New Macbook - 14th October `08

Submitted mine this morning via recorded delivery alongside LPC application

Post code has changed slightly but the post office should help you out there

Shame about cutting into the Macbook box... but the key is that the barcode is on an outer layer of cardboard and so you do not have a hole if you do it right :p

Legal Practice Course

I have my brightness somewhere from 55%~60%. Cannot be sure :p 100% is retina-burning at first but its too damn battery consuming to keep

Be sure to calibrate your battery if you have not already to ensure you have correct battery readings...

Legal Practice Course

I have my brightness somewhere from 55%~60%. Cannot be sure :p 100% is retina-burning at first but its too damn battery consuming to keep

Be sure to calibrate your battery if you have not already to ensure you have correct battery readings...

Tell me how to calibrate battery as well please, if you don't mind.

Thanks, but I'll Google it first lol

EDIT: I use the 2nd guide here right? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Last edited:
Got my rebate cheque today. Not bad only sent it away 10 days ago.

I managed to do what LFC did with the macbook box just have to be careful with a stanley knife:D

I managed to do what LFC did with the macbook box just have to be careful with a stanley knife:D

My label just peeled off, though the one for the iPod was much harder to peel.

Tried peeling but the sticker started ripping :rolleyes: You would think Apple would have the foresight to make it easier than for customers having to desecrate their lovely mac boxes :p

What receipt do I need to send it, I'm a bit confused. Is it the shipping letter that comes on the side of the box, or a printout of the online invoice.

And then it's just EAN of the MB and iPod.

Thanks

Having fun on the MB lol.
What do you do if it freezes? I installed Boxee, and now that opens instead of Front Row with the remote, and I can't reset this. And Boxee just messes up the Mac, I had to shut it down :lease:

What receipt do I need to send it, I'm a bit confused. Is it the shipping letter that comes on the side of the box, or a printout of the online invoice.

And then it's just EAN of the MB and iPod.

Thanks

Having fun on the MB lol.
What do you do if it freezes? I installed Boxee, and now that opens instead of Front Row with the remote, and I can't reset this. And Boxee just messes up the Mac, I had to shut it down :lease:

Invoice and the two labels as well as the rebate sheet that you print off. Thats what i assume as mine was bought from teh shop so instead of invoice a duplicate receipt.

I can't believe no-one's getting the HDD clicking like me ! Seems to be loads about it on forums including the Apple support ones. Seems it's Leopard being a bit keen with the power saving options. There's a workaround thank God.

What issue and what workaround?

My MB is fine - despite my best attempts to kill the CPU stressing it with Handbrake sessions :devil:

No clicking here. What size HD you got? I had the stock 160GB, replaced with 500GB one which makes no sound.

Guys check out Boxee, bloody great! Connected to my 24" monitor and it works just great. Where do the TV shows come from??? Also, if you want an invite, just ask. I think I can give them out :)

What issue and what workaround?

My MB is fine - despite my best attempts to kill the CPU stressing it with Handbrake sessions :devil:

I'm using the stock Fujitsu 160GB drive, but it appears to be independent of the drive. It's basically the HDD heads parking, but for some reason OSX seems to be a bit keen, so it's parking the heads all the time, which when you can hear it gets a bit annoying.

The fix is an app that tells OSX to run the drives in max. performance mode, to stop it from trying to safe power etc by parking the heads.

I'm using the stock Fujitsu 160GB drive, but it appears to be independent of the drive. It's basically the HDD heads parking, but for some reason OSX seems to be a bit keen, so it's parking the heads all the time, which when you can hear it gets a bit annoying.

The fix is an app that tells OSX to run the drives in max. performance mode, to stop it from trying to safe power etc by parking the heads.

Noooo! It's happening to me. I read on MacRumours, no one hears it at first, but after some time it happens. Yesterday when I installed my 500GB hard drive, I didn't hear it. Now I do :(

I might put in my 160GB HD tomorrow and see if it does the same.

Does this constant parking do any damage to the HD?

Noooo! It's happening to me. I read on MacRumours, no one hears it at first, but after some time it happens. Yesterday when I installed my 500GB hard drive, I didn't hear it. Now I do :(

I might put in my 160GB HD tomorrow and see if it does the same.

Does this constant parking do any damage to the HD?

I get the impression this is something that they all do, and not everyone notices.

It's debatable as to whether it does any harm or not. It's more the constant click every few seconds that annoys me.

I get the impression this is something that they all do, and not everyone notices.

It's debatable as to whether it does any harm or not. It's more the constant click every few seconds that annoys me.

It's annoying!
The thing is, I'm pretty sure I didn't hear it before...

You think I should get my HD returned which I got form BT Shop? I don't really want to go through RMA route, as it will be hard to prove? But I am under 14 days... so so I can just return it anyway?

It's annoying!
The thing is, I'm pretty sure I didn't hear it before...

You think I should get my HD returned which I got form BT Shop? I don't really want to go through RMA route, as it will be hard to prove? But I am under 14 days... so so I can just return it anyway?

I'd try putting your original drive in and see what you can hear first. I suspect we're both going to always hear this unless we do the power management fix - once you've heard it I suspect you'll always hear it.

My old last en Mac Book Pro does it. It has never harmed the drive in the year I've had it. I think it's part of the sudden movement sensor? Apple invented it so it wouldn't surprise me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom