Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW 2011 LG BD 660 available on line - anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by cmuk, Apr 4, 2011.

1. cmuk

cmuk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have seen the new 2011 LG BD 660 Blu-ray player on sale online and as I'm looking for a new player to complement my LG BD390, I'm interested to know if anyone has got one and what the opinions of it are?

I have found a manual on LG's Australia website where it states that it will play back WMV from disc or usb but WMV is left off the list of streaming dlna formats it will stream.
    The strange thing is that in the American manuals for the BD650 and BD 670 WMV is on the list of streaming dlna formats??

So if anyone has one, does it stream WMV from network shares?
  2. ciscokid1

ciscokid1 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Yes, I have recently purchased one from RS-----good price and superb service with a smile at the Birmingham branch.
    The unit is very good. Iplayer, Utube, DNLA setup, streaming media from my Laptop and PC already. Picture is superb and sound throgh my Arcam AVR300/A85 is great. Connected via Optical.
    Had no issues at present and such good value. This unit can also rip CD's to USB.
    Any more info let me know?:smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. cmuk

cmuk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the feedback, just to be specific can you stream .wmv files off your pc? The 670 manual states it can but the 660 doesn't mention it?
  4. ciscokid1

ciscokid1 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Ive not tried this. I dont have any .wmv files on my PC. The Electronic manual states that the extn movie files supported for PC/DLNA are “.avi”, “.divx”,
    “.mpg”, “.mpeg”,
    “.mkv”, “.mp4”

However for USB wmv is supported.I read
    somewhere that the 670 and 690 transfer files directly from Blu-ray device to PC device wirelessly without going via the hub
  5. socngill

socngill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Looking at purchasing our first BluRay player and this one seems to tick all the boxes, and it's sub £100!

However, having read through the LG BD550 there were issues relating to playing MKV files. Has anybody tried playing these files via USB external drive on the BD660? What were the results like? It's a big issue for me as i'm getting a bluray to play both BluRays and MKV files.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. Kamil

Kamil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm also very pleased with this blue-ray player :) I don't use to it watch blue-ray due to my dvds collection ;) I've made a review about it. Quite short but with lot's of photos. If you wonder how this player handles dvd's resolution upscale or you want to see how the menu looks like without buying than I recommend you my review :)
    lg bd660 review
  7. jack616

jack616 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    socngill -
    Yes the BD660 will play MKV files however you must remember that MKV is a wrapper.
    People can put almost any format into it.

I spent the last week trying out different things (to get my DVD collection on hard drive) and have found
    that simply using the free VOB 2 MKV programs often fail to play back correctly. They either fail on
    "file format" or "file resolution" Findin "working" specification is impossible.

There is also a bug when this happens meaning clicking OK on the pop-up doesnt work - you must press "exit" to close it.

IF the files have the required content however it is a superb player. I am still investigating what I have to do but
    I've had some good fixes by simply running a few files through toolnix gui - (takes about 3 minutes and seems to fix header errors )

On the plus side it will play DTS files whereas the LG650 TV will not - in fact it plays a lot more than the TV
    will directly which is why I'm using it in preference to the TV USB port.

Inititally I viewed this feature as a bonus - but now I'm looking to use it as a default its so useful.
    If the above sounds negative - it isnt - I tried a couple of rips off the net to be sure it does work and they both played fine so its just working out which formats inside the MKV that do and dont work you need to handle and build your own MKV's to that. (Its pretty easy - the main problem is the time it takes to sort throught the hundreds
    of "free" applications that almost but never seem to quite do it right.

Toolnix is the best I've found so far but I'm open to suggestions (incl. commercial apps - but NOT AVS)

In short - highly recommended for USB MKV & bluray - but see my thread on the search function.
  8. derek S

derek S Member

Ratings:
    +1
  9. jack616

jack616 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    FYI

Just for info - I cant get any MKV with V_MPEG2 in them to play so that accounts for all the ones I did myself! Looks like
    I need to convert my video to something else. Thats a big pain
    as I have quite a few DVD's I want to transfer.

I dont get any of the reported lipsync issues either with TV or BD though.
  10. nickg1977

nickg1977 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Same problem as I had with the BD390. I suggested to them they may want to provide MPEG2 in MKV support in future machines, but doubt they will.
    Still baffles me why they can't sort it with a simple firmware patch. The machine recognises MKV files and has an MPEG2 decoder! :rolleyes:

Nick
  11. jack616

jack616 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    What really annoys me is that some files that play through the bluray dont on the LG-650 TV and vice versa
  12. jack616

jack616 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    OK - I had a good play over the weekend and discovered that it WILL play mpeg2 but you have to have
    them in a .TS wrapper.

