Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network, Router and Homeplug Speeds

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by MarkP80, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MarkP80

MarkP80 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Hi guys,

Trying to get my head around all the various options on Homeplug speeds.

At the moment I have the PC and an XBox connected to 2Meg cable internet via Homeplugs and a router. My Homeplugs are old 14Mbps, but they work fine.

Now, my relatively new PC has a Gigabit ethernet interface. However, in XP it reports it is connected via a 100Mbps network. correct me if I'm wrong, but this will be due to the router being a 100Mbps router, thus setting the network speed? (Or is there something else going on?)

So, first question is, to take advantage of the PCs gigabit ethernet capability, would I need a gigabit-capable router? (Let's ignore the fact that I've nothing to connect to at that sort of speed, for the time being).

Next step - I'm thinking about streaming video to another device from the pc (not sure what yet, that's another forum!), and I'm therefore looking at upgrading the Homeplugs. First option is straightforward, simply switch to 85Mbps Homeplugs.

What about going the next step though - 200Mbps Homeplugs. For these to not be network-limited, would I need to use a gigabit router, to increase the network speed? Surely 200Mbps Homeplugs are limited if they're on a 100 Mbps network? (I presume I understand the function of the router - all traffic goes through this, yes?)

All opinions welcomed, and all assistance gratefully received :lease:

Thanks,
    MarkP

Or am I getting my bits and bytes mixed up!
  2. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
    To go high speed you need a Gigabit Switch, you connect the router into the switch (you can still connect slow items to this like Lan printers) which will be a 100Mb connection with 2Mb of data flowing through it, then connect all other items to the switch and these will interact upto 1Gb between each other.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MarkP80

MarkP80 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the quick reply,

The problem is I don't have hard-wired connections. I need to use a Homeplug solution, as the PC and streamed video receiver (maybe a PS3) will be in different rooms.

How would I use a switch? If I have it next to the router, how do I get the devices connected to it? Would I need two Homeplugs at the switch, with one ethernet cable from each plug going into the switch - and a Homeplug where each device is connected?

Thanks,
    MarkP
  4. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +914
    to stream hidef 85mbs may just do it. maybe. I'm using 200's and get abour 120mbs tops.

plugging your gigabit machine into a gigabit router into a 200mbs homeplug, then the homeplug wizzes around the powerlines into another homeplug plugged into your ps3.

no point in going gigabit for that as the max you would get is 120mbs (approx) from the 200mbs homeplugs. I also think the ps3 is only 100mb anyway. I know the xbox360 only has 100mb lan connection.

you only only benefit from a gigabit lan connection if all your devices were plugged into a gigabit lan and were also gigabit devices.
  5. MarkP80

MarkP80 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply. Makes some sense.

Question though - If you are using 200 Mbps plugs and are getting 120Mbps, are you using gigabit router? Unless I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, there's no point going for 200 Mbps plugs as the limit will be the 100 Mbps router, will it not?

So, to get the advantage of the 200Mbps plugs, the router would need to be more than 100Mbps, or the router limits it?

But if I then only go for 85 Mbps plugs, I would only get 40-50 Mbps, wouldn't I? So is it better to stick with a 100Mbps router, put 200Mbps plugs on, and accept the router will be a potential bottleneck at 100Mbps, but will still be much better than would be achieved with 85Mbps plugs. IYSWIM!!

(This is making my head hurt BTW)

Cheers,
    MarkP
  6. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +914
    I have a gigabit switchin my office (because I used to have my nas on the same switch so get damm good performance if I need to copy a lot of data on/off it - like 100gbs)

then into a 200mbs homeplug. down stairs in the ciname room out pops the homeplug again into a 100mbs router for the amp, dvd player, xbox360, ps3 etc. I can stream fine using the homeplugs to a max of whatever the 100mb router can do. The nas is in the cinema room now too ( as its now a proper linux server and thus a bit noiser than one of the small off the shelf nas devices)

I may need to replace the router with a switch to keep the bandwith up a bit but I've no need for now.

If the 100mb router can sustain the data to the homeplug they're pretty matched. As I say you cant get the max out of the homeplugs so its nearer the maximum of the router so basically everything runs at about 100mbs. I may even replace the wifi-g 100mbs router I have with a wifi-n gigabit switch (if they're available) as my wifi roku soundbridge sometimes drops out when streaming uncompressed alac files from the linux server (which is running firefly)

As you say the 85mbs would get around thr 50-60 mark so underutilises the router capacity.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. MarkP80

MarkP80 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Hi Graham,

This is starting to make sense to me now, I think I see the way I need to go. Thanks for the explanation, and thanks too Andy for your initial reply.

Regards,
    MarkP
  8. MarkP80

MarkP80 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Something like this? -

Link

or this -

Link
  9. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +914
    mmm they look the ticket.

However just checked the pinnacle site for the soundbridge homemusic and its only wifi-g :(
    damm and blast.
  10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Guys. Sorry to jump in with such a basic question but this thread seems like its full of people who can point me in the right direction.

At the moment i have my PC plugged in to a Linksys broadband/WiFi router that goes to my cable modem. all works fine. The WiFi bit is just for my sons PSP and my phone.
    we are getting a PS3 next month and i want to use this to stream HD files to my TV using HDMI from the PS3. Im pretty sure i wont be able to do this over WiFi due to the bandwidth restrictions so im looking for a cable-less solution. The PC and TV/PS3 will only be about 5ft apart but i cant run a cable between them.

Would the Homeplug system be my best bet? Ive only just come across them and they do look ideal. Are they up to running HD films?

Im not really up on all the networking terminology although i can set up a network ad hoc style.

Cheers.
  11. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +914
    you'd probably need about 40-50mbs to stream hd content. I think a ps-3 has a wifi-g in it and thus maxes out at 54gb so I dont think it would cope with hd content.

home plugs 1.0 plus run at 85mbs max and achieve about 40-50 - just about what you need for hd but really on the edge.

homeplugs HD run at 200mbs and I get about 120 out of my netgear ones. More than enough to stream HD

You will need two - an in and an out of the ring main. Each connected to a device at either end - one being the router, the other the ps3.
  12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Cheers for that.
    I would go for the 200mbs ones anyway, better to be safe than sorry.
    One other question. My Pc has two network ports. will i run in to any problems having both enabled. One for the Homplug system and one for my broadband (ie, leaving my set up as it is)?
  13. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +914
    I would leave the pc plugged into the router and the home plug also into the router. you only need one network connection then
  14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Yeah, i guess that makes things a bit easier.

Cheers.
  15. MarkP80

MarkP80 Member

Ratings:
    +105
    I'd agree that that's the way to go. Otherwise you'd need the PC on if you wanted to access the net with the PS3 (not necessarily just for online gaming).

The Homeplugs won't disturb your existing setup. Just have one at your PS3, and one at your router, as Graham says, and it'll work fine.

MarkP
  16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Thanks very much guys.
    I still have a couple of weeks before the PS3 arrives but so much to read up on.
    I doubt we will be using it for on line gaming. We are only getting it as its free and wan to use it for media streaming but i guess my son might want it on line.

:thumbsup: