Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naim AV2 Test Tone

Discussion in 'Audio Processors & Power Amps' started by Henry, Oct 15, 2005.

1. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel Active Member

Ratings:
    +348
    Anyone tried the AV2 in DVD-A set up against something else like an Arcam AV8 or AV9. I am looking at other legacy players thinking only about 6 channel pass through so to speak. Using my 3800 for analogue out HD tracks, my AV8 is used in digital direct for 2 channel in that system and I am looking for another preamplifier as an alternative (move connections not switching) then for film use DVDA input on my AV8 only

I guess the question is juts how good is the DVDA input on the AV2 and would this be an upgrade for HD audio analogue in ?
  2. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I have a selection of bits and pieces free to anyone who wants to come and collect them (can't be bothered to put them on "that website" or the sales page here)

Pair Linn Saras, Black. Active + stands. As I said, "active", so no internal crossover so you'd need a NAXO/Hicap or better and the extra power amplification to use them. I would try and sell them, but I suspect their value is probably not very much. I did try to hunt down an external passive crossover for them at one time, but one of you techy types might be able to fabricate one. They are IIRC, in VGC (no scratches etcs), but what do expect for nowt?

Pair of wall brackets suitable for Royd A7 or similar sized speaker (used to use them for the rears in my AV setup)

Wall bracket for Rega 3 or Rega 2 turntable. This is stove enamelled black, and has "cups" for the turntable's feet.

I also have a Rega 78 turntable with fitted cartridge which I shall put up for sale, but there is a box of 78s which someone can have for free.

Reason : Hard work this decorating lark. SWMBO decided she wanted extra sockets (in a bedroom) just as I was about to start painting the walls. Electrician turned up and I had to shift a load of stuff in the loft so I could lift some of the flooring for him to get at the wiring. :rolleyes: During the course of this I found lots of stuff that had been hiding up there.
  3. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel Active Member

Ratings:
    +348
    Anyone got a copy of the AV2 review in HIFi News against the TAG and AV8 ?
  4. Henry

Henry Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Hi everyone, long time no post!

All was still going swimmingly until I dropped my Naim remote on the floor and it doesn't seem to want to work any more. Nightmare!

I need to get around to ordering a new one. Has anyone had to replace one and any ideas as to cost?

Next problem is that, in the meantime, I need to control everything so I wanted to programme my DVDO Edge remote to control the AV2 and DVD5. Does anyone know if there's a 3 digit code (or any other kind of code!) to operate it using a universal remote?

Obviously, it can't learn the commands as the other remote doesn't work.

Hope you're all well. Still loving your Naim kit?
  5. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Replacement Naim remotes are around £80-90. If you look on tomtom audio you'll see. Do you need an AV2, DVD5 or HiFi one as I think Naim have now dropped all of their AV range and I can;t see any AV remotes on TomTom's site!!
  6. Clamicpo1

Clamicpo1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    Henry if you would like to borrow one then your welcome.

Charlie
  7. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Henry, you're in luck. If it's the DVD5 type remote you're looking for, I have a spare (legacy of Naim changing my DVD5 when it all went pear-shaped).

Never been used, and I never use my main DVD5 remote anyway (Harmony does fine for me).

If that's what you want, let me know and I'll post it to you. (for cost of postage and packaging)

:thumbsup:
  8. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Oops. Just got it out to check. Alas it's an AV2 remote and lacks the DVD5 etc control functions. Offer still stands, if you want it.

:facepalm:
  9. damenace

damenace Member

Ratings:
    +40
    are you sure it is in fact broken? from time to time my naim remote needs resetting. like all of my naim gear, it just acts up from time to time and needs a reset (just like the dvd5 or av2 need a power down).

if it is broken, I think i'd go with a harmony remote or something like that. they control the dvd5 and av2 and other gear as well whereas the extremly expensive naim remote controls nothing but four naim devices. and if they are in fact 90quid, you'd get two harmonys.
  10. Henry

Henry Member

Ratings:
    +58
    I may well take you up on that kind offer. :)

Again really kind of you and I may also take you up on that offer. Thanks! :)

How do you reset the remote? I've never heard of that.
  11. damenace

damenace Member

Ratings:
    +40
  12. Henry

Henry Member

Ratings:
    +58
  13. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Just one question. This resets to defaults. It hasn't buggered up the DVD5 multiregions settings, has it?
  14. damenace

damenace Member

Ratings:
    +40
    it only resets the remote control, nothing else. no idea why you need to be able to reset a remote control that doesn't learn any functions or controls any non-naim devices, but naim built in a reset and obviously it was necessary :D

glad it worked :smashin:

that would be 89.50 please :D

my system is still the same and i have absolutely no urge to upgrade :)
    somehow BluRay just hasn't be interesting enough for me. maybe 3D will be the next step for me, but the what i have seen so far is not really consumer friendly nor anywhere near good enough to spend money on it.
    imho a real let-down.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  15. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm not interested in 3D until I can view it without special glasses. Have you ever tried putting those awful cardboard things over your spectacles? Also, if you do, what happens with those red/green ones is a nasty washed out image almost totally devoid of colour.