Fortunately this only takes 3-4 minutes per movie on a laptop as you dont need to do anything with the video or audio itself. (esentially its just file copy time)
  13. Silvamike

Silvamike Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm considering this player for it's ability to play movies from external HDDs, not just USB pen drives.

One question: does it play/recognise ISO files (pure copies) stored in the HDD, or just compressed files?

Thanks.
  14. drdr

drdr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Is able to play full HD 3D side by side format (3840x1080) mkv from DLNA server?
  15. payneardo

payneardo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bought this unit today and its playing everything I throw at it so far (and even sees network shares :) ) but it is only displaying the MKV's I have as 2.1 but Blu-rays are fine ??

It is connected to a onkyo ht-r390 via HDMI and I would like surround sound for video files as well as Blu-ray discs. If I change it to pass through it plays a test surround sound video fine and it seems to come out of all speakers but on the info of the video file it still says 2.1

Sorry as I am bit of a newbie here and trying to get my head round it but if I select pass through on the sound setup, my onkyo will then "sort the sound out" regardless of what it says on the info of the video file and will play surround sound fine ??

Also just tested a WMV file (wildlife sample one) and it played it across the network but only tested via connecting via network share and not by twonky :)

Thanks
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  16. HenryPorter

HenryPorter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am interested in this model, but as I have a WD TV Live Hub, and wish to rip DVDs and blu-rays, and stream them through the blu-ray player, I am interested in establishing which formats it can play, from a usb connected device such as the WD TV Live Hub.

I can create Video-ts folders including mpeg .vobs, .iso files with Imgburn, and will be creating .mkvs of my own HD movie projects from Pinnacle Studio (I have a Panasonic HD camcorder). Full DVD menu capability would be nice.

Like the earlier poster I would really like to maintain 5.1 surround where possible.

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has successfully tested these formats could report back on their success, or otherwise.

.... payneardo, ... Did you establish whether the 5.1 surround you achieved through your av amp was genuine separated surround, or was it merely throwing stereo to the rear channels?
  17. payneardo

payneardo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used a test file and it did play in 5.1 surround, I changed the sound settings to pass through :)

But was unsure watching some films but looking for a good film which has a great surround sound section that I can buy and then rip to test the difference between the two to defiantly make sure :D
  18. HenryPorter

HenryPorter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Good work - keep us posted.

Thanks
  19. rewerb

rewerb Active Member

Ratings:
    +661
    Hi, Can this unit stream AVCHD video (.m2ts files) over DLNA?
  20. Chiven

Chiven New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I purchased a BD660 last month and I must say for the cost I cannot fault it....

However I do have one small problem, I'm a big Baseball fan living in the UK and the only way to watch Baseball in the UK is online via MLB.tv

According to MLB.tv and the LG website I can access MLB.tv via NetCast, however when i go to NetCast it's not there. I contact LG "Help Desk" and after about 1 hour of being passed around I was told that the BD660 NetCast does not support MLB.tv. To get that in NetCast I needed a better spec model.

This seemed a very odd response since as I understand it NetCast is just a portal in "web tv". I've got the latest software/firmware on the BD660.

Can anyone of the other UK BD660 users advise me if they have the MLB.tv icon please.

Many thanks
    :lease:
  21. Carl32

Carl32 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All

Does this blu ray player have a SD Card Slot for memory ?

I am looking to buy a blu ray player that plays all blu ray regions, I have found this one at multi region magic for a decent price.
  22. mrdeviance

mrdeviance Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys, massive newbie here.

Have just bought a new LG 3D TV and it plays MKV files fine, but I get the "unsupported audio" message with any files that contain DTS audio.

If I buy this DVD player and run the USB drive through it, will these files be played back as the player supports DTS?
  23. FoneFreak

FoneFreak Member

Ratings:
    +8
    The tv you have does not support dts, this player does.

I have only recently bought this and It is BRILLIANT. it even picks up ALL shares over my netowkr and plays almost all formats INCLUDING .VOB files.

Brilliant player.
  24. FoneFreak

FoneFreak Member

Ratings:
    +8
    One MAJOR thing i have noticed tho is that the sorting order (of the movies) is not in order, this is NOT good!!.

I will see if i can resolve this in the settings (i hope so :()

Othen then the above issue its still a good unit!
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  25. carlito

carlito Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Price dropped to 39.99 at currys, if bought on line, and collected in store!
    At this price I'm going to get one for my bedroom!
    I've been happy with my bd550 which plays all mkv, .mp4, avi etc etc from my hard drive