Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NetFlix

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by FishDUDE, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,431
    Now I have :laugh:

I've had Lovefilm for years, since they were ScreenSelect, also got the full Sky package. I've always been highly sceptical of streaming services, tried LF a when it first started and it was pretty ropey. I did however try it again a few months back and found they were now streaming some HD stuff (not sure what resolution it was) but it certainly looked pretty decent on my iPad. Never really got around to trying it on the big TV though.

Night before last, I thought I'd give Netflix a try and signed up for the free trial and also the free Un-block US trial. Got to say, I was really impressed with both the picture and sound quality, OK, so it's not HD audio, but the 5.1 sounded good and the picture on some of the stuff I've watched is great. Being able to change regions and get different content is no more than a click away, started watching The Raid on Netflix Canada last night.

I've got a BT Infinity with the Home Hub 3 and unless I'm mistaken, you can't change the DNS on it, so I'm having to change it on each device. Despite having a Panasonic GT20 and a couple of Panny BD players, all with Viera Connect or whatever they call it, none of them actually do Netflix, just some other streaming service (Ace-something or other) that charge you by the movie rather than a flat fee, so having to watch Netflix via my 360. Not the end of the world, the fan noise can be a little distracting at times when you first start watching, but is quickly forgotten when you get into the movie. The only problem is, it's not as accesible for the wife, as she has no idea how to work the Xbox:laugh:

I might have to give her a crash course on it's operation and leave written instructions.

Thinking maybe an Apple TV or similar might not be a bad idea? How easy is it to change the DNS on an ATV? Unless there is a way to change DNS on the Home Hub?

The way I've got it set up at the moment does mean I can have different regions set up on various devices, so conceivably, we could watch different content across, iPad, iPhone, PC, PS3, 360, iPod and laptop, even all at once too, thanks to Infinity:rotfl:

Early days yet, so we'll see how impressed I am after the 30 day trial is up and how much I use it, but thinking all three of Sky, LF is pretty much overkill, so maybe one of them will have to go. Inclined to keep LF as games rentals are included.

Although, with the studios signing up to all these exclusive deals with different suppliers, I'm wondering if it might be as well to keep all three, so pretty much all bases are covered.
  2. HummerUK

HummerUK Member

Ratings:
    +131
    I have BT Infinity with the Home Hub 3.

DNS settings are locked in that so it only uses BT's Domain Name Servers (they claim for your protection).

I ditched my Home Hub for a ASUS RT-N66U which has more features including letting you set the DNS IP details.

ASUS RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

BTW - I only use UK Netflix so have not tried any of the "tweaks".

HummerUK
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. rcaudwell

rcaudwell Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I found that a lot of the content on Lovefilm exclusively in the UK is on the US/South American or Scandinavian versions of netflix, so cancelled my lovefilm sub. Moreflicks is a great site to look up movies and tv on in the different netflix areas.
  4. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,179
    We have love film free for a year and also have netflix. Cancelled sky movies and sky hd, hd subs is such a rip nowadays, it grates paying £11 extra a month just to watch the channels we've already paid for. Netflix shows that fee for what it is, I think the Netflix image quality and user interface is superb at almost half the price of sky HD subs and netflix includes content!

The Love film instant user interface (ps3) is awful, but the content has been really good of late and seems to get new content quite regular. Netflix content is more hit and miss, but with US as an option, the library is great.

The dilemma for us will come when the Love Film offer expires, not sure whether to keep both. I really don't miss sky movies and the irony is, the longer you leave sky movies behind, the better the content on netflix and Love film becomes as they scoop up films you may have missed a bit later on.
  5. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,431
    The wife likes Sky movies, because she can use them On Demand when I'm not there, maybe if I can get her trained in Xbox operation, that particular hurdle will be out if the way :)
  6. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +743
    I used to have Sky and Netflix, but cancelled Sky a couple of months ago as I just got sick of the way they treat existing customers. I have an original HD box that was on the way out and the best they could do was £60 for a refurb. They made no offers when I cancelled and, to be honest, I don't miss it at all. Having the Netflix app on the tv makes it just as convenient too.
    Yes, Netflix doesn't have the latest shows/episodes, but there's enough to keep me busy for months with things I never got round to watching or want to watch again. Loving the West Wing and Vampire Diaries (I know, I know I thought it was teeny crap as well, but give it a chance!) at the minute and those alone will keep me busy for a few weeks.

For just under a tenner a month for Netflix and UnblockUS it's fantastic value for money. You do probably need an unlimited BB plan, but most of us have that anyway I'm guessing. Sky are getting there with on demand, but it's got a long way to go for me in terms of value for money compared to Netflix (the US one at least). Just my opinion of course.
  7. smackos

smackos Member

Ratings:
    +226
    Stick both Netflix and say iplayer as "pins" on the xbox then just show her how to physically turn the xbox on/off at the console itself. Then just explain that the "green button" means "go or click on" and "red is come out of it again". Once you do it in those simple terms you can even get the mother in-law using it.
  8. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,179
    Sky on demand is ok, but its only anytime dressed up, as its not entire back catalogs, just the most recent shown episodes. Not looked at the movie library though, but suspect it reflects whats currently showing on the channel rotation.
  9. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,431
    I've already got them pinned and the on/off is covered by my Harmony remote. I woder if it'd be possible to set up an activity that swithces to 360 and selects the Netflix pin? Hmmm, I'll have to look into that.

