New Macbook - 14th October `08

I need a big HD... well I want one :)

curious why? if its for video stuff like using boxee, you could always stream off a NAS or USB drive attached to a time capsule or airport extreme?

I have surprisingly little space used up on my macbooks. Don't even have music stored locally. Usually listening in the house so its coming off a 750GB USB drive attached to my time capsule. If I'm out and about I have my ipod for that.

curious why? if its for video stuff like using boxee, you could always stream off a NAS or USB drive attached to a time capsule or airport extreme?

I have surprisingly little space used up on my macbooks. Don't even have music stored locally. Usually listening in the house so its coming off a 750GB USB drive attached to my time capsule. If I'm out and about I have my ipod for that.

That's one of the reasons I'm looking at a 60GB SSD. I don't really keep anything on the MacBook as it's all on the media server. I'm currently using 20GB of my HDD, and that's with a VMWare machine installed.

You get kudos for having your multimedia there and then, not at home on a box :p

Loving the Macbook. In danger of going into withdrawal symptoms over the lack of OS error messages :rotfl:

Unfortunately on my HP notebook, one of my partitions have disappeared and having exhausted everything on the software side it looks like its time for another reformat... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I like to have media to carry around with me like music and videos.

Just switched mine on from sleep at night, and no clicking... yet.

Took one more pic and added it to the photostream. Definitely waterproof. Went to wipe off the test water after taking the pic and it ran off onto my trousers :p

Just to emphasise it is only a sleeve which will protect against dust, water and light scratches. It does not however offer enough padding to protect against drops. It was still the sleeve for me in light of my new laptop bag

How are people finding the new Macbooks?

I've been lucky enough to get my Job in America which starts in July. A mate of mine may buy mu imac off me for £700. I can then either buy one here or as soon as i arrive in Florida. I would get one at the airport but i'd want the 4GB RAM.

The small screen worries me a little, but i guess that's the whole point of being portable. Would i be able to plug it into my 40'' HD LCD via HDMI and get 1:1 mapping

Its only 1280x800 pixels so actually everything is perfectly legible. I would argue manufacturers should stop being so stingy - Sony are one of the few that offers higher res. On their premium Z offerings there is 1600x900 res available
Do you have an Apple store nearby your planet?

And the Macbook has been fine. Been stressing it with converting the Friends DVDs so I have something to watch at uni :p

And I would buy it in America for the cost saving alone. Congratulations on getting the job

I've order one of these.

macbooksilverlinensleeve.jpg

They look to be a decent company - fast shipment and sleeves are good quality. I take it you saw my posts on the previous page? I did see "nicer" material sleeves but did not want to break £20 inc p+p :p

Nicer? Those sheep ones? :p

I'll get one soon.

So what apps are people using?
I have MS Office Student, boxee, Transmission (for torrents) so far.

Also incase you don't know, to quickly go through Spaces, press alt+tab quickly. If you hold on, it will bring up the applications scroller.
EDIT: Is there a quick way to scroll Spaces with the trackpad alone?

Also how can you get the bookmarks toolbar on Safari to display the web-bookmark icon only? Like firefox on windows/

Last edited:
for scrolling directly through spaces, multiclutch might enable you to do that with gestures.

I tend not to bother - all the open apps have icons on the dock so I just click those and it jumps to the right space. If I need to drag a file/window to another space, I can just drag it to the edge of the screen and it'll push to the next space

Spaces is cool though I am still working out the preferred keyboard shortcuts. At the moment I have shift+secondary mouse click to activate it

Nicer? Those sheep ones? :p

I'll get one soon.

So what apps are people using?
I have MS Office Student, boxee, Transmission (for torrents) so far.

Also incase you don't know, to quickly go through Spaces, press alt+tab quickly. If you hold on, it will bring up the applications scroller.
EDIT: Is there a quick way to scroll Spaces with the trackpad alone?

Also how can you get the bookmarks toolbar on Safari to display the web-bookmark icon only? Like firefox on windows/

I looked at getting MS office but decided openoffice 3.0 to be just as good as long as you dont need macros.

Mmmm.. I'm having doubts about the viewing angle, the vertical one.

I tried watching a TV show, and I was having a lot of trouble. Not sure what to do. I might try playing around with the video calibration.

There is nothing you can do about the viewing angle unless you feel confident enough to swap another one in

They look to be a decent company - fast shipment and sleeves are good quality. I take it you saw my posts on the previous page? I did see "nicer" material sleeves but did not want to break £20 inc p+p :p

Indeed I did. Be nice to have a case that isn't made of neoprene - it's going to be in the Crumpler Super Boomer that you recommended too. Should be more than enough protection.

As for the talk of viewing angles I prefer to have the screen tipped back at 10-15 degrees. Seems to improve the contrast for the position I sit.

Mmmm.. I'm having doubts about the viewing angle, the vertical one.

I tried watching a TV show, and I was having a lot of trouble. Not sure what to do. I might try playing around with the video calibration.

You had trouble watching a TV show while sat still with it on your lap? That doesn't sound good at all, I have never used a laptop where this would cause a problem? I can understand with people stood around you all trying to watch something.

I suspect ash was not looking at the screen on a level plane, hence the reference to the vertical viewing angle
But that is the nature of laptops. Both my Macbook and HP are at eye level. So is the monitor incidentally but if I wanted to move it I could with no repercussions :p

It was on my lap, and it was hard. Like near the top of the screen, the blacks seemed negative if you get what im saying. I tried many different ways :(
I'll try a few more times, and mess around with brightness etc.

Anyway, got the wireless keyboard from Apple Store today, £43 with student discount and its very good. I was worried it would be hard to type, but just fine.

It was on my lap, and it was hard. Like near the top of the screen, the blacks seemed negative if you get what im saying. I tried many different ways :(
I'll try a few more times, and mess around with brightness etc.

Anyway, got the wireless keyboard from Apple Store today, £43 with student discount and its very good. I was worried it would be hard to type, but just fine.

Think I'm going to get the missus to buy me the keyboard for Chrimbo.

How's your HDD now Ash? No clicking? What drive's in there?

Still the same HD, haven't had time to switch back to stock HD. The HD is a WD Scorpio 500GB model. I think the clicking has stopped, can't hear it anymore.

What about yours?

Still the same HD, haven't had time to switch back to stock HD. The HD is a WD Scorpio 500GB model. I think the clicking has stopped, can't hear it anymore.

What about yours?

Mine's still clicking away. Ordering either the 320GB Scorpio black or 60GB OCZ SSD today - not sure which yet ! I just want this clicking gone, and the only way I can be sure is the SSD.

The downside of low capacity is that if it's full-ish, the computer slows down I think.

Is the clicking bad? As in will it damage the HD, or crash soon. As I think I could live with it... maybe.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom