Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Lounge DIY

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by ramdor, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi there,

New to the forums so I thought I would say hi :) and post up some pics of the renovation we are doing to the house here.

This was the house last aug/sept time. We are still doing the insides at our own pace.

[​IMG]

The lounge looked like this 6 weeks ago....

[​IMG]

After loads of studding/plastering/you name it....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it now looks like this....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some blue rope led on top of the pelmet....

[​IMG]

The alcoves either side of the fireplace/screen are going to have glass. AV equipment on the right ornaments on the left.

This is a pic after I got the panasonic pt-ae1000e set up. Out of the box image, no tweaking....

[​IMG]

I have a problem at the moment with a cheapo 15m hdmi cable I am using. Get pixel loss/curruption at anything greater than 50mhz @ 1920x1080 from the HTPC. I tried a 6m mark grant cable I had spare and it worked fine. Have ordered a MG 10m cable so hopefully that will sort it.

Still a few more things in there to do, like a rug, hanging some sound damping material/pictures, but it is getting there :)

Richie.
  2. jrp023

jrp023 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    looks awesome, very impressed
  3. C.Wolf

C.Wolf Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Show off:D Looks great. Now after all your hard work you can sit back and enjoy it.:smashin:
  4. dbs2

dbs2 New Member

Ratings:
    +206
    very VERY Nice...... :thumbsup:

I have been looking for insperation for my next place and yours is full of it.... I have been thinking of putting a feature pelmet all round the room with the screen in and feature lights... and here one is with blue lights above aswell..... SUPERB...... (What lights have you used, and what are you controlling them with please...... <wipes dribble from corner of mouth> :D
  5. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    The lights are just silver satin aurora directional downlighters (http://www.aurora.eu.com/). They are 240v ones though. Just didnt fancy having 160+ transformers through the house ;) The whole house goes back to a wiring room. The rope led is just some cheapo stuff I found on the net. I looked at some rgb stuff but the cost was &#163;40 vs &#163;800. I think there are 12 or so 1.5mm lighting cable feeds into the lounge, so most of it can be turned off/dimmed/whatever independently.

Lights are run via cbus, rooms have in ceiling speakers although not decided on what equipment to use for them yet, cat6, ct125, comfort alarm system. 8 x 8channel dimming cbus modules, and 1 x 12channel relay module at the mo.

The wiring room, still a bit of a mess in that oldish pic, trunking hides most of it....

[​IMG]

Richie.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. dbs2

dbs2 New Member

Ratings:
    +206
    :eek: OMG, i would not know where to start... i was thinking of more stuff in my next place, but that lot is .... well..... alot of stuff.... :smashin:
  7. albriscoe

albriscoe New Member

Ratings:
    +537
    Hi Rich :hiya:

that looks like a serious renovation mate, I thought about renovating before going for self build and I know what you mean regarding the amount of wiring as we`ve run about 11 miles of cables of various description which can be seen in my thread somewhere.

Your viewing room looks well so keep up with pics as it all grows

cheers Allan :smashin:
  8. dadsgreatescape

dadsgreatescape Member

Ratings:
    +2
    :smashin: Absolutely stunning!! :smashin:

What a crackin room you've created there Rich, obviously a lot of time, thought and effort has went into this - not to mention more consumer units than the average housing estate.

Keep the pictures coming - looking forward to reading more.

Cheers
    :smoke::beer:
  9. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Fantastic job. My jaw dropped when i saw that pic of the rope lights all lit up and the jaw dropping effect it projects. Wow.

Need to ask.. How did you build that pelmet round the room. No pictures of your progress in that regard and thats the bit that most stands out for me. Can you please tell me how you did it? Did you do a frame with battens, if so what size? Also is that mdf on the frame or plasterboard? Will be bookmarking this for reference, all detail massively appreciated.
  10. Example

Example Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Wow, those lights are simply stunning :thumbsup:

Would love somthing like that when i get my own place
  11. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    My camera was out of action when we were doing that part of it. Couldnt find the charger.

Anyway, basically, it is 2x2inch wood, bolted to the walls on all side about 12 inches down from the ceiling. Then 2x2 wood screwed through the ceiling into the floor joists around the ceiling about 10 inches off the walls. Then make a load of 12 inch long hangers that get nail gunned into the front of the wood that was fixed to the ceiling. Then attach to the hanger and back to the wall the bottom the horizontal piece, I think mine were about 16 inch long. Then a 3x2 inch piece on the front which gives the 1 inch upstand to hide led rope etc behind. Cover all in plasterboard and plaster. I put in some hatches at each end so I could run cables down the the pelmet.

Main reason for doing it was due to the number of cables being run. We didnt want to go running that many through the floor joists so it made a great looking feature that has a real purpose.

A quick pic...