I think I'm turning into a luddite ...

:devil:
  16. karyboue

karyboue Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

My Naim units won't change until some AV3 is available ... or not (-> Naim forum)

So I am buying a 3D BD player : Philips BDP 7500B2 out in may.
    I am, for the moment, not interested in 3D as I don't own a 3D TV but I should buy the next panasonic 3D plasma generation (supposed to be "Pioneer Kuro" technology).
    This player is to replace my low-end Sony BD player and my AppleTV as it plays mkv 720 AAC 5.1 files.
    It also has 7.1 burr-brown outputs :)confused: I suppose very very cheap burr-brown as the player costs only 250€). I'll compare the BD HD decoding VS the AV2 CoreDD/DTS decoding.
  17. damenace

damenace Member

Ratings:
    +40
    you are totally out of date :D:D:D:D

No more cardboard, no more red/green foil stuff.
    Shutter glasses. Proper fancy electronics crap.

I saw the Panasonic 3D Roadshow in Germany, way before Avatar etc. were released in 3D. I was very impressed with how "real" things looked. As if you could actually touch them.
    It's a bit like looking at an object from behind a window vs. standing in front of the object.

BUT that's only for normal 3D, not the "in your face jump out of the screen" nonsense that a lot of people associate with 3D.

The latter is utterly useless. Image gets blurry and unless you are 1m from a 3m screen the effect sucks because you can see the object being cut off where the screen ends.

I also saw "Alice" in 3D and I have to say, the loss of colour, the loss of brightness and contrast was awefull. The image was rather dull. The shutter glasses, and not just on this particular movie nor this cinema, but also on 3D plasmas, swallow lots of contrast/brightness and colour. You have to really crank up your display to get half-decent image quality and even then it's a huge compromise between an enjoyable, vivid image and a more three dimensional image.

Personally, right now, I prefer the vivid 2D image.

Plus those glasses are much heavier and bulkier than cardboard ones and after a 2+hour movie my ears actually hurt a bit from the weight of the (non-adjustable) glasses.

I hear Zeiss/Carl-Zeiss or someone is working on a shutter-glasses-less display. Two displays in one frame somehow being moved/rotated or something so you actually get a 3D image without any glasses. But I doubt it's financially viable and most likely it will only work for a small sweet-spot and few people.

Nevertheless, the life-like 3D effect (again the non-in-your-face part) is something I am looking forward to....in 3-5years time.
  18. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Possibly I am getting old, but that's just a function of living long enough (much better than the alternative). :laugh:

However, from your description of the "shutter" glasses, my main point still stands. I couldn't wear them on top of my normal varifocal glasses, and I suspect that if they ever make them as "clip-ons" for use with ordinary spectacles, then they would still be too bulky/heavy.

Me? I'm sticking to 2D until they solve those problems.

p.s. Don't anyone suggest contact lenses - I've tried them and didn't get on with them.
    and I still have my doubts about "Lasik" visual correction surgery.

:)
  19. Henry

Henry Member

Ratings:
    +58
    No idea. I haven't watched a non region 2 disc for ages now. With the near simultaneous release dates, I haven't bought region 1 in a few years now.

I'll try and dig one out and let you know. :)
  20. damenace

damenace Member

Ratings:
    +40
    believe me, if you followed the reset procedure for the RC, you won't change ANYthing on your dvd5 or av2.

i have done it a dozen times. you don't even need to be in the same room as your dvd5. so it's purely a rc reset.

i think i have watched roughly 10-15dvds in the last 12months. just been to busy or if i did have the spare time, i prefered to follow up on my favorite us shows.
  21. markusp

markusp Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Some major system changes made since I originally posted in this thread over 3 years ago!

My Naim AV2 was buggy as all hell and I eventually left the Naim fold altogether to try other brands such as Arcam, Sunfire, Sugden, Audio Note etc. but I am now back to Naim for the majority of my setup and am quite happy with the results.

Three years ago I had:

Naim AV2
    Naim NAP150
    Naim Nait5i
    Naim CD5i
    Naim Arriva speakers
    Monitor Audio Golds (centre and surrounds)
    Sunfire True Sub
    PS3

My current setup:

Naim Supernait
    Linn Unidisk SC (pre pro duties, CD player, DVD player)
    Linn Axis TT with Graham Slee Amp 2
    Apple TV
    WD TV Live
    Panasonic BD-50
    Naim SBL speakers
    Naim Axxess speaker
    Monitor Audio Gold inwalls for surrounds
    Rel T3 sub

Cheers to everyone and I'm happy to see that this thread is alive and well :)
  22. karyboue

karyboue Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Procedure to make a DVD5 multiregion just in case one needs it :

Turn the unit off.

