Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Little Bedroom Build

Discussion in 'Members' Home Cinema Gallery' started by happpzzz, Feb 3, 2012.

1. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys :hiya:

ive just signed up to the forums, ive always been interested in audio, i love music i mean love music, day goes better when your bopping along to anything with a beat :D

i suppose my first venture into music was when i had my dell inspiron 5150 laptop, i purchased a 24bit external soundcard and bought a AIWA hi-fi of some sort which accepted optical in as a source

then as time went on i just stuck with the hi-fi as it catered to my needs and as the pc/laptops changed and upgraded the audio kinda took a back seat

and as i started to get back into audio again after discovering lossless audio, with intentions to buy dedicated amps speakers etc, i went of work with a slipped disc and irritated disc in my spine, now a year later im back at work and on a road to full recovery i decided i wanted to treat myself

during my year off my setup was

Acer LED 24" Monitor (2xHDMI)
    Custom Built PC (i7 Setup with various trick bits)
    HTPC (Antec HTPC Case, AMD setup, 7TB of Media, Photo's, ripped BR & DVD etc, Using Mediaportal as a frontend)
    AWIA Hi-Fi (cant remember the model number)
    Xbox360 via HDMI

now admittally its not a very good setup in terms of audio, but when i wanted to watch a film it worked and when i wanted to listen to music it was loud etc.

i spent alot of time perfecting my HTPC software wise to get it to do everything i wanted, and i was happy with the results

then after losing a HDD and then killing my i7 cpu, i bailed out on everything sold anything and everything that worked, and purchased a MSI CR620 laptop, kept my Acer Display and Xbox and Aiwa Hi-Fi and made do with it.

So now im back at work and stuff, i want something nicer to come home to so, i donated my Hi-Fi to the local garage, throw the Acer in the loft

First thing i bought was my Microlab FC360 2.1 Setup, purely to hold me over until i bought the good stuff :D i was impressed with the sound to be honest considering the money i spent!

[​IMG]

So this brings us to Wednesday 1st of Feb, i bought a new TV, LG 32LV450U
    the reason i bought the this particular TV is purely it ticked all the boxes, 100Hz, FullHD etc etc

[​IMG]

i also at the same time got a tv stand, black glass etc as it goes with the theme of my bedroom
    i set it all up that night, bought it all at about 7pm and it was all home setup and running by 9ish

at this point all i had working on it was xbox, i rented Tokyo Drift in HD to watch that night, and proceeded to setup TV colours etc, and i was blown away with the quality i mean i didnt exactly break the bank with the tv but christ for the money i think its very very good.

[​IMG]

Thursday 2nd Feb, decided i wanted freeview, went out and bought a cheap aeriel

[​IMG]

dont have any pictures of it installed but it must be atleast 4.5ft tall, thing is massive! and it works well for a cheap aerial, according to my signal tester it gets ~60db which is slightly above average im lead to believe

setup the router in the stand and stuff and made a couple of CAT5 cables to use for the laptop and xbox and stuff

also setup a piece of software called TVersity, it allows me to feed my media from laptop to the xbox so i can watch it on the tv, software is clunky but works well, im very impressed with its transcoding on the fly function no hiccups as of yet

[​IMG]

this is how things look now.

im currently researching Amps & Speakers, im very very limited in terms of speaker space but im determined to get the best out of my limited space.

the Amp will mainly play music, with xbox and movies as a lesser priority, the laptop will be connect to the amp via HDMI for music, i use a piece of software called Mediamonkey to manage my music, i have no intention of changing that piece of software.

but yeah that sums me up for now, any ideas welcome :)
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. warrenhewitt10

warrenhewitt10 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Good start definately, but make sure you get some speakers soon, have a look on eBay or gumtree, can often find decent gear on there for very little :)
  3. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    yeah im looking and looking, but im finding hard to find something which fits in the limited space i have

ive decided i want a Denon 1912, seems perfect for my bedroom, and i should be able to use it when i get my own place, seems like a decent investment

speakers i have no idea...
  4. ReaperX2112

ReaperX2112 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I've been looking at the Microlab FC360 speakers, would you recommend them? I don't suppose you have tested out the Creative T40 Series II speakers have you? I'm looking at the two different sets and am a little unsure which one to go for.

5. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I haven't listened to the T40, so I can't really comment, best thing to do is pop into a pc world/curry and have a listen

T40 is only a 2.0 system so I can't imagine the low end being to good
  6. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    hi, i always keep my eye out for bedroom setups as my bedroom is my pride and joy lol. Liking the look of the plans, avr and speaker package is definately the way to go. I am in the process of trying to decide what to buy pretty sure about getting an onkyo 609 but not sure what speakers to partner it. Keep the updates coming

Regards
    James
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. scot360

scot360 Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I definitely prefer the second mock up sketch.

