Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAS Advice - Zyxel NSA310 or D-Link ShareCenter DNS-313

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by plarkster, Jan 23, 2012.

1. plarkster

plarkster Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I've been looking at getting a new NAS to store movies and music on to stream to my Xbox 360 and PS3.

I've currently got a Buffalo Linkstation Live 1TB which is ok, but the web interface is a bit sluggish, and transfer rates could be better - both of which I assume is due to it's weak processor.

I've already got a 500GB SATA 3.5" drive spare, or I could use the drive out of the Linkstation, so don't necessarily need a NAS with a drive installed - I was looking at the Zyxel NSA310 as it has a much faster processor and the web interface looks great. I then came across the D-Link ShareCenter DNS-313 which is obviously cheaper.

Zyxel NSA310 £58.40
    D-Link ShareCenter DNS-313 £37.99

Not looking to spend a fortune, both appear to do what I need so which one would be best? Any alternatives for a similar price? I've got a Gigabit LAN so Gigabit is a must, and it also has to be quiet. I'm also happy with a single bay NAS as I keep backups of the most important things, although I do like that you can connect an external drive to the Zyxel for backups - not sure if you can with the D-Link.

Thanks
  2. knewt

knewt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    These are both quiet interesting NAS devices considering the price and the features offered.
    I kind of prefer the D-link as it is possible to use it as an USB External Drive although software will be needed from windows to be able to read/write to the disk as this is formatted with ext2 file system. The Zyxel instead has the possibility to transfer data across a usb drive directly attached to it's front or rear usb port.
    I am not aware of other devices with gigabit ethernet having all the features as the ones mentioned here.

Max
  3. plarkster

plarkster Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks Max, I opted for the Zyxel as it seemed to offer more features and couldn't resist the version that came with a 2TB drive for £120.
  4. herbs

herbs Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The dlink is an old model, i have a newer model the 320 and its a pile of s***. My advice is to stay away from dlink home nas'es
  5. goldenbrown

goldenbrown Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Tried the Zyxel for a couple of days and it is almost twice as fast as the 323. Got 35-40MB/s when moving large files which is probably not surprising as hardware wise it is much more powerfull that the D-Link ones.
  6. plarkster

plarkster Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Same, so a nice increase over the Buffalo Linkstation for me as I was getting around 20MB/s with that. The web interface on the Zyxel is much nicer too and much much snappier.
  7. goldenbrown

goldenbrown Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Just need to find a way to synchronize folders between the HTPC and the Zyxel.
  8. plarkster

plarkster Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Let me know what you find - I could make use of a similar tool myself!
  9. plarkster

plarkster Member

Ratings:
    +50
    @goldenbrown - have you got the 2TB version with the WDC WD20EARX drive?

If so, what is the noise level like? Mine constantly accesses the disk and is much louder than the drives in my PC, to the extent that I'm going to have to change the drive if I want to keep using it. Not sure if it's the drive or the NAS amplifying the noise though.
  10. davemackenzie

davemackenzie Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Funny you mention the noise, I just bought one that won't respond on my network, I thought it was accessing a lot too but it turned out that the drive wasn't doing anything, the fan itself is causing the rattle that sounds like drive clicks, Do a test, Stick a piece of card in to stop the fan and see if that makes a difference :)
  11. plarkster

plarkster Member

Ratings:
    +50
    The fan is a little clicky, but the main noise in mine is the drive - I've put a spare 500GB drive in and it's much quieter.

I need 2TB though so I'll probably use the WD20EARX in my desktop where the fan noise will hopefully mask the noise, or sell it, and then get a different drive.