[​IMG]

Richie.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  12. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I read through your thread earlier on, very impressive :) Great looking place you are building there, with some impressive tech. Makes me think I should have gone for a new build myself, running cables through 60 year old floor joists, no attic space and chasing endless walls built from engineering bricks has been fun :thumbsup:
  13. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Thank you for the detailed diagram.. Still slightly lost as to how you managed to attach the battons onto the wood on the wall. Have you used a nail gun and fired directionally at a diagonal? Sorry, sounds like an amateur question but i'm looking to emulate this effect in one of my rooms and just wanted to be clear.

May i also ask whether you've coved the top end for any particular reason? is it to bounce the light of the rope lights more effectively off the wall?

Sorry for the volume of questions. I'm intrigued and very impressed by the build.
  14. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35

Yep diagonally from both sides with a nail gun. 90mm nails I think they were. Using a nail gun is a must for this type of work imo. You remove the shock/banging/movement that a hammer introduces.

Also, all exposed surfaces were covered in plasterboard. The underside and front face upstand on the 3x2 were skimmed with regular plaster. The front face with the coving and the shelf etc were skimmed with some pre mixed white wall board finished and layed with a small plastic blade then sanded. It was just too small an area to get a plastering trowel in there. Having a finish on it and painted white gave a much greater reflection of the blue.

I also left pull strings up there to help with the old wire pulling.

Richie.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. elootos

elootos Member

Ratings:
    +136
    How are you finding the sound in there at the moment; is it quite reverberant?

Also, is that MediaPortal you're running? How do you get on with it?

I must say I do like the lighting you have and am trying not to go green with envy at you having a 1080 pj.
  16. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Well, before the pelmet went in and the room was empty there was a real bad echo in there. The pelmet seemed to stop this though totally. I now have a large rug down on the tiled floor and will be looking at making some diy wall hanging sound dampening. I am not really a dedicated audiophile but before the furniture went in, the audio did sound 'messy' even to my untrained ears I have to say. I am hoping that with some large wall pictures, some sound dampening slabs/foam/etc that it can only improve.

MediaPortal, yep. It is a media center box, but for me there just isnt enough configuration in MC. I can have different codecs selcted for tv, dvd, etc. I also have two Hauppauge 1300 cards and one Hauppauge 4000 in there at the mo. Will be probably adding another 4000 at some point.

Eventually I will be moving all the cards into a server machine, and sitting it in the node0 wiring room. They do some software (beta) called TVServer which enables streaming/recording/etc from a central server to their MediaPortal client.

Only thing with MP is that it isnt as stable as MC, due to it being in a state of constant development/beta.

Richie.
  17. inzaman

inzaman Moderator

Ratings:
    +766
    Just to add to the above thats some renovation Richie. I love the rrom and the pelmet around the room, awesome stuff :smashin:
  18. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Cheers for the comments folks :) Got the 10m hdmi cable installed today, now working at 1920x1080p goodness from the htpc :) Roll on the end of the month when the Onkyo 905 turns up !!! I'll put some more pics up when the glass shelves etc go in.

Richie.
  19. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies if you gave further details and I missed them further up the thread, but you said the blue LED rope lighting was 'just some cheapie stuff' you found on the net.
    Please tell us where - the idea that you got it all for £40 is very good.
    I know you can get regular rope lighting for that sort of money, but LED - wow.

It looks very impressive by the way. I'm about to put some X10 stuff in the cinema - can't afford c-bus !

Regards

Bob.
  20. albriscoe

albriscoe New Member

Ratings:
    +537
    Hi Richie

Can I ask what factors made you decide on the Onkyo 905, I was thinking about the Arcam AVR350 but have been told the Onkyo is a beauty

cheers Allan
  21. tojo

tojo Member

Ratings:
    +9
    What a great job - very impressed. I really should get my fingerout and make a start on my front room... ;)
  22. ps3_fanboy

ps3_fanboy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks great, I love them blue lights :thumbsup:
  23. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35

I spent ages reading up on the net about different amps, configurations, speakers etc etc. I narrowed it down to a Onkyo 875 or a Yam rx-v2700. I didnt really want to spend over a grand on the amp side of things, because I needed a projector, full speakers setup, lcd/plasma... yadda yadda.

After long deliberations, and even after running the cables for front presence speakers on the Yam, I decided to go for the 875. Then after a weekend of thinking about it some more, decided to fork out the extra and go for the 905. After looking into auto hdmi switch boxes, network streaming audio servers you name it I just wanted a single box solution and the 905 seemed to do it all.

4 hdmi in
    2 hdmi out (one for tv, one for projector)
    better psu's than the 875 (three I think, one for amp, two for audio and vid processing circuits)
    network receiver
    2nd and 3rd zone pre-out
    THX Ultra2
    decodes just about every audio signal known to man
    video scaler able to upscale all sources to hdmi
    hdmi 1.3a
    hopefully future proof enough for the next 5 years
    black case

Just an all round beast I think, 25kg in weight. Something to note, I have not listened to it. I have listened to a 875 though which sounded very nice.

