Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New car lead times

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by Jules Winfield, Jul 25, 2010.

1. GRUMGUF

GRUMGUF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well reading this makes me feel slightly better, I went to buy an Audi A3 sportback Sline 170 bhp and I was horrified when told it would be 2011 before I could take delivery. I could not fault the staff at the dealership but when I looked at the price of going down the nearly new route I could see you could buy a new one with a discount for the same money so did not bother in the end.
    Following this I went to look at the Skoda VRS Octavia, great car well made and again a very long lead time, this is the first time I have had this problem in my 28years of driving.
    Not sure what the answer is here. The VW group manufacture great cars in my opinion but are missing out on sales with this current situation. I may now have some work done on my current car and keep it as its running ok. I hope in the future the situation improves.
  2. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI Member

Ratings:
    +71
    i'm being quoted 6 months on a 1.2 polo, I ordered 3 Golfs in july and they are scheduled to be built at christmas ....
  3. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,744
    I ordered a blumotion Golf for the fleet two weeks ago.
    Got choice of two colours for delivery in 8 weeks.
  4. Epicurus

Epicurus Active Member

Ratings:
    +405
    I can't help but feel VW Group and Audi in particular are taking the Michael at the moment with lead times, prioritising production for the far East market at the expense of their core consumer. Growth led obsessions like that often lead to being bitten in the ass, as it sounds like a couple of people here have chosen to buy elsewhere.
  5. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    I can't help thinking some buyers/dealers could maybe try a little harder.
    Is the buyer shopping around, or taking the word of one dealer?
    Is that dealer lazy, could he find a car if he wanted?

Two examples I've personal experience of.

1/ VW Scirocco, our source got one within a couple of weeks.
    2/ VW Golf, our source is getting one in 8 weeks.

Of course, it could be hyper-fussy buyers wanting a specific spec/colour.
  6. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren Active Member

Ratings:
    +926
    My wife for some reason really wants a Scirocco, I sat down with VW and went through a pretty standard spec, only to be told I would not be able to take delivery until April at the earliest :rotfl: I put him under a lot of pressure to improve that lead time and the best he could come up with was "it will be April at the absolute latest"

Back to the drawing board :laugh:
  7. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    Well as I said before, our local VW dealer had two in stock.
    Both Tsi (160bhp) engines.
    A blue one with 17" wheels (we bought that).
    A red one with 18" wheels.
  8. Epicurus

Epicurus Active Member

Ratings:
    +405
    Finding new models with basic spec is relatively straightforward, trying to find ones with high spec is much more difficult hence the need to factory order.
  9. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    I covered that, by saying it could be fussy buyers wanting this/that/the other.
    In which case, do they really have the right to moan about lead times?
    'Bespoke' cars are a double-edged sword.
    I'm benefitting from the 'bespoke' treatment in my new car, but at the same time I wouldn't be bothered if they only offered fixed specs.
    Fixed specs would surely speed the process up?

BTW, the Scirocco we got isn't basic spec.
    It has a couple of extras, I can't recall what they are precisely.

It just shows you, if you're willing to be a bit flexible, you needn't wait for a car.:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,390
  11. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    This makes for depressing reading, especially that I want a new VW, either a Golf GTD or a Scirocco GT 170 diesel, both with a DSG box. I also thought about a Seat Leon FR, I've e mailed three Seat dealers for information on getting a test drive and none of them have bothered to reply.......so Seat you can stick that car where the sun don't shine.

We want a VW by mid May and our local dealer has told us to order no later than the first week of January, he's confident of the Scirroco but no so for the GTD. So Scirocco GT 170 diesel with a DSG box in Rising Blue please (so says SWMBO).

When I ordered my current car, a Volvo V50, I was told 10-15 weeks, it arrived just after 9, but that was in 2008.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Member

Ratings:
    +19
    My BMW 320ED went in for build on 1st September. Will be ready by end of November latest (12 weeks).

My colleague ordered Audi A3 S-line at the same time. Ready by April 2011. Ho ho.
  13. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    By the time he gets it, the new A3 will be imminent.:blush:
  14. aido

aido Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I ordered an A3 in April and was quoted a delivery date of the end of November - it turned up a couple of weeks ago! People I know who ordered a BMW at the same time had them within 6-8 weeks.
  15. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I've tried 3 different VW dealers and i only want base spec cars, i have managed to get hold of 3 polos, 1 golf plus and a touran today though. The south african factory that produces the polo has apparently returned to work after striking.
  16. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,118
    I went to Watford Audi last week with a friend who wanted an A5 Convertible with lots of options. She was told delivery would be March or April next year. She ended up buying a secondhand (well, only 5 months old) A5 with all the options she wanted from Bexley Audi. It was around £8k cheaper than the equivalent new car too.
  17. Jules Winfield

Jules Winfield Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Well, my Golf GTD (mentioned back at the start of the thread) has finally been built and shipped to the UK. Last I heard, it was in Grimsby, waiting transportation to the dealer. The post-build process is utterly vague and imprecise, which is very, very frustrating, given the length of time I've been waiting. It got built (completed by 30/09), then got shipped from Volkswagen's factory at Wolfsburg to the port of exit (Emden). And there it stayed. For three weeks. At one point, the salesman told me that it was in Grimsby, but later the same day he changed his mind and told me it was still in Emden. Finally, it got on a boat, so now I'm waiting for the transportation company to pull their finger out and ship the thing to the dealer. The salesman reckons it'll be with them by early this week (Tuesday was mentioned), so if it is, I should be able to collect on Friday. However, I'm not too optimistic - next week seems more likely. My expectations are low. Very low.