Is your kit list all for £1000 for brand new kit?

I know it has been mentioned about ebay and gumtree but I think you will get a better deal for kit in the classifieds if you are willing to wait and see what is up for sale. Especially speakers and subs.
  8. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah it all added up to about £860 I think, I don't mind waiting for things to come up in classifieds etc

I've been working on another sketch which I'll try and finish tomorrow and upload
  9. ReaperX2112

ReaperX2112 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I did drop in today and have a listen to the T40 but it's difficult to compare it to a system you haven't listened to, especially if it isn't available in most retail outlets.
  10. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Right ive manage to finish my room designs to try and give me a rough idea of what i want

This is currently what my room looks like:

[​IMG]

Design 1:

[​IMG]

Design 2:

[​IMG]

Design 3:

[​IMG]

Design 4:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Design 5 (To Scale):

[​IMG]

Design 6 (To Scale):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What does everyone think?

ive also decided to build another home server and include a HTPC, transcoding to xbox is too much hassle sometimes and ill have more control over the HTPC

Equipment:

AV:
    Marantz NR1602
    Dali Zensor 5 Floorstanders
    Dali Zensor Vokal
    Cambridge Audio S90 Subwoofer

HTPC:
    Wesena E5 (Ticks all the boxes)
    Intel SandyBridge (G850, maybe an i3)
    SSD for OS
    nVidia 9400GT (lying around, reason ive choosen this is, i intend to run XBMC on Ubuntu and nVidia has better Linux driver support not to mention VDPAU)

Wesena eHDD Storage Case, full of as HDD's as i go along

I want to control everything via iPhone/iPad, so i have been reading in the Logitech Harmony Link, seems the most logical solution.

i was thinking of adding LED's etc, but i think it might be too much for the bedroom

if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to mention im all ears
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  11. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    small update, finished a couple more designs

and started getting a list together of what i need and stuff
  12. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ok well i decided on design 5 and started today

Empty the cupboards

[​IMG]

Take Jakki of the wall :(

[​IMG]

Ive got a silly amount of Cat5 running in my room:

[​IMG]

Errr i hate trucking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The desk is the exact witdh of the new cabinet im getting, and the DVD stand is slightly smaller than the floorstanders im after

[​IMG]

Were i want the TV

[​IMG]

My center eyeline is the marked by the masking tape, TV too high maybe?

[​IMG]
  13. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ahh **** masking is wonky....typical

[​IMG]

Temp mess tilll i chase the wall and the cabinet arrives

[​IMG]
  14. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Hi, coming along nicely. It's amazing all the stuff you find out when your start clearing things lol i have been sorting things myself as i coming to the end of my bedroom project. Just adding the new kit now. Looking at your kit list your going for some dali speakers i plan to get the bookshelf whereas you're going for the floorstanders. Might be better if you could move your tv down a bit nearer to eye level but i know it not always possible due to other things. By the way chasing the cables is the best thing i ever did as all my wires go behind my unit and underneath so cannot be seen. If i were you i'd either cover the kit or move it out of the room as dust will get everywhere. If you need any advice just ask.

Regards
    James
  15. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    yeah im gonna move the TV another 6 inches lower, but i can measure it properly once the cabinet arrives

yeah i will be moving all the electrics out the room, and covering the cupboards and bed with dust sheets, whats the best way to chase the wall? i was thinking of using a cold chisel, less mess, more time, or renting a wall chaser, but the mess it will leave behind will be ridiculous

just waiting for everything to turn up now and i can get cracking really wanna get all this finished by the end of next week, then at the end of the month i can place the order for Receiver and Speakers
  16. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    That should do it but tbh you do it at whatever heights best for you.
    Well tbh mate there are loads of ways but some are easier than others. They all have they positives and negatives. Because your living in the house i.e. its not a complete refurb i'd stay away from angle grinder (neat and fast but will create an apocalyptic amount of dust) Same goes for a wall chaser aswell. I would mark out all of the areas you want to channel out on the wall. Then you could either stich drill down the lines and knock out the spoil in the centre with a hammer and chisel. A little time consuming but prevents loosening any other areas of the wall while your bashing it with your hammer. You could also use a SDS drill with roto stop function and use a chasing bit a bit dusty but fast, you have to watch out that your plaster is solid though or you'll end up stripping the whole wall lol. Or you could just stick with a hamer and chisel hard work but a proven way to do it like i said earlier just go easy as sometimes with all the hammering and vibrations you can end up loosening the plaster around where you have chased. Also put the cables in trunking or protecive channelling plastic or metal tac it in with some clout nails and plaster over with either a suitable filler or plaster remember to pva the whole area first so that the plaster/filler will bond and not crack. Are you planning to use bacboxes and brush plates for the cables to come out the wall? Use 35mm bacboxes or even 47mm if you have lots of cables if you do go this route.
  17. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    think hammer and chiesel might be the best way

