Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network ID & Transport stream 0000

Discussion in 'Satellite TV Forum' started by DaveHope, Jul 2, 2007.

1. DaveHope

DaveHope Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Hello all,

Got myself a freesat box, dish and card yesterday and hooked it all up ok but am having a weird problem actually getting any signal.

When going to the signal test option Signal and quality hover around the 60% mark, lock indicator says "OK" but network ID and transport stream stay with 0000. When going to browse channels I get an error about there being no signal.

Box is a Panasonic DSB40.

Things i've tried:
    - Manually updating to the latest firmware (hold backup bottom thing)
    - Going through the "New Installation" procedure (401select)

Any ideas as to what the cause could be? - the fact that "lock indicator" says OK, and network and transport Id remain with 0000s seems a bit strange.

Cheers!
  2. Fugitivewolf6

Fugitivewolf6 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    check the connections from the dish.. sounds like a stray wire from the outer braid touching the inner core...
  3. DaveHope

DaveHope Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks. Will take a look as soon as I get in thisevening.
  4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +706
    Surely a stray wire shorting would result in no signal and no lock (as well
    as the 14/18 volts being shorted which wouldn't be a good thing).

Chris Muriel, Manchester
  5. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,099
  6. DaveHope

DaveHope Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Yep, installing myself. Refuse to pay an engineer for what's essentially 10mins work :)

Hrm, ok. Will see if I can align it to 28.2 east then, thanks!
  7. Fugitivewolf6

Fugitivewolf6 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    may be wrong... but you shouldnt get any quality reading unless ur hooked up to the right bird... may show strength but not quality... and yes ive had a problem with 0000 before... changed everything.. and it turned out to be a singal strand of outer braid... weird yes.. but after fixing that.. no problems with the old gear...
  8. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,099
    No I've had both signal strength and quality readings on 19.2 previously when a dodgibox is aligned on 19.2 - there is a transponder on 19.2 with same freq and symbol rate as the Sky dodgibox default.
  9. DaveHope

DaveHope Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Hrm. Thanks for the ideas all.

I've checked all connections, replaced the one which connects to the DigiBox and still no luck. Same problem.

Interestingly, wherever I point the dish I get the same results (unless I point it directly at the floor, when I get nothing). Sat on the floor facing the house opposite gets me a lock. Is that normal? - Should it really connect just that easily, moving the dish through 360degrees doesn't drop the lock, weird?
  10. SamRadford

SamRadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
  11. DaveHope

DaveHope Member

Ratings:
    +25
    SamRadford, hadn't seen the movie. Have not watched it. No matter where the dish is aligned I get 0000s and an "OK" lock indicator.

Called Sky and asked them. They suggested it was a problem with the LNB and said I should call an engineer. Not believing what they said I tried my box on another (very old) dish that was on the house when we bought it, same problem.

So, I'll be borrowing a friends box tonight to see if the box is the cause of the problem.
  12. SamRadford

SamRadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    So lemme get this straight: you are trying to get a signal without aligning the dish with a meter? Sky Digiboxes are easily confused. In my experience, once that "lock" indication appears, you won't get rid of it till you reboot the Digibox. Does it work with a friend's dish?