The only concern I have is that the thing is very deep, 485+ mm. I don't know if that measurement includes the volume knob on the front and the speaker posts on the back, or just the case itself. Not a problem if you have it on a rack that you can move, but it is going to be a tight fit in the alcoves I have made. Lucky that the backing to those alcoves are spaced 2 inches off the back wall to allow cables to be routed. I might have to cut a square out or something behind the amp so that the connectors/cables dont get squashed.

I went for some Q-Acoustic speakers after going for a listen at a local hifi shop. I have a pair of the 1050s, 2 pair of the 1020s for rears, the 1000c center and two 1000s active subs. For the money they sound absolutely fantastic on my old sony amp. I have split the sub signal to both subs and it seems to work fine.

Something I have noticed when playing some music last night rather loud, and having a 1920x1080p xp desktop being displayed, is that when the base really kicks in, there is a tiny bit of shimmer/blur on the projected image, noticable on the text mostly. Might have to look into this, the pelmet that the projector is attached to might be vibrating somewhat :) I'll check the walls next time, to see if they are moving ;)

Re the rope led BeerDrinker. You are right, it is normal rope stuff, 240v, not the led equivalent that seemingly costs double. I did some ringing around when I was trying to source it. Some of the led stuff I looked at had multicontrollers that upon power loss would not come back to their previous setting. So, if you set it to be fixed leds, it might power back on in a flashing mode for example. So those were a no go. I couldnt get any info on the transformers that the cheapish led stuff used either, becuase the cbus dimming modules need transformers that are compatible with a leading edge phase controlled source. In the end I just went for regular 240v rope from here. It gets slightly warm, but has a nice throw of light, so in the end it worked well.

Richie.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply on the ropelight. It is good to see just how well it performs in your pictures. I will definately go for some of this and put it on an X10 dimmer module. I had not heard of the company you got yours from, I was expecting it to be from here.
    When I get a bit closer with my project I hope to post some pictures as well. Like everything it all takes time.
    Although I have a Node 0 for my Cat5 distribution I am not using it as a power/lighting control center as well. It's all a bit too late to install fresh wiring everywhere here. Good to see the pictures of your Node 0.

Regards

Bob.
  25. elootos

elootos Member

Ratings:
    +136
    BeerDrinker: I'm sure it's all the same stuff but I have installed some rope-light recently from the site you mention, TLC Direct, and am very pleased with it as well, just whack some mains into it and off you go. I've actually doubled mine up with 2 runs side by side to make it that extra bit brighter. I believe the lamps inside are rated to last 25,000hrs so no worries about it packing up either.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Elootos,
    I guess it probably is the same stuff. Glad your pleased with it. It certainly looks good in Richie's pictures.
    For me it's going to go around the top edge of a drop section of ceiling containing a fiber optic starlight effect. ( As soon as I get the rest of the room finished that is !)

Regards

Bob.
  27. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Couple more pics, after a bit more sorting :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one out through the french doors...

[​IMG]

Eventually, when the boat comes back in (it has truely sailed out after all the renovation work), and when the house is finished, the 42inch mirai will make its way to the games room. Hopefully I will be able to invest in a 50 inch or larger pioneer or something plasma for the lounge. Distance from back sofa to front wall is about 5.5 meters and the 42inch mirai seems a tad small at that distance.

Richie.
  28. mjsmyth

mjsmyth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow.

mj
  29. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    ......I am SO jealous it hurts.....

Probably one of the most unique and impressive builds i've seen on the forum when it comes to getting the right blend between lounge and home cinema. Oh and that view :eek:

Quick question. Did you get those glass shelves cut to size? How did you hang them? The supports must be fairly strong. Remember that i was going to consider something similar but the supports for the glass that i saw in B&Q etc were way too pricey. I gave up in the end..

Oh and wow... what a view. Wouldnt know whether to sit in front of your 1080p full hi def image from your projector or to admire that scenery which for me way beats any view out into any city.. Did i say wow? :thumbsup:
  30. ramdor

ramdor Member

Ratings:
    +35
    The shelves are 10mm toughened glass with all sides polished and rounded, cut to about 580mm x 480mm. They were &#163;20 each from the local glass guy we know here.

From the ground up we have screwed 20mm mdf into the side walls of the alcoves. The mdf has a bevel on the front vertical to make it look integrated. A lid was then placed on top of the first set and tiled in black slate stuff. The 'boxes' at the bottom are going to hold logs for the fire. Then another set of mdf side pieces were made, screwed to the side walls, sat on the shelf, and then a glass shelf sat on top of the mdf sides. Continue all the way up. When you consider the costs of hifi racks/display cabinets these days it was quite reasonable.

Glad you like the view :) One from a foggy day....

[​IMG]

Richie.