Netflix Poor Picture Quality

Almost as good as with some of the films on there.

I'm a huge fan of Run Lola Run so when I saw what proclaimed to be a lesbian version of it I had to put it on. What a load of rubbish. They attempted to copy it's style but it had none of it's sheer class.

Bri

Push the "display" button on your remote.

PQ can really fluctuate with Netflix especially at busy times. Though recently I have been watching all of The Good Wife and it was mostly OK even of sometimes the sound goes. Films seem to be more fickle.

That's not good. So far the sound has been fine for DD 5.1.

Bri

Been using Netflix since it launched over here, and no real problems get super-HD normally in under 1min. and I'm only on a 6mb d/l with BT. that's though a PS3 both wired and wireless..

Hi

I've just changed my ISP and I'm currently getting download speeds of 12.55Mbps on my non fibre broadband.

I signed up to Netflix yesterday and watched several episodes of Breaking Bad. There was no buffering or pause in connection at all. The picture was ok; no break up at all but pretty soft. Checking the incoming signal; it stated 576p. I was rather surprised by this as I'm using a (old fat) PS3. I thought that the PS3 supported 1080p streaming from Netflix?

How can I get 1080p via Netflix?

Could I have the wrong setting enabled on the PS3? I don't think I have, as the HDMI output on the PS3 is set to 'auto' and playing a Blu-ray disc, the tv confirms that it is getting a 1080p signal.

Or do I have to contact Netflix and get them to stream to me in 1080p?

Cheers

Have you tried changing the video quality setting to 'best'? If not this may be the reason why you arent getting 1080p. Can only be done by logging onto the website version from a pc Its in the settings menu somewhere - sorry I cant remember the exact location.

How can I get 1080p via Netflix?

Could I have the wrong setting enabled on the PS3? I don't think I have, as the HDMI output on the PS3 is set to 'auto' and playing a Blu-ray disc, the tv confirms that it is getting a 1080p signal.

Or do I have to contact Netflix and get them to stream to me in 1080p?

No you don't have to contact Netflix. Go to Settings in your PS3 menu then toggle down to and click on display settings. Then click on Video output settings. If you're not set up for 1080 you'll be able to do so here.

Bri

Have you tried changing the video quality setting to 'best'? If not this may be the reason why you arent getting 1080p. Can only be done by logging onto the website version from a pc Its in the settings menu somewhere - sorry I cant remember the exact location.

Thanks for the advice.

I have found the following adjustment under: Your Account > Profile > Picture settings

See here:

http://s28.postimg.org/6qh4kx9rx/NETFLIX_SETTING2.jpg

I have just altered it from 'Auto' to 'High' - I'll see later if that makes a difference.

No you don't have to contact Netflix. Go to Settings in your PS3 menu then toggle down to and click on display settings. Then click on Video output settings. If you're not set up for 1080 you'll be able to do so here.

Bri

Thanks Brian

I will double check the settings on my PS3 again. I don't think that is the problem as it is out putting 1080p with Blu-rays; but best to be certain.

Cheers.

It's your internet , I had problems like you with VM ,but they seem to have fixed it, I had high utilisation In my area and it's been fixed and netflix has been fine since.

Thanks for the advice.

I have found the following adjustment under: Your Account > Profile > Picture settings

I have just altered it from 'Auto' to 'High' - I'll see later if that makes a difference.

I didn't have to do that but I'm getting 1080 anyway.

Bri

I signed up about a week ago and hd e found the quality to be variable. I'm with Talk Talk and its generally worse at peak times. I can still get 1080p then but often it takes a little longer to ramp up and compression problems are far more visible, so it could well be they're shaping the traffic.

Having said that, when its behaving well it's actually better than I expected. I went through a big Breaking Bad session on Sunday and in the afternoon it was very good . It's a trial but I'm thinking of keeping it on as I'm finding it useful to catch up on stuff I'm in two minds about whether to buy or not.

I didn't have to do that but I'm getting 1080 anyway.

Bri

Altering the Netflix picture settings made no difference.

After a bit of faffing around; I discovered that a HDMI input switcher that I was using has now decided not to pass 1080p anymore! I've taken it out of the chain and I'm now getting 1080p from Netflix.

Thanks everyone.

Altering the Netflix picture settings made no difference.

After a bit of faffing around; I discovered that a HDMI input switcher that I was using has now decided not to pass 1080p anymore! I've taken it out of the chain and I'm now getting 1080p from Netflix.

Thanks everyone.

I'm pleased to hear it. Let us know what you make of it.

Bri

There are several references to 1080p here. I checked my monitor and it's only receiving 1080i which would explain the judder. I've just changed my playback settings to high from the auto it was on but I'm still getting 1080i. Is there a way to get 1080p from Netflix?

Bri

An i or a p wouldn't introduce judder. On the ps3 app, Netflix only outputs at 60Hz and a lot of the video content is 24Hz which introduces a slight blurry-judder to everything.
If you press Select on the PS3 while Netflix is streaming, it tells you if you're watching in Super HD or not. It doesn't say 1080 for me.

An i or a p wouldn't introduce judder. On the ps3 app, Netflix only outputs at 60Hz and a lot of the video content is 24Hz which introduces a slight blurry-judder to everything.
If you press Select on the PS3 while Netflix is streaming, it tells you if you're watching in Super HD or not. It doesn't say 1080 for me.

