Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naim 112/150/CD5/Flatcap-What Speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by mattbrum, Jul 3, 2011.

1. mattbrum

mattbrum Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

After some recommendations for speakers, just invested in my first Naim setup, although not collected yet. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to what speakers to run.

I can either stick with my B&W 602 S2's or the Naim Into 2 speakers.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these setups (or similar). Need to start selling things to pay for it all! :(

Thanks
  2. John Martin

John Martin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Just use your current speakers for now until the system has bedded in. After all, you may like the sound a lot!
  3. mattbrum

mattbrum Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the system comes with the Intro II's, I just need to start getting some of the stuff sold!

Just realised my Onkyo SR507 doesnt have front pre outs either.... is there a sensible work around to this without using switch boxes? :confused:

Would love to spend the time to set the system up with both, I think I'll be setting it up in the shed though!:eek:
  4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Naim were an electronics company first and foremost so they came into designing speakers pretty green. They had some clever ideas but fielded speakers that were nice enough but not leaders by any stretch of the imagination. Of course the blind loyalty and formidable, largely deserved, reputation they'd built up saw to it that these speakers were heralded as if they were.

The Intro is a boppy little speaker, looks cute to, but was off the pace when it came out. Even on the qualities Naim cherish; pace, rhythm and timing, Linn's little Kan hammered it into the ground. Basically, irrespective of what kind of speaker you want there is some other speaker that's better than the Intro. It's not a bad speaker, it's just not good enough.

I'd look at classic Linn speakers, Neat, Shahinian or if you want something more laid back Epos or Harbeth or Spendor.
  5. mattbrum

mattbrum Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I better start making the shed more comfortable.... :devil:

I'm in trouble already, Ill keep them both and try them.

The decks and the AVR are going to have to go though :thumbsdow
  6. surayne

surayne Member

Ratings:
    +57
    How much space do you have and what is the budget?

In my experience Naim amps can be a little bright, but they're superb when paired with the right speakers. I've really enjoyed listening to a pair of Quad ESL 63s powered by a Nait 5i; with the B&W 602s I got a bit fatigued.
  7. mattbrum

mattbrum Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The budget is more than spent unfortunately at the moment, I have the choice of the Intro's that come with the new setup, or my existing 602's. One set really needs to go to another home though!

I'm inclined to sell the 602's and some other bits to help pay for my new bits asap.

I would have thought that Naim would have made sure there speakers pair with their kit reasonably well.....