It is now 34 weeks (238 days) since I placed my order. In another nine days, I will have been waiting for longer than the length of the entire 2010 Formula 1 season.
  18. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    That is some wait! How customised was it?
  19. Epicurus

Epicurus Active Member

Ratings:
    +405
    Hah my Q5 is also awaiting transportation although I've been promised next week. At least it being built provides me with some relief...

Popped in the dealer a few days ago to sign the papers. Looked at a copy of the order form and realised I actually went a bit crazy on the options, still it should be nice!
  20. Fordy1

Fordy1 Member

Ratings:
    +7

Typical company (VAG biased) talk !.
    How you can say the Golf is not mass produced is beyond me when it's probably your best selling vehicle ie. lots of people buy it hence produced in vast numbers to maintain demand.
    Why also make a ridiculous statement of, quote ;

And, following Toyota's problems and Ford's demise, we are now the world's largest car maker, not the third.

That has nothing to do with the fact that you have kept someone waiting far too long for a new car and is an insult to the purchaser, essentially your saying we are far too busy trying to dominate the world to worry about building your car in good time :rolleyes:.

You may have increased sales and great market share but don't forget it's the buying public that put you there and they can bring you crashing back down as well.
  21. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    I salute your patience.
    I'm pretty sure my attention would have turned to another car in that time.
  22. sidicks

sidicks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,224

I'd be interested to hear how you find your Q5 - this is the preferred route for my wife's next car to replace her current A3 Sportback.

I had heard that in 2011 this might be available with the 3.0T Petrol engine from the S4, albeit slightly detuned, as in the new A7.

Sounds like it might be fun...!
    :thumbsup:
    Sidicks
  23. huntere

huntere Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Interesting reading guys. In summary I can tell you the situation is identical in Australia.
    The GTD Gold was only launched here end of June so I test drove one immediately and ordered a well spec'd up one so had to be custom built (as opposed to one of the stock vehicles VW Australia had pre-ordered).
    I was advised I could "alter" one of the VW pre-orders as it hadn't entered production but was in the queue. Outcome was car ordered in May would be delivered in October (bear in mind 4 weeks on the water to Aus). Anyway I could just about tolerate this but then in August was told it would be December at best.
    Anyway cancelled the order and got a Passat CC immediately as it was ex stock - in fact got a good deal. More than happy and not mich difference in price as the CC had everything standard which we wanted as options on the Golf.
    Different car sure but just as pleasurable in different ways - at least we'll see at Christmas when we have a little 4000km drive!
  24. Jules Winfield

Jules Winfield Member

Ratings:
    +108
    It has a fair number of options, but nothing whacky. The main reason for the delay is that VW managed to "lose" the order in May/June, so they had to re-order the car in early July. They don't make huge numbers of GTDs and there was a shortage of automatic gearboxes which didn't help. The car was built in late September, and then there was a period of a couple of weeks where it was in purgatory somewhere, waiting to get on a boat and then to the dealer. You get a build week, and you then just wait for it to turn up at the dealer, which in my case has taken four weeks.

As for cancelling, there was nothing else that took my fancy. And I can't cancel now as I'm picking it up (finally) this afternoon!

The worst thing by far has been the lack of communication from the dealer. They make promises to phone that they don't keep, which means I have had to do a lot of chasing myself. VW UK doesn't care in the slightest. They give the impression that franchised dealers can basically do whatever they want, and VW can't intervene. Which is nonsense, but that's the line they like to give. I only got somewhere by writing stroppy letters to VW's managing director and various people at the dealer and the dealer's parent company, and even after all that, it's been far from plain sailing. If I'd have known what was going to happen, I would have gone to a different dealer. Quite which one I would have chosen is another topic entirely, as all of the ones near me are atrocious.
  25. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +441
    How long after ordering a factory build can you expect a build date from your dealer?

My order for a VW went in last week.
  26. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +441
    Anyone?
  27. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    You should get a projected build date before you order.
    You should get a confirmed (approximate) build date/delivery date within a week or so, max.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  28. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +441
    Okay thanks.

Received a projected date prior to order.

Will chase them for a confirmed date
  29. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +441
    4 weeks passed and no build date from VW yet :(
  30. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI Member

Ratings:
    +71
    my 3 are unconfirmed for week 2, which means they keep slipping back. I won't believe ours are built until i can drive one of them :)