1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

netgear DG834GT Cant update firmware

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by jonnyv, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Im having problems downloading updated firmware from the netgear site.

Can anyone else download the latest firmware for the DG834GT ?

thanks
  2. ItShMe

ItShMe Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Downloads fine from here, using the right click and save or left click then either opening in ZIP or rar. 3.30mb file.

What error are you getting? Does the file start to save? Does it have a zip association when downloaded?

If you can download it then unzip then login to your router. Select Maintenance, click Router Upgrade, locate unzipped file.

Are you able to browse the net fine? If not then maybe a ISP/DNS issue?
  3. jonnyv

jonnyv Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the reply
    I right click on the file and select save,but it opens a new window and doesnt download, 'a connection with the server cannot be established' is the error message.

Any chance you could email me the file?

Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  4. ItShMe

ItShMe Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Sent
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. xrayvisionguy

xrayvisionguy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I am having problem upgrading my netgear dg834gt router. It had sky firmware installed- i used to use sky broadband - now i am using a different provider. I tried to upgrade using netgear dg834 gt original firmware v1.02.16. I have connected my laptop with cable to the router and used the recovery utility which didnt work - now i think i held the reset button for long timei have green and amber light fashing - i have tried using recovery tool again - nothing works. now i dont have anythng not old firmware or the new the one -router isnt working. when i start router i have those two lights flashing. what can i do to solve this.

And my OS is xp home sp3 - \i also use vista.

Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  6. jonnyv

jonnyv Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Are you able to access the router setup screen by typing http://192.168.0.1

into your internet browser ?
  7. xrayvisionguy

xrayvisionguy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    no i can't
  8. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    It sounds like your router is toast. This is the very reason why upgrading for no discernible reason is counseled against. That was not the situation in this case of course.
  9. leeboy1411

leeboy1411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yep defo toast netgear router, same happened to mine, they can go at any time.

Liam
  10. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    I don't agree with that last statement. I have found Netgears to be extremely reliable. It is only when people fiddle around with them that problems arise.
  11. leeboy1411

leeboy1411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Im not saying that Netgear routers are unreliable.I have always used Netgear, all Iam saying that yes routers can fail suddenly over a period of time. According to one of his statements below he can't use the web base configurator ( http://192.168.0.1) I would recommend trying to insert a pin into the reset button on the back of the unit. If this does not work then its definately time to go router shopping. Do you switch the router off every night? as this is one of the major causes of router failure, when you switch it off it is like a shock to the system thus causing the firmware to fail.
  12. jerryq7777

jerryq7777 Active Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  13. leeboy1411

leeboy1411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Like I said before he cannot log in therefore cannot access the firmware or use the recovery feature, if you cannot log in at all and/or the orange light conitunes to blink then the router is definately faulty, there is not much more you can do.