Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nas keeps dropping connection?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by cable1210, Jul 11, 2010.

1. cable1210

cable1210 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Purchased a wd mybook world 2tb a while ago and all was working fine. now suddenly it keeps lossing conection to everything. My streamer wont retreve any files and my computer connectes intermediatly.

When the computer losses connection trying to enter the drive retreved an error of "Y is not accessible. the network name cannot be found".

Inernet works fine, I've changed the switch/port on the router, changed the cable and perfored a basic reboot.

Anybody got any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks
  2. shaunav

shaunav Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Did you manage to resolve it?
  3. HeadBanger

HeadBanger Member

Ratings:
    +157
    I had exatly the same issues and solved it by using a static (fixed) IP address and also ensuring that the time clock was using the same internet time source as the PC (under NAS settings).
  4. shaunav

shaunav Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Headbanger.
    I have configured the nas to use a static a static ip. I am however having trouble configuring the time It won't recognise any of the time servers that windows is using saying "no valid NTP server found"

Its a really annoying problem. I can connect ok and transfer files for ten minutes and then it just loses the connection and the only way I can reconnect is to reboot the NAS.
  5. HeadBanger

HeadBanger Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Check if it's able to connect to the web by selecting software update. Does it return 'upto date' - if so it is connecting so (hopefully) just a problem with the time server chosen (I copied the one Windows uses - double click on the time bottom right and find it there).

If no connection then when you set up a static IP did you ensure to fill in the DNS details as well as subnet etc.? Without this it will not be able to connect to the web and find the time server / update software.

Have you reserved the address on your router and are sure it hasn't already given this address to something else on your network via DHCP (ie before you made static)? If you're not sure choose an IP address further up your range that you know won't have been used before.
  6. mickevh

mickevh Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,015
    If you are using static IP addresses (that's one's you assign on the client without using DHCP) you should ensure you choose an address that is outside the DHCP scope (range) your router's DHCP Server is managing to ensure it will never be assigned by the DHCP Server and cause a clash. And of course, you must choose an address that is not in use by anything else on your LAN.

In a SOHO LAN you'd normally expect the DNS server address on a client to be set to the routers IP address - most SOHO routers seem to act as DNS proxies/caches.

There's lots of NTP servers to choose from should the Windows ones not work - just google NTP and I'm sure you'll find some published lists. A quick bit of googling suggests that the MS NTP servers might "only" implement the Simple NTP protocol which might be a problem if your NAS requires "full fat" NTP.

EDIT - BTW for what it's worth the "root" of your problem sounds like it could be a name-to-ip resolution issue. On my SOHO LAN, which uses NetBIOS Name Resolution (most do methinks,) it can take a surprisingly long time for name resolution to sort itself out if something's IP address changes esp. if the Master Browser changes too. I solve this by doing what we do in corporate world and ensuring all my "servers" (NAS in this case) have fixed IP addresses as the previous respondent advocates. Thus, once established, the name-to-ip mapping for servers never changes.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. dundan

dundan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I signed up here, just to post:
    I had the same problem with my LG NAS (N2B1) with Tantalus' custom firmware.
    What helped me after going through most of suggestions above, was to disable UPnP Port Forwarding and reinstall the firmware. After reinstalling I was able to enable UPnP again and have not had a connection problem since. I am not sure this could help on other devices, but if you've tried everything and are looking for something else to do...
    Maybe disabling all services (torrent, media server, etc.) might have some effect, too.
    Good luck and hopefully enjoy a NAS that does what it is supposed to soon!