1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*NEW* Dreambox DM800HD se

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by TUT, Sep 1, 2010.

1. TUT

TUT Member

Ratings:
    +88
    The latest receiver the Dreambox DM800HD se from Dream Multimedia is out on sale for about 500 Euros (too bloody expensive)

[​IMG]

- 400 MHz MIPS Processor
    - Linux Operating System
    - OLED - Display
    - MPEG-2 / H.264 Hardware decoding
    - Tuner: DVB-S, optional: DVB-C, DVB-T
    - Tuner Module, Plug&Play
    - 1 x Smartcard-Reader
    - V.24/RS232 Interface
    - 10/100Mbit Ethernet Interface
    - 1 x Scart (RGB, FBAS or S-Video)
    - DVI
    - 2 x USB 2.0
    - analog modem
    - S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)
    - 64 MByte Flash, 256 MByte RAM
    - SATA
    - for use either as internal SATA HDD 2,5?
    - or to use for extern eSATA
    - unlimited channel lists for TV/Radio
    - channel-change time < 1 second
    - automatic service scan
    - directly bouquet-lists
    - EPG (electronic program guide)
    - multiple LNB-Switching control (supports DiSEqC)
    - OSD in many languages and skin-support
    - Videotext Decoder
    - extern 12V power supply
    DreamBox DM800 SE technical data

DBS-Tuner mit DVB-S2:
    Frequency Range 950 .... 2150 MHz
    Demodulation DVB-S (QPSK); DVB-S2 (8PSK,QPSK)
    Symbol rate DVB-S: 2 ... 45 Mbaud/s, SCPC/ MCPC
    DVB-S2: 10 ? 31 Mbaud/s (8PSK) , 10 ?30 Mbaud/s (QPSK)
    Video decoder:
    Video Compression MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 compatible, H.246
    Video Formats 4:3 / 16:9
    Letterbox for 4:3 TV-Device
    Audio decoder:
    Audiokompression MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Layer I and II, MP3
    Audio Mode Dual (main/sub), Stereo
    Frequency: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz

Output analog:
    Output Level L/R 0,5 Vss on 600 Ohm
    THD > 60 dB (1 kHz)
    Crosstalk < -65 dB

Output digital:
    Output Level 0,5 Vss on 75 Ohm
    Sampled Data Filtering 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
    S/PDIF-Output optical, Toslink
    Ausgang Video:
    Ausgangspegel FBAS 1 Vss +/- 0.3 dB an 75 Ohm
    Video parameter:
    Input Level FBAS 1 Vss +/- 0.3 dB on 75 Ohm
    Teletext filter in conformity with ETS 300 472 Standard
    TV-Scart:
    Output: FBAS, RGB, S-Video
    Serielle Interface RS 232:
    Typ RS232 bidirectional
    Bitrate 115,2 kBit/s max.
    Plug Connector SUB-D-9
    Function: Update of Firmware
    Ethernet:
    10/100 MBit compatible interface
    Function: Update of Firmware
    Analoge modem:
    analoge modem for Internet connection
    SATA Interface:
    - for use either as internal HDD 2,5? or eSATAor internal 2,5" HDD

USB
    2 x USB 2.0 Host
    LNB power and polarisation per tuner:
    LNB Current 500mA max.; short-circuit-protected
    LNB Voltage vertical < 14V no load, > 11,5V at 400mA
    LNB Voltage horizontal < 20V no load, > 17,3V at 400mA

Count of active satellite position:
    DiSEqC 1.0/1.2 SAT POSITION / SAT OPTION
    DiSEqC - Rotor Control
    Power consumption:< 15W at 12V
    External PSU
    Input:
    110-240V AC / 50-60Hz / 0,6A
    Output:
    12V = / 3,0APhysical specification:Ambient Temperature +15°C...+35°C
    Humidity < 80%
    Size (W x D x H):195 mm x 140 mm x 40 mm

I also heared that the new DM7020HD will be out in October 2010

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still think that the VU+ DUO is a better deal and Excellent value for money
  2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Totally agree. My DM800 has been moved to one of the bedrooms since my Vu+Duo arrived - better build, better quality, better performance.
  3. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Ratings:
    +68
    nice but not at that price, I'd rather have a VU+duo or solo.
  4. Neophasis

Neophasis Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The new dreamboxes looks really ugly.
  5. PAUL7331