Maintain the 4 front buttons pressed while turning the unit on

"REG-" appears on the unit screen

Press 0 to make the unit multiregion.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. mj13young

mj13young Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know the AV2 remote codes? I would like to program my universal remote. Thanks
  24. damenace

damenace Member

Ratings:
    +40
    a) no, sorry
    b) the codes are dependent on your universal remote. there is no universal code. each manufacturer uses his own codes.
  25. SRC

SRC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mj13young - I would like to find those AV2 codes myself, have never seem them published anywhere...Quite annoying, especially compared to other manufacturers - Marantz for instance publish a whole Excel spreadsheet of all their AV product codes.....

Naim mostly use RC-5 remote codes, so you could make some guesses, see if anything works, although I guess the AV2 will have some lesser used codes.....If your universal remote has a 'learning' facility, then you could just beam in the remote functions from the AV2 remote.....

The actual codes would be handy though, for more advanced programming & control....has anyone ever seen them ?

damenace - I don't really understand your point re universal remotes. The codes have nothing to do with the universal remote - all they do is store and replicate the original codes, in this case for Naim, Philips RC-5.

For karyboue - Many thanks for that DVD5 region tip. I needed that !

Steve.
  26. damenace

damenace Member

Ratings:
    +40
    misunderstanding.
    by codes you mean the frequencies or their modulations and the "code" that is represented by them.

when talking about universal remotes and codes, then my mind goes to the individual codes you enter into your universal remote.

e.g. Samsung TV is universal-rc code 512
    Panasonic TV is universal-rc code 523
    Naim Audio DVD5 is universal-rc code 826

Those numbers are stored within the universal remote and simply represent a manufacturer or product and are not as such the actual infrared-impulse the rc sends out.
    Each product has one code.

you want the IR-codes which would be one code per function/button on your remote. Basically you are looking for the IR-signals you would "record" with a "learning remote"
  27. SRC

SRC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now understand what you meant!

I always think of the individual 'function' codes, which I found far easier to use when programming my Marantz RC3001 remote, particularly when assigning individual buttons or setting up routines etc.....For instance, the RC5 code for 'Play' on a Marantz BD player is 07-53-00.

Obviously, with a lot of universal remotes, when just replicating the original remote mapping, simply inputting the sole product code as you describe will cover a lot of these individual function codes by relating to a product database...
  28. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Yay!!!

SWMBO has caved in and I've made my appointment to go and audition CDX2.2 vs DVD5/nDAC. I'll have to take my DVD5 with me, as Castle don't have one anymore (discontinued).

They're also looking into doing something about the switches on my Chrome Bumper 135s (got a pair of Olives too), which currently look like the picture attached. That's the result of an abortive repair by my previous (no longer extant) dealer.

Now ... what CDs shall I take with me ... :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

29. trailer

trailer Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Rip the same tracks as wavs and put them on a memory stick too for comparison. You might be surprised!

I'm still waiting for my CDX5 to come back from Naim after being "transportised".

5 weeks later..........................
  30. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Done that. I'll reserve judgement on whether it's better than direct from CD until I've tried it myself.

I've just been on the Naim website to look at various things.

I wonder whether I could just plug a portable hard drive into the USB? Would make a convenient way of keeping large amounts of music in one place. Wonder how it would compare to USB stick for quality?

The nDAC link specifications doesn't tell you if it will playback anything other than wav or CD. I know it has iPhone compatibility, but even the manual doesn't seem to tell you how to connect your iPhone (I assume via USB), and doesn't say what (if any) compressed codecs it will work with. (Looked at manual/specs etc). I'll have to ask the dealer.

The website link to manuals for legacy equipment, although it has a link for old equipment, lacks a manual for my NAT 01 (currently being sold). The one they have is obviously for the Olive version. My NAPST/NAT 01 connects quite differently - my NAPST is one with outputs to power FM/AM and Aux. I've always suspected that is basically a HiCap with extra switching! Just wish I'd made a note of how it is connected before removing it. Of course, it turns out that I no longer have access to the original manual, as it seems to have disappeared since I last referred to it a couple of years ago. I daresay SWMBO "tidied it away" somewhere, though as it normally lives in a filebox with other manuals, difficult to explain. Awaiting input from Naim support on that.

Website legacy manuals also don't cover the old NAXO - just the SNAXO. Hopefully the connections for that are the same, but who knows? Luckily, I still have that connection diagram.

Hope your CDX5 comes back soon.

Have moved my Rega Radio tuner from the study to the living room so that if SWMBO (unlikely) decides to use the tuner on the 52/135 she can still do so.

Contemplating getting one of the Denon DAB tuners for my study. Any good? Haven't been enamoured of DAB in the past (last heard on my son-in-laws Arcam into Naim powered passive SBLS) but willing to give it another go. Wonder if I could use my Galaxie FM aerial for DAB as well if I use a splitter and a coaxial>BNC converter on one output .... have to check that out ...