yeah ive got 2 brush wall plates, both singles (2 HDMI, Cat5, Co-ax)

i need to go the entire height of the wall as my cat5 is run around the loft and my ariel

also my dad just confirmed that the entire wall is brick, so i do have my work cut out for me

pva the area?
  18. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Yes you have if you have to cut into the bric but that depends on how thick your plaster is but you really want to get it deep enough to get a minimum of 3-5mm filler/plaster ontop after your cables go in. After you have finished the chasing and have got your cables in the wall whether or not you go for capping/trunking (i would recommend as it protect the cables and if you put in sufficently big enough trunking you can add and remove wires with very little effort). You will need to use some diluted pva over the trunking and especially on the edges of the chase where it meets the existing plaster. this seals the dust and helps the plaster adhere to the area which will prevent cracking. If you use trunking/plastic capping you can rough up the top with a piece of sand paper to give a key to the surface which will help the plaster bond to it if its only a thin coat.

James
  19. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    i will be putting some trucking in, i have to just to keep it all safe and secure

ahh i see what you mean, well im going shopping in the morning for the bits so ill bare this in mind

although i have no idea how thick the plaster is, guess ill soon find out

cheers
  20. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    If you need any more info/advice, just ask
    Regards
    James
  21. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    well just started chasing the wall, behind the plaster i appear to have breeze blocks, grey coloured seems very soft

do i need special fixings to mount the tv on this type of wall?
  22. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Sounds like it could be thermolite blocks post a pic and i'll confirm. But if you can poke a screwdriver into it fairly easily then they are sure to be. Good news if they are as chasing will be a lot easier and for fixing the tv i would use some longish frame fixer type screws which will be fine or you could use rigifix which were designed for dot and dab but perform well in most substrates. When drilling make sure you use the right size bit infact might be better to go one smaller and dont use hammer as you won't need it. There are other things you could do such as resin fixings but i wouldnt bother too much as i am sure this will suffice. Just make sure you get plenty of fixing points. Heres a link to rigifix: Rigifix Drywall Anchor M8 Pack of 4 | Screwfix.com

Also, If it is thermolite blocks a tip for chasing is mark out on the wall and get a hand saw (not your best one it will blunt the hell out of it) and saw up the lines you want to chase this way you will get a nice clean chase and wont damge the plaster around. Then just knock out the area in between you can use a chisel or screwdriver/ old chisel as thermolite are soft you wont need much hammering. You can fix capping/ trunking in with nails/ screws and plugs or use a grab adhesive on the back such as sticks like ****

(Apologies Iccz: wasn't aware of this however, it is the name of the product (http://www.screwfix.com/p/sticks-like-sh-t-290ml-white/22070) Won't happen again.

James
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  23. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    just uploading a few photos now..
  24. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  25. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Yep they're thermolite blocks
  26. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ahh sweet, not very thick ive already damaged the the wall on the otherside, doubles my work now i have to repair my parents room as well :S
  27. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Yeh your better off using a hand saw it will be less destructive. Use the front of the saw to get started and you should be able to go up the line go to the depth you want sounds like it may only be single skin tho (1 block thick) so dont go too deep. Did you buy trunking etc? what thickness is it? add 3-5 mm on and thats your thickness. The just use a large flat head screwdriver or something to knock out the middle and you can scrape back and high spots with a chisel or i find an old wood chisel does the job.
  28. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    yeah im gonna try the saw now, yes i bought trunking 40x16mm

ive gone about 30mm in, too much?
  29. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    I wouldn't go any deeper lol , if its around 30mm then you could have used 25mm deep trunking which might make things easier depending on how mnay cables you need to put in etc. 30mm -16mm is 14mm so thats how much filler you will have to put on top. Bare in mind this may take a while to dry and also from your pics you have gone for ready mix filler so follow the instructions on the tub about how thick it maybe as you to apply more than one coat and build i up in layers. Also best not to try and do it all in one go as you wont get it perfect first time i would go for a minium of two hits to get a god finish.

James

P.S. looks liek you've got a busy weekend ahead of you :p

Have fun!!:thumbsup:
  30. happpzzz

happpzzz Member

Ratings:
    +4
    hmmm might go back and get somemore

ahh yeah filler work will be a pain

cheers :D