1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Lounge DIY

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by ramdor, Aug 12, 2007.

1. dbs2

dbs2 New Member

Ratings:
    +206
    What a FANTASTIC room :thumbsup:

I was hoping to steal a couple of your ideas, but now that i have seen the room finished, to be honest i would love to do something very VERY similar....... :)

Also have to agree with Jagdeepp - Fantasic View, and a stunning Last Photo :smashin:

Is the BBQ before the main Film or after ?? :D:D
  2. bungy1

bungy1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    stunning build. and view. dont think i saw it mentioned on here but where in the country are you? ok i dont want your address, but which county?

:hiya:
  3. orc brute

orc brute Member

Ratings:
    +12
    sod hd , just look out of the window :D
  4. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    South Wales, UK :) :hiya:

Richie.
  5. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +531
    my friend... i've just got in from work. sat here for a whole minute just looking at the new pic of your view. wow. I could sit and write poetry looking out there. so picturesque and calming. "I wondered lonely like a cloud....."

One advantage about your place is that the burglars can come round and steal your plasma, projector and speakers but they couldn't steal that view.. its priceless. sell me your house... I'll do a trade for a snazio network media player if you are interested? can throw in a couple of xbox 360 games..:rotfl:
  6. albriscoe

albriscoe New Member

Ratings:
    +535
    I`ll top that with a caravan all cabled up to internet, oh! and there`s a house next door with a basement:D

Richie thats looks ace!!!

Your doing a great job with the renovation and I can tell with the finish that you`re a bit like me and like it all clean and simple. The room looks stunning and that view is beautiful.

Top marks mate :thumbsup:

Allan
  7. lumiere

lumiere Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Fantastic build.......... just fantastic!
    A quick question how tall are your ceilings (e.g. height from the ground)?

If I had a place like that I wouldn't want to go to work. Just stay in all day...... what a view and HT.
  8. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    2.56m or 101 inch.... quite high considering

Richie.
  9. iwilson16

iwilson16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ramdor,

I was wondering how you have finished the underside of the pelmet that houses
    the projector screen ....

Is it left open? Or enclosed, with maybe MDF and screws?

I am considering something similar, and am unsure as to how to hide the screen
    but still provide access if necessary.

Is there much space in the palmet around the screen casing? For example,
    can you remove the screen from its mounting?

What are the dimensions of the screen casing and inside of the pelmet?

Thanks,
    Ian
  10. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    The underside is closed off with mdf, with routed edges so that it sits inside the plasterboard but overlaps slightly. The screen can be removed after the mdf cover is removed (held on with some small screws yet to be capped in those small white dome plastic caps).

No idea what the case size is or the internal dimensions of the pemet. Will try to remember to measure it when I next have the cover removed.

Richie.
  11. bphhm

bphhm Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey looks great!

Question (maybe I missed it in the thread). How is the sound with your center behind the screen?

I see you are not using a Tab-tension screen. You have to be carefull hanging your screen in front of a fireplace because the heat will give you problems with "wrinkles" in the screen.
  12. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Ooops, sorry for the slow reply ;)

As far as the sound goes, as soon as I switched over to the onkyo from the sony I noticed a problem with the center channel. It was all muffled. So out with the stanley and two squares cut in the screen. If it didnt work it would have been an AT screen anyhow. So basically I now have two 6 inch or so squares cut infront of the center speaker, in the black drop area at the top of the screen. Works a treat, no sagging, and the sound is perfect. The speaker has black cloth over the front so you dont notice the two cut outs at all.

Heat on the fire, yep, wont be watching a movie when that fire is lit (once a year possibly), so screen up.

Richie.
  13. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Not really being doing that much here AV wise recently, just trying to finish off the bathrooms/ensuits etc. I did however install this over the last day or so....

So, been wrecking the place trying to fit this 1024x768 touch screen (touchtronix ipTouch 121N). Eventually, it will have a plan of the house that shows you speakers, lights, movement, cctv, weather, temperatures etc. You will be able to press on the lights and stuff to turn things on and off, when I eventually get around to writing/setting up the software ;)

It runs a thin client with no moving parts. Uses a terminal services type thing over a lan. You can have 10 of these screens on one pc.

The wall that it had to go into was solid engineering 60 year old brick (read very hard) that divides the kitchen from the lounge. So I started on the kitchen side....bit of plaster needs filling here and there, not a problem. The box is nearly 90m deep, so basically I had to cut into the bricks from the kitchen side, leaving about 30mm brick at the back of the box.

[​IMG]

looking good...

[​IMG]

UNTIL !!!!!!!! I go and look at the lounge side and find all the plaster had cracked and pushed off the wall due to excessive SDS drills and lump hammer action on the kitchen side :) So bascially I had to put a hole right the way through taking out the bricks. What a mess on the lounge side !!!!!! :(

[​IMG]

Anyway, the kitchen side is sorted, except for a final coat of white paint on the wall. The lounge side needs plastering tomorrow, after the 30+mm cavity was filled with plasterboard and mondo quantities of plasterboard glue goooooop.

