Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New house - Sky dish but cant get freeview to work?

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by 1ntense, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 1ntense

1ntense Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ive just moved into a new house which has a sky dish, the cable coming out the wall if Im not mistaken is called an rf connection. There is also a white box with 2 female looking connections, one of which I have an rf connector with just the bare wire going into and a normal ariel connection going into the back of my tv, I can get the terrestrial channels this way but not freeview. I tried getting a female plug to go into the rf connector coming out the wall then a male to male ariel lead from that to the tv but again no freeview.

Anyone know whats going on?
  2. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I assume that you have a TV with a built-in Freeview tuner, in which case you should be able to receive the Freeview channels.
    Have you followed the instructions for digital tuning on your TV?

If the TV doesn't have Freeview do you have a separate receiver?

The dish, BTW, has nothing to do with your problem.
    A dish feeds a satellite receiver, an aerial is needed for Freeview

And, what's do you mean by "...with just the bare wire going into...."??
    No plug/connector?:eek:
  3. 1ntense

1ntense Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, my tv has a built in freeview tuner. So I cant get freeview through a sky dish without a box then no?

If thats the case, can I just get a STB, ie a cheap one and not a sky box?
  4. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    You could get a Freesat SD or HD box for very little money these days and a SKY box with or without smartcard for SKY3, Fiver and FiveUS for not much more, dirt cheap if you buy used.

There are channels on Freeview you may want that require a subscription on SKY (Dave, Virgin1 etc) so pricing up a suitable aerial may be worth it unless you have reception issues which won't be solved until your area goes 100% digital.
  5. 1ntense

1ntense Member

Ratings:
    +7
    What would you recommend Starburst?

So with a freesat box, I could get HD channels with the sky dish Ive got?

If so how much are we talking for one?

Am I right in thinking that any box, a cheap STB or second hand Sky box will give me freeview channels in combination with the Sky dish?
  6. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    NO that's not what I said.
    You can't get FreeVIEW with a Sky box/dish as that is a terrestrial (through an aerial) service.
    With a Sky box and no subscription you can get FreeSAT through a dish
    however
    as your TV has a built in Freeview tuner there is no need for a separate Freeview box.

The terms tend to be confusing:
    Freeview - through an aerial
    Freesat - through a dish
    FreesatfromSky - through a dish

The options for satellite reception have been explained by Starburst
  7. 1ntense

1ntense Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry mate but your post doesnt make sense to me.

OK, as far as Im aware, I dont have an external aerial. Therefor to get Freeview, I would either need an aerial or a Freesat box, correct?

I would like to get free HD channels (Freesat?) therefor a Freesat box sounds like a good option, would said box also give me the ability to watch Freeview channels through my Sky dish?

So if I understand correctly, I can either..

- get a Freesat box, connect dish cable to that and cable from box to TV, giving me free HD channels and hopefully Freeview

- get an external aerial fitted (sounds expensive) then get Freeview through my integrated tuner in my TV

- get a Freeview box, connect dish cable into that and cable from box to TV? (not sure about that one)

- get Skys pay once watch forever Freeview deal (not sure if that would be needed if I already have a dish)

- get Sky HD subscription

Someone please correct me if Im wrong on any of those.
  8. N.Dean

N.Dean Member

Ratings:
    +18
    "OK, as far as Im aware, I dont have an external aerial. Therefor to get Freeview, I would either need an aerial or a Freesat box, correct?"
    No. You can't get Freeview through a dish. It's a terestrial service. Some of the channels which are on Freeivew are also available on satellite TV, though.

"I would like to get free HD channels (Freesat?) therefor a Freesat box sounds like a good option, would said box also give me the ability to watch Freeview channels through my Sky dish?"
    No. You can't get Freeview through a dish. It's a terestrial service. Some of the channels which are on Freeivew are also available on satellite TV, though.
  9. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
  10. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,480
    You are wrong on almost all of those. As I'm sure you well know.

Are you doing this on purpose? You have been told several times that you can't get Freeview from a satellite dish, and you can't get Freesat from a TV aerial. So why do you keep mentioning both in the same sentence. It can't be done. Okay?
  11. 1ntense

1ntense Member

Ratings:
    +7
    LOL Im aware that I cant get Freeview without installing an external aerial now, I thought that if I got a Freesat box that I may be able to get some free channels, think I mistakenly called those channels Freeview.

Im on here to ask questions as I dont know anything about Sky, Freesat or Freeview. Dont think there is any point in being rude about it but if it makes you feel clever then my advice is to get a life, why post in my thread in the first place if you havent got anything constructive to say?

I got a new TV a while ago and was quite disappointed when I couldnt get Freeview to work. I wanted the Freeview guide to work but it obviously didnt what with not having an external aerial.

I just moved into a new house and thought that having a Sky dish would enable me to be able to watch Freeview but apparently not.

My next question is does it make a difference if I buy a Freesat box or a second hand Sky (Pace) box as to which channels I'll get?

Also does anyone have any recommendations on which box to purchase or are they all pretty much the same?

PS Im not too fussed about recording facilities.

Thanks in advance

Danny
  12. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037

In terms of the SD channels no although the SKY box will have more channels on it's EPG compared to the Freesat box but you can manually add any of the others.
    One difference is that there are still three SD channels that are free but encrypted using SKY's system so you need a £20 freesatfromsky card to watch SKY3, Fiver and FiveUS on satellite (all three of them are on the Freeview terrestrial system).

You could consider freesatfromsky PayOnceWatchForever which for £73.40 gets you a brand new SKY box, smartcard and new dish fully fitted and free PAY channels for 4 months. That aside I would probably lean towards a Freesat box rather than a used SKY box unless the three channels mentioned are important to you.

I think the three SD Freesat boxes are all based on the same basic model so no real difference, same for SKY as well.
  13. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,225
    1ntense - you have my support. The earlier post to which I presume you refer was quite uncalled for. Request to all others - if you can't (or won't) help, don't post.