Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New install HomeHub 2.0 - Broadband light flashing orange (I've never seen it blue!)

Discussion in 'BT' started by ajmuir, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ajmuir

ajmuir Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everyone,

I'm installing a Home Hub 2.0 for a family friend who lives out in the sticks. BT say they would get a connection of around 0.7Mbps, which is pretty dire, but for what they will use it for - it will do. Both neighbours (either side) are also on BT Broadband. I went to install the Home Hub 2.0 on Saturday after the line had been activated and confirmed Friday (midnight). I plugged it all in, but the broadband light NEVER turns blue...it just flashes orange.

Subsequently when I try to connect to it using my laptop I only see the fault finding pages being served by the router itself. I have not installed any of the BT software, but assume that I do not need to do this - the user guide says to wait for the blue light anyway? I have done all the normal fault finding stuff, tried it as the ONLY thing plugged in, in the house - on every socket...same thing. I have been round the houses with BT support. The 1st call with them, they ran a line test and found a fault - said they'd fix within 48hrs or send a engineer out. The 2nd time I phoned they couldn't see any fault.

I've just phoned them again and my 1st support call is still open with them, this time he said that they will arrange for an engineer - again! I'm just wonder if I am doing anything wrong, or if there is any background knowledge that I could impart to speed things along a bit? Any ideas of what this could be, after checking numerous times - the line is activated. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Is this BT fault or mine/internal wiring?
  2. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    It is actually quite difficult to do it wrong. Plug the router into the BT Master Socket via a micro filter and add power. All the lights will flash and turn blue. If the Internet light does not turn blue then you do not have an ADSL connection.

As the line is obviously very long, you need to ensure that the Internal Wiring is good. Start by removing the Faceplate of the Master Socket. If you find another socket underneath (the Test Socket) connect via that and reboot the Home Hub. If that works you have bad internal wiring. If not its BT's wiring at fault and you need to wait for Openreach.

You were quite right not to use the Installation CD. Waste of time and disk space.
  3. Davy

Davy Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry this is not going to help you at all, but I agree with the last post, there is not a lot that you can do wrong. I've just (a matter of a couple of hours ago in fact), set up my elderly neighbours BT Home Hub 2 internet connection, and it went along effortlessly. I suspect it is either a faulty hub or the internal wiring of the house. Wait for the engineer. Frustrating I know!
  4. ajmuir

ajmuir Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Cool, thanks guys - that's actually reassuring. The BT line fault department still haven't arranged date for an engineer visit (3 days now, after promising each day that someone would ring). Not brilliant service, but on the bright side a (non-BT) Telecom guys is going around on Thursday to check out the internals.