1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some guidance on music streaming

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by barongimpy, Nov 30, 2012.

1. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm basically i'm looking for the most intuitive, easy way of listening to FLACs at home through my Denon 3312 receiver.

The Airplay feature makes things very easy when it comes to mp3s. But when it comes to FLACs, running them through Asset Media Server via my phone or laptop browser with the TV on etc there are various issues such as not being able to pause, rewind or forward a track (just stop), wifi dropouts etc Arranging/sorting is a painful experience too.

What i'd prefer is instant access to FLACs at any time and as smooth a process as possible generally, with minimal interference. I don't have great internet speed where I am but streaming appears only option and from what I gather a NAS Drive with a Sonos system might be the way forward?

What Sonos gear would I actually need though if playing through my current receiver/speakers? Would it just be Sonos Connect?

And if I did eventually want music in another room of the house is it just a case of buying an extra Sonos unit at a later date?

Also regarding good NAS drives, any recommendations for reliability, affordability, ease of use etc?

Cheers
  2. rorton

rorton Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I'll help with the sonos.

If using your receiver as the amp, then your spot on, just need the sonos connect unit.

You will need to have either the Sonos connected hard wired to your network somehow, or invest in a sonos 'bridge'

The sonos system doesnt use your normal Wifi network, it creates its own. Once you have one device (bridge or the connect unit) connected to your network, any other sonos units you buy will wirelessly connect to the other sonos unit.

Dont forget this isnt streaming over the internet, so your internet bandwidth doesnt matter, just your internal network.

With regards to the NAS drive, where do you have your music stored at the moment?
  3. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +423
    Have a look at Simple Audio Roomplayer. Will be similar in concept to Sonos but higher quality and bandwith (Powerline rather than wireless).
  4. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    OP, have you considered converting a few FLAC to Apple Lossless (ALAC) and see if the Denon can cope?
  5. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Great stuff, thanks. Music is currently stored on laptop.
  6. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hadn't at all but will look into it. Assume it's pricier?
  7. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I haven't actually, I suppose because a big reason why using phone/mp3 combo is so easy right now is because much of my music is actually stored on the phone as well whereas if I switched to only really listening to FLACs/lossless, then i'd still need laptop on etc because of lack of storage space on phone and I was hoping for an all-in-one solution to move away from that and just get instant access to the music via a phone/remote.

But suppose it's still worth considering as it'll save ££s.
  8. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +423
    A little - if you compare the Roomplayer II at £499 (the one you would connect to your amp) to the Sonos Connect at £280

Amplified versions Roomplayer I is £599, Sonos Connect Amp is £399. You may need a Bridge as well for Sonos.
  9. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    Have a look at Cocktail Audio X10
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012