[​IMG]

Going to sink a box into the wall to put a 3 amp fused spur from that double socket, so I can get rid of the plug/cable. Then i'll put a blanking plate over that single socket box where the hidden cat5 wiring is.

Richie.
  14. Valo^

Valo^ Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Hi ramdor,

First of all your build looks stunning :thumbsup:

Do you have any more information on the touch screens and software? I look forward to seeing pics of them once there fully up and running!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi tumbler, glad you like the place. It is coming along slowly :)

The screen is from http://www.touchtronix.com/ . The one I have has the inbuilt ncomputing l200 device which turns it into a thin client terminal remote from a main pc over ethernet. The only downside with it is that it cant do 25+fps. It manages about 15fps so is fine for cctv etc, photoframe, home automation, music selection etc etc etc

Anyway, i'll be writing some software to integrate cinemar's mainlobby (http://www.cinemaronline.com/mainlobby.html) into cbus and the comfort alarm system I have here. So it is going to be a while before I can get a plan of the house on the screen with working light bulbs etc.

Richie.

PS: Happy New Year everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas too :)
  16. albriscoe

albriscoe New Member

Ratings:
    +535
    Hi Richie

that touch screen looks the dogs mate and I can`t wait to see it all up and running.

I think I`ll build near you next time and you can do the electrickery for me

cheers mate and happy new year to you all down there

Allan
  17. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Yep Allan, the screen is pretty sweet I have to say. My brother managed to find a 50% off token for it somewhere so picked it up for a lot less than they normally go for thankfully. There wont be any shortage of screen space with it being 12.1 inch and 1024x768.

One thing I am umming and arrrring about is the back light. Due to the fact that it is a remote client it doesnt have any power management options through the operating system, the backlight of the screen is always on (although you can display a screen saver etc). There is a button behind the front bezzle that lets you turn off the back light and set an idle time for it to turn off, but having to tap the screen to get it to display anything once it has turned off is bit naff.

I am hoping that I can solder two fine wires onto the pins of that button, and using a relay connect it to the alarm system. Then when the alarm detects motion in the room it will turn on the screen. The ncomputing part of it stays powered up and uses less than 5w of power.

I have probably got less than two weeks of work inside the place now to finish everything off, so i'll be putting up a few piccies soon :)

Richie.
  18. newstuart

newstuart Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Hi ,

I read somewhere on the Mainlobby forums someone had intergrated a motion sensor into one of these to wake the screen up as you approach it.

Seemed like a good idea to me

(BTW - I have the Mainlobby suite and a touchscreen monitor that I will eventually get around to setting up)
  19. albriscoe

albriscoe New Member

Ratings:
    +535

Are you a scientist ??
  20. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    yep :eek:

Richie.
  21. DCFC79

DCFC79 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Nice pics of a good lounge setup richie
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Cheers :) Not done much else in there since the pics, other than watch loads of hidef movies of course :)

Only problem now is, with all my blurays/hd-dvd's backed up I have 190mb free on my 2.8tb raid5 array :(

Richie.
  23. hopalong_ie

hopalong_ie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of an upclose pic of you av rack, how did you do the cables to the racks etc.

Thanks
  24. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi hopalong,

The camera is out of action at the moment, cant find the damn canon lithium power charger.

However, the pillar to the left of the rack is just a stud work false wall. There are 2-3 inch diameter cut outs on the side wall at the back of the rack and all the wires go into the pillar. All my cat5 points, speaker terminals/posts, tv outlets and mains outlets are inside that pillar.

Richie.
  25. mwomwell

mwomwell Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Ramdor - a question to you - with such a well finished lounge / Av room did you look at the possibility of using a tab tensioned electric screen in your system. I have a 108" diagonal, manual, pull down screen with my system but I do notice ripples in the screen surface - very difficult to get it to hang flat when extended - do you find the same with your screen.
  26. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I did yes, but as the whole room is a compromise (being white, hard floor, hard walls etc). I decided that the expenditure wasnt worth it for my first av room attempt. Possibly in the future I might upgrade as the whole thing can be removed without wrecking the pelmet.

The screen is an ebay job from hcvs (read cheap'ish) and whilst some who have them have noticed hot spots I dont seem to have such problems on mine. When I first got it, I let it hang down most nights (oo er) to let any ripples 'fall' out. Not really got any tbh now. The only thing I notice is that the sides curl slightly, say about 1-2 inches in, but I am not overly concerned.

Richie.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Bennh

Bennh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Wow gotta say Your lounge looks great, the shelfing looks really nice with the glass and i love the ceiling with the blue lighting.
  28. cheltenham2004

cheltenham2004 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    :eek: What can you say I want I want I want.... A great home project look forward to seeing more as you go along your wireing room would be a good photo to have now:thumbsup:
  29. albriscoe

albriscoe New Member

Ratings:
    +535
    well in that case mate can you help out with my media centre problem as its doing my head in. If you think you can I will ring you if thats ok and you pm me your no.

cheers Allan
  30. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow Active Member

Ratings:
    +234
    fantastic project Richie, you must be very pleased :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1