PAUL7331 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    More exspensive than the v+duo so no point buying this box at all.
  6. shumifan50

shumifan50 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    :DI have been unofficially informed that a twin tuner (single board) will be available for the DM800se. This will actually make it quite competitively priced while still retaining the tiny footprint. So let's wait and see if the twin tuner card becomes available. This unit fixes all the shortcomngs of the DM800HD:
    1. CPU upgrade to 400MHz
    2. Cooling fan
    3. Additional card reader
    4. Twin tuner ????????
    and improves on the DM500HD with:
    1. USB connecivity
    2. Internal hard disk

So I dont think it must be confused with the old DM800HD - I hope to get a unit to test in the near future and will post results when I have done the tests.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  7. Oily

Oily Member

Ratings:
    +87
    I'll wait till the twin tuner 800se clone comes out ;)
  8. Paul D

Paul D Active Member

Ratings:
    +348
    I just don't get the price hike for these Dreamboxes.
    I could understand people buying if they where super reliable/super stable.
    I could understand if they where more technically advanced than any other box.

The only attraction i can see is there is a lot of people who have the older boxes, so are familiar with them and therefore a lot of support/software is available.

Before anybody thinks i'm a DUO/SOLO fan boy please remember a few months a go i hadn't decided to go either way.
    I actually had my mind set on a Dreambox 500HD.
    As it is, you can get virtually everything running on the very reliable DUO/SOLO that runs on the dreambox, so i'm at a loss to what attracts people to pay more for less?

I can actually see a point going for a clone, as you are at least saving some cash...
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  9. Dave E

Dave E Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Totally agree. (Apart form the clone bit - they dont work!)

The VU kicks the DM's butt in my opinion. Leaving aside potential issues around size, prettiness (who cares), heat and number of tuners, the VU's speed makes it a useable box without feeling the need to whizz the remote at the wall in frustration.

All DM have done with this is up the speed and spec to that of the VU. You have to wonder if its because of the VU? But then they whop a price hike on it for good measure. Genius's ! :rolleyes:
  10. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker Member

Ratings:
    +152
    im sure it will contain some tricks to thwart the cloners. If DM had any sence they should price the 800's @ £300 max. I'll never buy a genuine box of therse @ crazy prices
  11. PAUL7331

PAUL7331 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Agreed, the VU+ is just so much better than the equivalent dm500 and dm800 for the price.
  12. TUT

TUT Member

Ratings:
    +88
    I hope someone can give us a review of the DM800HD se soon
  13. proteas

proteas Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I've ordered the 800 HD se from SMSSAT last week and still waiting for delivery. They now claim it will be with me next week Wednesday.

I know that company in Germany had issues with the launch of this receiver (delayed a couple of times) but has anybody got their hands on one? I hope the company is not feeding me with b******t (allegedly delays with customs). :(
  14. shumifan50

shumifan50 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I have just received a DM800HDse from SMS Satellites and hope to test it in the next few days. This is still a single tuner version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  15. proteas

proteas Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Shumifan - How long ago did you order this from SMS SAT?
  16. shumifan50

shumifan50 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Many moons ago when the first rumours of the "new" DM800 first surfaced. I believe they have some stock now, so your should be with you soon. The build quality is very good at a glance (no flimsy bits) and the tuner is swapable - waiting with great anticipation. Still havent received my hard drive from scan - should be tomorrow, then I can test properly. I am sure this will be a good box as it has basically the same features as the 500HD and that is great - no crashes and no problems recording or responding to the remote (unlike the old DM800HD).
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  17. proteas

proteas Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Shumifan - So all in all a great improvement...I also like the idea of the swapable tuner, which means that once they make a twin tuner (single card) that should be easy to install. I am also waiting for the delivery of a 500GB HD (Seagate ST9500420AS Momentus 7200.4 500GB 16MB 2.5'' SATA 3Gb/s NCQ). Which one did you go for and any issues that you are aware off with the hard drives?

Cheers
  18. Dave E

Dave E Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Is SMSSAT (smssat.boz??) the same as SMS (dreamboxshop)?
    ie, are you guys talking about the same place (the one Shumifan uses is obviously UK authorised dealer).
    Anyway...

