirmed this? I fully accept that there is a lot of hype regarding this issue, it's just as i said before, i'm in no hurry to buy an amp and as i'm going to buy a 1.3 enabled TV soon it makes sense for me to wait. It's always been my thought that if you can future proof to the best of your knowledge, even if the use of a format is only optional, then it can't hurt. It's horses for courses.:)
  16. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Good question, as the amps that support 1.3 arent out yet so i dont know

You could try asking the question in the HD-DVD forum, i think the Tosh XE1 decodes the new audio codecs internally and exports them over 6 channel analogue LPCM so people who own an XE1 might be able to help clarify the difference

My thoughts on the matter is that DTS-MA and DTS-HD will make a difference on a decent-ish sub/sat system with a decent amp

I was looking at a 674 for a while and decided to wait until the 605/705 are out and read some reviews and hopefully get a demo on them before deciding

If superfi were to do the £299 deal again id seriously consider that but with the next gen onkyos offering so much more for only a small increase in price my advice is to wait
  17. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Looks like there were a few of us all set to get the 674. I missed the £299 price as well.:thumbsdow
  18. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Its an opinion but a supported one :) and is based on what little i know about computers

It comes down to processing power, the move from 24 to 48 bit colour doesnt mean doubling the processing power needed

24 bit colour = 3 colours (RGB) 8 bits per colour - 256 possible variations of each colour - 16.7 Million colours (256*256*256)

48 bit colour = 3 colours (RGB) 16 bits per colour - 65535 possible variations of each colour - lots and lots (65535*65535*65535)

Ive seen some TVs that support things like 10 bit processing (new samsungs) to increase the graduation of colours but nothing 48 bit, ive not seen any source material encoded in it either

With my PS3 ive already noticed some issues with the few 1080p encoded games there are atm so im inclined to think that it wouldnt be able to handle the massive processing requirements for 48bit colour

Ill readily admit to my lack of technical nous reagrding this and ill stand corrected but from the maths there is absolutely no point in having 1.3 on the PS3 as it wont use 48bit colour and doesnt support any of the new codecs that require 1.3, it would be perfectly fine with 1.2 its just marketting hype

There could be a firmware update in the future i suppose

As it stands ive got a 1.3 TV (40F71) and will be waiting for a 1.3 amp just for the future proofing aspect, im not convinced of the benefits of 1.3 for picture quality right now but ill readily admit the possibilites of deep colour and xvYCC in the future, right now the only benefit i see is for sound
  19. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Lol, same here, really wanted the black one but finally made up my mind to save the cash and get the silver only to find the deal had ended
  20. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Missed it as well though it is 340 now at one of the retailers
  21. egraphix

egraphix Member

Ratings:
    +23
    i was also going to get a 674 this week- but since the 605's are going to be out next month - i'd rather wait. reading a few threads here - i also got interested in the 705- but a release date for september is too long for me to wait.. :(
  22. pwilson5

pwilson5 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Just a quick post on things that I have read elsewhere

Blu-ray and HD-DVD are not capable of carrying 48 bit colour so the issue of HDMI v1.3 for new deep colour processing is a bit irrelevant.

I have just read the Onkyo 674 review in Home Cinema Choice issue 135 and they are stating output as 85W/ch with 5ch driven at 8 ohms and 100w/ch with 5 ch driven at 4 ohms, so I think the issue of old Onkyo amps not providing enough power has now been solved. It also gets a Best Buy rating which looks promising for the new range of amps!!

Hope that this info is of some use and here's waiting for the 605/705 to appear in shops soon!
  23. MarekM

MarekM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I am sure if 605 can do DTS HD MA and DolbyTruHD decoding,
    it will do DTS-HD and DD+, but yes we will know that for sure after first reviews :)

Marek
  24. richard plumb

richard plumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +881
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  25. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,223
    I do seem to remember Sony confirming 1.3 fairly late in the day. It certainly wasn't built from scratch with it in mind. The picture side of things improving is a possibilty and a chance like you i'm willing to take. The other feature that interests me (if it lives up to it) is the lip synching.
  26. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,275
    Based on richards post of specs for the 605, this dispels the fact that the 605 cannot decode dd+, as mentioned in gandleys post above. this can only be good news for the consumer!:clap:

one question which i would like answered though is. the 605 can decode dts master audio....does this mean it can decode every other dts variant below that codec...ie dts high resolution and normal dts, as correct me if im wrong..they are all hidden in the dts hd master audio track?:confused:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. AVdavid

AVdavid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The advantage of lossless sound is akin to the difference of CD quality sound to that of DVD audio or SACD if you can hear the difference with your speakers then you will certainly hear a difference with the new lossless sound formats

Dave
  28. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,223
    That's what i'd always thought, but i could easily be wrong.
    Can someone else confirm this?
  29. andyUK101

andyUK101 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Someone just posted a link to the 674 @ £299 in the other thread, Av-sales i think

Tempting at the price, possibly as a stopgap til the 705 is available in sept which is the one i really want
  30. Mark Botwright

Ratings:
    +1,223
    I saw it too. This doesn't make my decision any easier.:(