Netflix increasing prices - where would you draw the line? - news discussion

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
As part of its latest quarterly earnings report, Netflix has revealed they are to increase pricing for new subscribers, although existing members can expect a generous grandfathering period.

All things considered, and with VPN costs included (should you use one), what's your upper limit for your Netflix subscription.

I'll start the ball rolling with that I might consider ditching it if it went over £8 a month...

Netflix increasing prices - where would you draw the line? | AVForums

I'd happily pay up to a tenner, Netflix has some great exclusive content and personally I find it's the most robust of the streaming services with the best picture quality. Mark, despite you raving about The Vikings and Black Sails, I'll probably drop Amazon Prime when it comes up for renewal at the end of the year.

I recently had a free month's trial with them. The pic quality often dropped to VHS standard so I'm unwilling to pay for the service as it is now. I certainly wouldn't pay more.

Bri

I recently had a free month's trial with them. The pic quality often dropped to VHS standard so I'm unwilling to pay for the service as it is now. I certainly wouldn't pay more.

Bri
I think this has to be down to your broadband. We have about 30meg from BT and the picture quality is fine. We've done House of Cards and Hemlock Grove and we're currently into season 4 of Breaking Bad and aside from some sibilance on the treble of BB, I can't fault picture or sound quality. And this is in the AVForums home cinema.

I think if they are to increase the prices then they need to really invest in the newest films, i'd probably goto £10 a month if they were getting movies a few months after Sky, but I imagine Sky wont let that happen

Bri
You must have a terrible broadband connection because I only get 3-5meg from the copper wire coming into my house and the picture and sound quality on 'Super HD' programming is excellent. I can't even remember getting buffering with Netflix.

I think if they are to increase the prices then they need to really invest in the newest films, i'd probably goto £10 a month if they were getting movies a few months after Sky, but I imagine Sky wont let that happen
Movies on Netflix are unimportant to me, it's all about the TV programming as far as I'm concerned.

They also need to be more forth coming with regards expiry dates as to when they are removing titles from their servers due to licensing etc.

It is a PIA to go to watch something only to find it was removed a few days or a week ago.

They also need to be more forth coming with regards expiry dates as to when they are removing titles from their servers due to licensing etc.

It is a PIA to go to watch something only to find it was removed a few days or a week ago.

This. Most definately this.

Also, for £10p/m it would make less sense to stay with Netflix when Sky offer the latest movies and entertainment for a fiver extra, plus have live streams of their channels - oh, and a cute little box to watch it all with.

Don't get me wrong, I love Netflix, but it seems like a crazy waiting game a lot of the time, and there seems to be little in the way of a constant flow of new content.

Also, I find less and less titles are available in SuperHD.

I would quite happily pay a tenner a month if there was an offline mode and more content.

Now TV Entertainment is great value at £4.99 a month but you can bet that's going to go up too.

I'd happily pay up to a tenner for Netflix, but would expect to see some greater content and features. One feature i'd love is the ability to create a playlist, and then be able to press play and Netflix would go through the list

I think this has to be down to your broadband. We have about 30meg from BT and the picture quality is fine. We've done House of Cards and Hemlock Grove and we're currently into season 4 of Breaking Bad and aside from some sibilance on the treble of BB, I can't fault picture or sound quality. And this is in the AVForums home cinema.

I get about 13 to 14 mb and the pic quality is fine on the likes of 4od. With Netflix I never suffered buffering as such but the res went down on a fairly regular basis and when I checked the broadband speed it was the usual 13 to 14 so I suspected it was down to Netflix rather than our broadband.

Bri

totally subjective, i wouldnt pay a fiver for it!

We get a decent amount out of it - especially tv shows and kids stuff.

Movies are simply awful - they simply don't rate in our house

£8 and we'd be seriously considering getting rid of it.

crabby

I suspect I'll be ditching my TV licence long before I ditch Netflix.

Provided they don't start dropping content due to licensing issues, provide decent picture quality, and keep the accounts portable across countries, I'm happy to stretch to £10. If any of those start to become problematic, then I'll be looking elsewhere.

I would pay a tenner but it's all about content for me.

It's alright them making their own shows but I want to use it as a replacement for Sky. I need newer stuff that is currently only on Sky. Most of what's on Netflix is old.

Now that I've got it running at p24 (it keeps defaulting to p60), the picture quality matches Sky and the DD plus sound is deffo better.

No streaming probs at all.

I'd like to see content improve if they put the price up. There are strange choices in the catalogue i.e. my little girl can watch Toy Story 3 but not 2 or 1.

I was also hoping for much more in the way of enjoyable factual shows, apart from an amazing one about wingsuit flyers I've seen very little.

It's widely known that the US Netflix catalogue is much better.

for just UK netflix i think £5.99 is too much , there is just not enough content to justify it .
but as i have access to all the netflix content everywhere i cant grumble at £5.99.
i would probably be happy to pay £10 a month for what i am getting.

I get about 13 to 14 mb and the pic quality is fine on the likes of 4od. With Netflix I never suffered buffering as such but the res went down on a fairly regular basis and when I checked the broadband speed it was the usual 13 to 14 so I suspected it was down to Netflix rather than our broadband.

Bri
Wired connection straight into router (without using homeplugs)?

Netflix sucks and not worth 5.99 never mind more. I use USA and UK one and neither are that great. Only have Netflix cos its free for 6 months and kids love pokemon. We had prime for a few months and it was better plus it has Vikings. Kids shows are better there too.

What's everyone using to get the US site, Unblockus?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom