New car lead times

Hah my Q5 is also awaiting transportation although I've been promised next week. At least it being built provides me with some relief...

Popped in the dealer a few days ago to sign the papers. Looked at a copy of the order form and realised I actually went a bit crazy on the options, still it should be nice!

I'd be interested to hear how you find your Q5 - this is the preferred route for my wife's next car to replace her current A3 Sportback.

I had heard that in 2011 this might be available with the 3.0T Petrol engine from the S4, albeit slightly detuned, as in the new A7.

Sounds like it might be fun...!
:thumbsup:
Sidicks

Interesting reading guys. In summary I can tell you the situation is identical in Australia.
The GTD Gold was only launched here end of June so I test drove one immediately and ordered a well spec'd up one so had to be custom built (as opposed to one of the stock vehicles VW Australia had pre-ordered).
I was advised I could "alter" one of the VW pre-orders as it hadn't entered production but was in the queue. Outcome was car ordered in May would be delivered in October (bear in mind 4 weeks on the water to Aus). Anyway I could just about tolerate this but then in August was told it would be December at best.
Anyway cancelled the order and got a Passat CC immediately as it was ex stock - in fact got a good deal. More than happy and not mich difference in price as the CC had everything standard which we wanted as options on the Golf.
Different car sure but just as pleasurable in different ways - at least we'll see at Christmas when we have a little 4000km drive!

That is some wait! How customised was it?

It has a fair number of options, but nothing whacky. The main reason for the delay is that VW managed to "lose" the order in May/June, so they had to re-order the car in early July. They don't make huge numbers of GTDs and there was a shortage of automatic gearboxes which didn't help. The car was built in late September, and then there was a period of a couple of weeks where it was in purgatory somewhere, waiting to get on a boat and then to the dealer. You get a build week, and you then just wait for it to turn up at the dealer, which in my case has taken four weeks.

As for cancelling, there was nothing else that took my fancy. And I can't cancel now as I'm picking it up (finally) this afternoon!

The worst thing by far has been the lack of communication from the dealer. They make promises to phone that they don't keep, which means I have had to do a lot of chasing myself. VW UK doesn't care in the slightest. They give the impression that franchised dealers can basically do whatever they want, and VW can't intervene. Which is nonsense, but that's the line they like to give. I only got somewhere by writing stroppy letters to VW's managing director and various people at the dealer and the dealer's parent company, and even after all that, it's been far from plain sailing. If I'd have known what was going to happen, I would have gone to a different dealer. Quite which one I would have chosen is another topic entirely, as all of the ones near me are atrocious.

How long after ordering a factory build can you expect a build date from your dealer?

My order for a VW went in last week.

You should get a projected build date before you order.
You should get a confirmed (approximate) build date/delivery date within a week or so, max.

Last edited:
You should get a projected build date before you order.
You should get a confirmed (approximate) build date/delivery date within a week or so, max.

Okay thanks.

Received a projected date prior to order.

Will chase them for a confirmed date

my 3 are unconfirmed for week 2, which means they keep slipping back. I won't believe ours are built until i can drive one of them :)

Just got an update - Week 50 for me :)

Anyone know where teh Scirocco's are built? And how long it should take assuming it starts on time?

Anyone know where teh Scirocco's are built?

Going by the new one on our fleet, Disneyland.:mad:

(We took delivery of a 1,4tsi Scirocco two months ago, and it's been very unreliable).

I'm sure yours will be fine though.

Going by the new one on our fleet, Disneyland.:mad:

(We took delivery of a 1,4tsi Scirocco two months ago, and it's been very unreliable).

I'm sure yours will be fine though.

:rolleyes: is that the 122ish bhp one?

:rolleyes: is that the 122ish bhp one?

160bhp version.

Basically, it keeps going onto two cylinders all the time.
If you stop and switch off the ignition, it sometimes goes back to normal, sometimes not.
At least 2-3 times, it hasn't gone back to normal and has had to go to the dealer on the back of a truck.
The dealer has experienced the misfire on a test drive.
They have ECU fault codes showing the car has registered the misfire.
They have replaced 'faulty sparkplugs', to no avail.
The fault remains, the dealer is stumped.

As it's a lease car, we are close to making it the the lease company's problem.:nono:

Last edited:
160bhp version.

Basically, it keeps going onto two cylinders all the time.
If you stop and switch off the ignition, it sometimes goes back to normal, sometimes not.
At least 2-3 times, it hasn't gone back to normal and has had to go to the dealer on the back of a truck.
The dealer has experienced the misfire on a test drive.
They have ECU fault codes showing the car has registered the misfire.
They have replaced 'faulty sparkplugs', to no avail.
The fault remains, the dealer is stumped.

As it's a lease car, we are close to making it the the lease company's problem.:nono:

My delight of receiving a build date lasted 37 minutes :rolleyes:

My delight of receiving a build date lasted 37 minutes :rolleyes:

To be fair, the dealer did say it was the first Scirocco they've experienced with this problem.
Of absolutely no consolation to the poor sod who owns it though.
He's lost all faith in what was his dream car.

To be fair, the dealer did say it was the first Scirocco they've experienced with this problem.
Of absolutely no consolation to the poor sod who owns it though.
He's lost all faith in what was his dream car.

Yeah, right. VAG cars have no reputation whatsoever for dodgy coil packs, turbos and other sundry electrics :rolleyes:

Gotta love dealer BS.

Yeah, right. VAG cars have no reputation whatsoever for dodgy coil packs, turbos and other sundry electrics :rolleyes:

Gotta love dealer BS.

I know...
Funny you should mention coilpacks.
That's what my money is on, but getting it fixed seems to be another story.
The owner is wishing he'd gone for the diesel version now.

I know...
Funny you should mention coilpacks.
That's what my money is on, but getting it fixed seems to be another story.
The owner is wishing he'd gone for the diesel version now.

Why's that? They have turbos, dual mass flywheels, DPFs, and dodgy VAG electronics as well.

He'd probably have been best off with the straightforward-ish 2.0 petrol turbo.

Last edited:
Why's that? They have turbos, dual mass flywheels, DPFs, and dodgy VAG electronics as well.

Because my money's fair and square on it being coilpacks.
And no coilpacks on the diesel.
Of course the diesels have other problems, we've experienced those on the fleet too.
But this particular problem is petrol engine only.;)

Because my money's fair and square on it being coilpacks.
And no coilpacks on the diesel.
Of course the diesels have other problems, we've experienced those on the fleet too.
But this particular problem is petrol engine only.;)

The diesels have problems already? Blimey, that doesn't say much for the design/QC.

Looks like your colleague would have been better off with something other than a Scirocco, full stop.

Looks like your colleague would have been better off with something other than a Scirocco, full stop.

Well if the fault continues, and we consider telling the lease company to take their lemon car and stick it up their 'arris, he may have to decide on something else after all.

As an aside, we worked out he's only been getting 29.5 mpg out of it too.
Which may or may not be related to the ignition problems.

All in all, not impressed.:thumbsdow

Arent these engines just standard VW spec'd used across their range of cars?

Arent these engines just standard VW spec'd used across their range of cars?

Yes, in various power guises, seen in the Passat, Golf, Tiguan, A3, Leon, Jetta, Touran, Ibiza.

BTW, when I said our fleet had experienced problems with the VAG diesels, it was/is the old PD (non CR) versions.
We've only got one of the 'new' CR diesels, and it's been fine so far.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom