Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hard Drive Swap for Humax Foxsat HDR - PRICES UP!

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by roger17x, Oct 23, 2011.

1. roger17x

roger17x Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I'm looking to replace my 320GB HD with a new 1TB hard drive in the Humax Foxsat HDR. With the higher prices in HDs rocketing I'm looking at the Western Digital WD10EARX Product List at around the £50 mark. Any ideas if this the right type of hard drive for the job?
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +400
    An AV drive would be better - WD AV-GP ( WD10EURS).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Mike02

Mike02 Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Hi Roger

Not sure about the hard drive you mention above - It might be OK.

Here's a list suitable hard drives:
    Western Digital 1Tb WD10EVCS Western Digital 1Tb WD10EADS - replaces the EACS Western Digital 1Tb WD10EVVS - designed for AV Western Digital 1Tb WD10EVDS - designed for AV, large 32M cache Samsung Spinpoint 1Tb F1 HD103UJ Samsung Spinpoint 1Tb F1 HD103SI Seagate 1Tb Barracuda ST31000340AS Seagate 1Tb Pipeline HD ST31000533CS Other makes and models may work with this receiver, though those mentioned above have been tried and tested
    Freesat+ Hard Drive Upgrade

Mike
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. roger17x

roger17x Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for all your replies and pointing me in the right direction.
  5. deezel

deezel Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I noticed the rise in prices so I've taken a chance on a WD10EUCX also described as WD AV-GP from amazon. in the blurb at amazon it says ideal for pvr's

It came out at £51.00 approx free delivery.

I'll let you know how it works out
  6. jlearmonth

jlearmonth Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Do you really need to change the internal drive.
    1) I use an external caddy wich allows me to change drives and copy stuff to PC.
    2) The media server bundle has FTP so you can send stuff to and fro relativly quickly.
    JL
  7. avie9

avie9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I presume that the reason Mike02 didn’t include the WD10EURS and WD10EUCX in his recommendations above was because, unlike the frequently recommended WD10EVDS, they both use WD’s Advanced Format.
  8. deezel

deezel Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Fitted the new Hard drive today and all seems well.

formatted fine, recorded and playback no problems
  9. caldirun

caldirun Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Drive not available, why would an AV drive be better?
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +400
    An AV drive is a low power drive designed device designed for continuous use by multiple processes. A PC drive is designed for occasional use.

If you think of while it's on the timeslip buffer is constantly written for 6-8 hours a day and you can be recording up two other programmes as well on the HDR.

That said the most critical aspect is the power consumption.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  11. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +564
    Indeed that and heat generation though that probably isn't a big issue now adays, the rest is marketing BS.... A PC can easily thrash a HD more than a PVR depending how you use it.
  12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,104
    PC drives have built in error correction routines. A PC drive may appear to work fine when new, after a while the error checking can delay read/write operations as the platters get a bit less reliable. Pvrs are designed to work with a continous data stream and can't cope with the error checking kicking in. The odd wrong bit in a data read operation on a pvr is not that important so AV (CE type) drives don't have error checking routines.
  13. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +564
    Have you actually seen this happen or is that all theory?
  14. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,104
    It's not theory. A few PC drives you can turn off error checking using a firmware mod from the drive makers. There's a thread in another place from a user with a PC drive having a corrupted timeshift buffer file (0.ts) that causes the hdr to reboot after 3 hrs of recording (about 12months old if I remember correctly). In this case renaming the 0.ts file effectively locked out the faulty sector(s) and it's now working again (but for how long ?). Why would pvr makers specify Consumer Electronics drives if any old PC one will do the job reliably over an extended period ?. The price difference is quite small so personally I would always use a AV specified design.
  15. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO Member

Ratings:
    +24
    My recent experience would support glt's opinion (and highlight the hd price increases in the last few months):

http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...-hd-channels-locking-box-up.html#post15680939
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  16. caldirun

caldirun Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I fitted a Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB just under 3 years ago, it has not missed a beat, I think it is marketing BS also
  17. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,104
    Really - a two second Google search found this info. There's doubtless a lot more info out there. :eek:

compatible hard drives | BT Vision User
  18. caldirun

caldirun Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Its not really fair to comment on something you have no experience of, I have tried a PC drive over an extended period and these are my findings.
    You can Google for any false information you care to!
  19. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,104
    You have experience of precisely one drive. Over the years I have replaced pvr drives in a Topfield 5800, a Humax 8000 and used two interchangeable drives in a Foxsat-hdr (the original drives were without exception CE types). Why would a website not selling any drives, presumably without any axe to grind especially as at the time the price differential was tiny recommend a purpose designed replacement ?. As it happened a poster in another place has bought a foxsat-hdr from a dealer who has upgraded the internal drive and now has similar problems. Did the dealer use a PC drive ?

I leave it to the common sense of readers to judge which is the more sensible approach :eek:

Basically based on you getting away with a specific drive you reckon any PC drive will work identically.

Try this advice for Sky+ HDD replacement HDD's

http://www.astra2d.com/sky 2.html
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  20. caldirun

caldirun Member

Ratings:
    +17
    You assume too much, I have fitted a 1TB drive in my other Foxsat and a 2 TB drive in my WDLiveTV, both PC drives, no problems so far!
    I did fit a 1 TB PC drive in my PC and it died after a year, maybe I should follow your logic and fit a CE type?:devil:
  21. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,104
    As you well know that's the exact opposite of my postings. CE drives are entirely unsuitable for critical data storage. Keep Up :D
  22. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +400
    The drive manufactures seem to have the PVR makers convinced.
    Here is what Segate think are the features of their AV drives:

Tuned to balance high-performance with low power consumption, Pipeline HD drives can support a minimum of 10 simultaneous streams of HD content
    Eco-friendly, best-in-class power performance is easy on the environment while also enabling strict energy conservation programs such as Energy Star
    Seagate SoftSonic™ motor technology enables years of ultra-quiet, worry-free operation with acoustic performance as low as 1.9bels
    Designed for cool, quiet, worry-free, 24x7 operation 365 days a year. Always on, always reliable.
  23. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO Member

Ratings:
    +24
    You may have been lucky with your drives but unfortunately I live in a NON Freeview postcode area (hopefully rectified in March 2012) so my Spinpoint drive has really taken a hammering since I installed it 1 year ago.

I don't have any alternative atm other that recording up to 2 HD/SD progs simultaneously while watching another, unless I go back to the analogue fog, so maybe my 1TB drive has had to perform a more intensive regime than other users
    I have to use the CHxx+1 facility all the time to avoid schedule clashes

Since I've "locked up" the bad drive sectors by not deleting faulty recordings, once again I appear to have solved the problem

Or maybe I've just purchased a faulty drive :(
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011