She may find it easier to use smartglass on her iPod rather than the controller, will see if I can teach her over the weekend, if my patience can hold out:rotfl:
  10. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,431
    Yep, that pretty much sums the On Demand movie section up :)

Of course, they also have plenty of Sky Store movies, which I assume is stuff that's not availble in the current rotation, lots of older stuff as well as the new release Box Office that was type stuff. Never use the pay stuff anyway.
  11. The Doofa

The Doofa Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Have you thought about a Roku Box? Has a dedicated Netflix button on the remote - simply press and away you go, Netflix loads.

The only downside is that if you want to use Unblock-Us with it then you need to set up your router with the DNS as you can't config DNS from the Roku settings.
  12. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,431
    That's the problem, I can't change the DNS settings on the router, it's a BT Home Hub 3, I could just buy a new router, but then that would cost probably around the same as the latest Apple TV, but with the ATV, I get the added advantage of the Air Play stuff to use with my iPhone/Pad.
  13. The Doofa

The Doofa Member

Ratings:
    +6
    @gooner - ATV it is then :D

If you need a hand setting up just give me a shout :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,431
    Thanks, probably easier to keep further discussions on this in the Apple TV section, where it'll be a bit more on topic, even though it's still concerning Netflix.
  15. Sebastalona

Sebastalona Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,546
    Just finished the first season of The West Wing............BRILLIANT! Worth the monthly fee on its own.

S2 Ep1 here we come!
  16. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Does anyone else get this message when trying to play a show on non UK Netflix, using Unblockus?
    I get it every now and again, but usually, with a lot of faffing around I eventually can get non UK netflix to play. This morning I can't get non UK Netflix to play on either my HTPC or laptop. If I dissable Unblockus, UK Netflix plays fine.
  17. Dave M

Dave M Active Member

Ratings:
    +479
    Can't find West Wing? Is it on Netflix UK?
  18. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,546
    US mate.
  19. The Doofa

The Doofa Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Us only I'm afraid
  20. The Doofa

The Doofa Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Forum ninja - beat me to it :D
  21. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,546
    [​IMG]
  22. The Doofa

The Doofa Member

Ratings:
    +6
    That's where you're hiding!
  23. HummerUK

HummerUK Member

Ratings:
    +131
    I see on my WD TV Live that some films are now in Super HD rather than HD.

Perhaps they are using 4K masters?

Edit: If you press option playing a SuperHD title it says Video is X-High/HD rather than just High so I guess they have increased the data rate.

HummerUK
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  24. HummerUK

HummerUK Member

Ratings:
    +131
    CES: Cablevision Cuts CDN Deal With Netflix | Cable Television News | Broadcast Syndication | Programming | Multichannel.com

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731#gsc.tab=0

ISP Check
    http://www.netflix.com/superhd

So we will be getting 3D as well...

HummerUK
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  25. Dave M

Dave M Active Member

Ratings:
    +479
    Can someone provide an "idiots guide" to how to get the unblock US Netflix? Is there a link?:confused:
  26. Dave M

Dave M Active Member

Ratings:
    +479
    Also, is it better to watch Netflix via my Apple TV 3 or my Oppo blu ray player, or doesn't it matter?
  27. -gonzo-

-gonzo- Active Member

Ratings:
    +524
    Nothing that google cannot find by searching unblock us.
    Anyhow here's the link http://www.unblock-us.com/
    Just follow instructions.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. smackos

smackos Member

Ratings:
    +226
    Netflix Shows Off Personalized Profiles at CES 2013 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

"Netflix is now testing personalized profiles for users of its streaming service, which will let each member of a household receive customized recommendations based on their viewing habits."

"Evers said Netflix is also testing the option of letting international users add films to an Instant Queue, so they can come back and watch later. Queues have been a familiar site for U.S. users thanks to Netflix's DVD service, and Netflix incorporated the queue concept into Watch Instantly when it first launched streaming. But overseas, Netflix users only have a streaming option - and no Instant Queue. That might change soon, but again, it will depend on the feedback Netflix receives during testing."

" Netflix continues to bulk up its streaming library. Yesterday, it inked a deal with Warner Bros. Television Group, which will bring the studio's shows to Netflix next year, including Revolution, Political Animals, Longmire, and 666 Park Avenue."
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Sebastalona

Ratings:
    +5,546
    I love the sound of personal profiles.........I won't now have to wade through all the kids programmes being recommended for me!

Netflix is just brilliant, I hope the price remains the same with all these new features they are adding to the service.
  30. hailesy

hailesy Member

Ratings:
    +15
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.