Schumifan, is there any difference? Its hard to ask questions like that without coming across as 'fanboyish' of one particular reciever... but its natural to compare it with its rival(s)

Other than adding a fan, is the only real difference a faster processor? Its bonkers to pay for a single tuner box, then pay again to make it twin tuner?? :facepalm:

I'm looking for something to make this release; a) make sense b) come close in terms of value to the VU...

at the moment I'm struggling :blush:
  19. shumifan50

shumifan50 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I am not paticularly a 'fanboy' of Dreambox; like others I would like to have seen lower prices. However, I have burnt my fingers in the past with receivers that promised much and delivered very little (e.g. Technomate TM9100). Dream has been around for many years and have lead the innovation of the Linux Sat receivers. We know they will still be around for many years. They provide good support and have many teams producing images for their boxes. Do we know that VU will still be around in 5 years time - I guess not, but I will put money on Dream being around.
    Making sense of the DM800HDse:
    1. The higher speed processor will make a huge difference to the stability of the box. I have a DM800 that I rarely use as pushing remote control buttons too fast will cause it to crash. I also have a 500HD and that never crashes (faster CPU).
    2. a big justification will be a dual tuner single card as this will make it much more cost-effective. I believe it will be possible to buy the box witht the dual tuner rather than the single and then upgrading.
    3. The slight increase in size and the builtin fan and hard disk will reduce overheating problems, while retaining a very small footprint.
    4. And it has 2 x USB connectors (excluding the service USB) giving it an edge over the DM500HD and of course it has a display, which can make firmware updates easier as it is possible to get the IP for the box from the display during flashing.

@proteas. Unlike for PCs I would normally not use 7200rpm drives in AV devices. They don't require that level of speed and the lower the rpm, the quieter and cooler the drive, which is what you need in AV applications, So I went for a 500GB spinpoint with 32MB of cache 5400rpm. I am not in a position to comment about drives in the 800se as I have not fitted one yet. I do know that the 500HD is a little picky about eSata connected external drives and the enclosure you use can make it work or fail. I would be surprised if SATA connected drives have any issues.

I will give a write-up as soon as I have completed my testing. All images are still beta, so stability might be an issue (as could be drivers for the dual tuner).
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  20. proteas

proteas Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Dave - I think we are talking about the same place.... SMS which according to dreambox Germany they are one of the three authorised dealers in the UK....

Shumifan - thanks for the comments on the hard drive.
  21. shumifan50

shumifan50 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    @Dave: yes, we are talking about the same company.
    @proteas: have you received your box? I am friends with the owner of SMS and he asured me all orders were sent yesterday for delivery before 12h00 today. If you have not received it, PM me your details and I will chase it (I live near the shop in Camberley). Their shipment arrived yesterday afternoon and I went and collected mine immediately.

Sadly the one thing I was hoping they would have added to this box is PIP (Picture-in-Picture), but the hardware is omitted; there is only one demux/decoder so only one TV stream can be decoded at a time, making PIP impossible (as with the VU ).
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  22. proteas

proteas Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Shumifan - When I spoke to them last week they said '100% I will have my box delivered by Wednesday'. The issue I have is that they said the same thing 2 weeks ago! If you could ping an email to your mate to confirm that they have sent it to me I would be grateful. I will PM my details. Many thanks.
  23. shumifan50

shumifan50 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I have PM you the tracking details. Delivery was attempted at 11h05 and a card left by Royal mail special delivery. You have to rearrange delivery with Royal mail (can be done online).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. proteas

proteas Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks Shumifan. Royal Mail tried to deliver the box yesterday and left their calling card. My wife should be picking this up today. I also received a call from Mr SMS Sat himself (Zak?) to see if I've received the box...nice gesture and good to know that there are companies out there that care about their customers, SMS Sat included. :smashin:

I will post my impressions when I give it a once over........

Cheers
  25. TUT

TUT Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks shumifan for the photo and the info you have supplied, waiting eagerly for your review in particular picture quality in SD and HD .

Many Thanks
  26. shumifan50

shumifan50 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Attached an overview of the DM800se. I had to delete the images in the document to get it small enough to upload.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  27. TUT

TUT Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Thank you very much for this review
  28. simont33

simont33 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Shumifan,
    Great review just was I was looking for!

Thanks
  29. zag2me

zag2me Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Just got one of these, they are cheap on ebay now the clones have come out. Less than £200 which was a bargain.

Seems to work well although my Harmony 1 is a bit slow reacting for some reason.
  30. shumifan50

shumifan50 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Beware of clones: Some images will 'brick' them and they invariably need a custom second stage loader to bypass authenticity checks in the Dreambox supplied second stage loader. So check before you flash with ANY new image.

Past experience with clones also seemed to indicate substandard quality components being used resulting in all sorts of hardware failures, so just beware.

Personally I think the DM800se is overpriced and although it is a nice STB I will not buy one - I have a DM500HD that is very similar in features.