Yes I get the Super HD message from my PS3 as well but my moniter states it's 1080i. From past experience with both BD and HD DVD I've noticed quite a bit of judder with 1080i titles.

Bri

Yes I get the Super HD message from my PS3 as well but my moniter states it's 1080i. From past experience with both BD and HD DVD I've noticed quite a bit of judder with 1080i titles.

Bri
Well if your monitor is saying it's 1080i then that is the PS3 itself outputting that signal, not netflix. Even if Netflix was only getting 480 or 720p, the PS3 upscales it to 1080p and sends a 1080p signal to your tv, if your tv is capable of getting 1080p.

Well if your monitor is saying it's 1080i then that is the PS3 itself outputting that signal, not netflix. Even if Netflix was only getting 480 or 720p, the PS3 upscales it to 1080p and sends a 1080p signal to your tv, if your tv is capable of getting 1080p.

No the PS3 is set to 1080p and BDs play in that on my 1080p monitor but not Netflix.

Bri

I'm watching on a 360 wired to bt infinity and have no problems at all. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to get up to HD but after that it's pretty perfect. :)

I've looked around and indeed Netflix should be 1080p. My monitor says is it's 1080i and I think that would explain my judder problems. As I've said the PS3 is set up for 1080p and my monitor picks up BDs as such but not Netflix. Any ideas on what's going wrong here?

As regards to the severe reduction in picture quality everything had been fine after that first instance until tonight. I had another drop in PQ and pressing select showed a res of 240. I checked the connection speed and that was still over 14 so I suspect that problem is down to Netflix.

Another problem was that tonight's film closing credits were reduced to a small area in the top left corner. That always happens on the TV shows and I wasn't happy but on a film I really enjoyed I found that very bad. I always like to check up on the actors after a good film. This is the first time this has happened after a film for me.

Bri

I've looked around and indeed Netflix should be 1080p. My monitor says is it's 1080i and I think that would explain my judder problems. As I've said the PS3 is set up for 1080p and my monitor picks up BDs as such but not Netflix. Any ideas on what's going wrong here?

As regards to the severe reduction in picture quality everything had been fine after that first instance until tonight. I had another drop in PQ and pressing select showed a res of 240. I checked the connection speed and that was still over 14 so I suspect that problem is down to Netflix.

Another problem was that tonight's film closing credits were reduced to a small area in the top left corner. That always happens on the TV shows and I wasn't happy but on a film I really enjoyed I found that very bad. I always like to check up on the actors after a good film. This is the first time this has happened after a film for me.

Bri
With the first point, I have no idea. I'm totally stumped. Netflix does 1920 x 1080 @60Hz on my tv from my PS3 (I double checked!)

With the drops in picture quality, this happens to me from time to time even though I'm still at 30MB download. I agree its a Netflix issue. And if it stays at 240 for any longer than 30 seconds, just press stop then play again - this resets the buffering.

And yes I get this also. Before the new "cinematic" update, during the closing credits of a film or tv show, the main picture shrank to the top left and there was a lot of text telling you what you just saw, recommendations to watch next, where you can rate it and so on. With the new update, the shrinking still happens, but the text explaining it all does not. If you press Left (or up, I cant remember which) it used to select the top left "credits" and you could press enter to watch it full screen again. Doing the same now still works, but there is no indication when you have highlighted the credits or not, so pressing enter is a gamble!!

With the first point, I have no idea. I'm totally stumped. Netflix does 1920 x 1080 @60Hz on my tv from my PS3 (I double checked!)

With the drops in picture quality, this happens to me from time to time even though I'm still at 30MB download. I agree its a Netflix issue. And if it stays at 240 for any longer than 30 seconds, just press stop then play again - this resets the buffering.

And yes I get this also. Before the new "cinematic" update, during the closing credits of a film or tv show, the main picture shrank to the top left and there was a lot of text telling you what you just saw, recommendations to watch next, where you can rate it and so on. With the new update, the shrinking still happens, but the text explaining it all does not. If you press Left (or up, I cant remember which) it used to select the top left "credits" and you could press enter to watch it full screen again. Doing the same now still works, but there is no indication when you have highlighted the credits or not, so pressing enter is a gamble!!

For a while I kept going into the PS3's settings to see if I'd missed anything but I can't find anything. I've noticed it's output is always 1080i except when playing Blus. I don't have any games to test it as it was bought as a BD player. At the end of the day if it outputs Blus as 1080p it should also be doing it with Netflix.

The other night I had two really bad drops in picture quality in less than an hour. That combined with the judder is ticking me off and I don't feel inclined to continue beyond my free trial period. My wife's very keen on it in the hope that it'll reduce the number of Blus and DVDs I buy. In reality most of what we've watched is stuff I wouldn't risk buying anyway.

Thanks for the tip on getting the credits back. I'll try that asap.

Bri

Just ignore what your monitor is reporting, if you press select and Netflix says it's streaming in 'Super HD' then you've got the best quality your gonna get, don't try and overthink it. Streaming is far from perfect so you'll get dips in quality where it'll go down to 240/480 before ramping back up to Super HD, a lot of fibre customer even have to suffer from this so I figure it's a Netflix issue so I don't think you'll be able to improve things at your end.

I think I'll not continue beyond the free trial but try other sites where there are free trials. I'll see how they compare before deciding whether to stick with one of them.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom