Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First House - Advice, Feedback and Input appreciated!

Discussion in 'Members' Home Cinema Gallery' started by Dan Baker, Jun 6, 2010.

1. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    This looks stunning! one of the best on the forums over the last year, without doubt. Just think back to when the idea was born, all the research, etc. It proves that when you are prepared to put the effort in, the rewards are massive.
    I love everything about this setup, the room, projector, tv, furniture and the XBMC.

The suite looks brilliant as does the table. I could go on and on, the workmanship is first class and a credit to you. Its just nice to know when reading that I had a little input into this brilliant setup.

I am getting upgradeitis after seeing this!

Well done Danb, you must be chuffed to bits...

Phil.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Bizness

Bizness Member

Ratings:
    +211
    Absolutely excellent. Elegant, clean, love it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. INXS

INXS Member

Ratings:
    +30
    just read this through in it's entirety.

so, this is my one and only contribution to the thread.

Having gone through a bit of a structural re-build/nightmare myself in order to get my AV set-up just right ... I know JUST what you've gone through!

The only difference with me is that we removed the whole chimney from behind the fire upwards. Hence, a century's worth of soot and filth had to be cleared, as well.

However, the stairs we have going up to the dormer are spot-on, the storage area underneath is great for accessing cables / conduits etc ... and the LG TV is nice & central.

Speaker cables, HDMI's, opticals and SCART are all hidden away, so the major 'I want' box is ticked off .... keeping the missus happy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    so well done, mate - I know what it takes!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. s_inman

s_inman Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Looks superb, lots of hard work gone in :D.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Seventy1

Seventy1 Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Brilliant transformation and your cat is too cute.

Yes, I'm a cat person :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Active Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Cheers much appreciated :smashin:

Thanks mate appreciate your support throughout, give me a shout if you need any help!

Thanks Phil I am chuffed and the feedback and response from people on here and my family and friends has been awesome!

Once again thanks for all your help and support. I also completely agree research and patience has been the key here for me.

I reckon once you get a HTPC you'll be all set can't think of anything else you need to do for your set-up.

:thumbsup:

Cheers Biz :smashin:

Big transformation there mate nice one and thanks for your comments!

Thanks inman much appreciated!

Thanks she is pretty adorable but also a pain in the ass when she need to be. Wouldn't be home without her though!

Thanks for your comments :thumbsup:
  7. knefas

knefas Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Congratulations, it looks really amazing, especially the screen. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. kyl3b

kyl3b Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Superb. Really neat set up.

Can I ask where you got the lamp from? (May have already been asked but it's a mammoth thread to go through! :))

Also, to hijack a little - INXS where did you get the ceiling fan from in your last picture?

Cheers guys! :)
  9. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Active Member

Ratings:
    +435
    I got the lamp from a local shop in Bournemouth but they do them in store at furniture village and also here.

Cheers for the comments!
  10. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish Member

Ratings:
    +222
    Excelent finish Dan, dim the lights sit back and enjoy you deserve it dude. 5 stars all the way:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Daddy k

Daddy k Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +537
    Just my kind of look, all nice and white.

Im just completing my all white svs cylinder sub then ill post pics of my lot
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Active Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Well no major updates to the lounge to report except to say I've watched a number of films now and I love it! :thumbsup:

Have done a couple of other bits I'd thought I'd share though,

[​IMG]

TV in bedroom now has access to my XBMC library also I've done this by running two lengths of CAT6 from the office up through the loft and into the bedroom. I'm then using a HDMI over CAT6 extender to connect the TV to the office PC and effectively use it as a monitor. When I want to go back to using the PC I just have to unplug from the TV.

[​IMG]

Bit of cable tie work needed!

[​IMG]

This is the Logitech diNovo Mini that runs over Bluetooth which I use to control it from the comfort of my bed!

And finally here is the latest edition to the AV family,

[​IMG]

Yep I've dived into the wonderful world of NAS this is a QNAP TS-412 and it now used to store and stream my films, TV shows and music. It currently has 7tb's of storage but could go up to 12tb if I put in the new 3tb drives. Its a nice bit of kit and it's got very low power consumption so it's left on all the time and really saves the hassle of having to switch on the main PC every time I want to watch a film.

Cheers,
    Dan.
  13. zag2me

zag2me Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Great finished setup.

Very much into my htpcs and storage so might check out that nas. Still a little expensive for what it is though.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. alz2605

alz2605 Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    I see you've got Aeon MQ 2 2.7.0 as your XBMC skin the same as me :D

Yep after you recommended XBMC to me many months ago I finally made the switch after converting all my Bluray ISO's to MKV's.

Now that QNAP looks interesting. Not the cheapest of things though :eek:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    This is the Logitech diNovo Mini that runs over Bluetooth which I use to control it from the comfort of my bed!

Thats the next bit of kit on my list along with the XBMC, just love the presenation of it.

Looking superb as ever Dan.

Phil.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Active Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Cheers Zag and yes I agree not cheap but given the amount I plan to use it I think it will be worth it.

Hello Alz long time no speak, how is the house hunting going?

Yep I've moved onto Aeon MQ 2 cause it's being updated so much and I like the fact you can easily see which movies are bluray and which are dvd by the cases. Trouble is it runs a little slow on my Revo but I've got an SSD waiting to go in which I hope will do the trick :smashin:

Must have been a long process converting to MKV's but I bet your grateful of the extra storage! Hope your getting on well with XMBC. If there's anything you think I can help with let me know.

The QNAP is great really pleased with it so far but agreed not the cheapest especially when you have to add the drive on top. But it's one of the leading brands and its a pretty new model so there are cheaper alternatives. The TS-410 for instance is slightly lower spec'd but a lot cheaper. There is also the HP Microserver which there is a £100 cash back deal going on. I went with this though as it's a little more idiot proof than the HP :laugh: Loads of info on the NAS forums on here that helped me out.

Any questions give me a shout and I'll do my best.

Cheers,
    Dan.
  17. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Active Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Cheers Phil I'd definitely recommend the Logitech bit pricey but I picked mine up second hand on here so got a bit of a discount.

I know the HTPC/XBMC is way down on your priority list at the moment but when you do pick up on it give me a shout when you need a hand :smashin:

Cheers,
    Dan.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. THE_FORCE

THE_FORCE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,375
    I seem to lose track of what threads I've commented on, but Dan I'm sure I posted on here, yet I can't seem to find it ? :confused:

Hmmm oh well just wanted to say what fantastic taste you have ! Really does look ultra classy throughout the gaf. Loads of design ideas in here for anyone thinking of what to do with their rooms. Looks lovely mate.

Nice one ! :smashin:

Talking of good taste - Daddy....if you're reading this - when are you going to bless us with some pics of your new establishment lol ? :D

For anyone that hasn't seen Daddy's previous pics then you should check his thread out - another fella with extremely good taste. Can't wait to see what you've done with your 'all white' set up mate. Pics please ! :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. The SMF

The SMF Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    awesome thread :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. norfbech

norfbech Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Dan - stirling job. Haven't posted on here for some time and I haven't read the whole thread, but caught the before and after images and I'm very impressed.
    We've been house hunting for some time but several have fallen through for various reasons...it's a head tester this game! We'd pinpointed one strong possibility, much of the work already done to a pretty good standard (you could simply move in and not worry about the original '70's vibe' you get with some houses. We were close to putting in our final offer (this is still on the cards) when late one night another property came up - much more space (and space to extend to the side and in the loft whereas the other was strictly limited (shared drive). Both 1930's - 1950's semis. We viewed this two days ago...I thought I would be able to see through all the 'mess' and old fashioned nature of the property (the light fittings looked like 1960's; there are plenty of cracks; leaking kitchen ceiling from flat roof above et al!) but I had a crisis of faith...I lost my bottle. When I see refurbs like your own I'm suddenly revitalised - I think this is why this forum is a bit of an inspiration (as well as a fountain of knowledge). It might be a pretty big job to take on (we are a family of 5 which makes it a little bit trickier) but I think longer term it will definitely be worth the while.
    I'm sure I'll be on this forum in a snap should we go ahead (and the building survey doesn't reveal any serious gremlins)...I'll turn my mindset 180 degrees and read through yours and others threads now...seeing through that chaotic decor which dented my OCD somewhat :)

Cheers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Active Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Hi mate, definitely your first post on my thread and it's an honour to get THE_FORCE stamp of approval. I along with many others I'm sure took a lot of inspiration from your thread to try and do something a bit different and feel like I've achieved it (although I'm still constantly thinking of tweaks to make!)

Cheers mate!

Thanks I've taken a lot from these forums so I kept the thread in the hopes it would help others going on a similar journey. I really believe if I can do this anyone can providing you can be patient with it.

I'm a big believer in whatever house you find you'll always want to make changes and for me the lounge is the main room so I was more than happy to strip it back and start afresh.

Look forward to seeing a thread from you and give me a shout if you think I can help with anything. I've learnt a fair bit over the last few months :smashin:

Cheers,
    Dan.
  22. richsmif

richsmif Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I enjoyed reading that....Glad to see you ripped everything to pieces just like i did!....check out my living room....simular to yours.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. mark_curd

mark_curd Member

Ratings:
    +17
    WOW! taken me a while to read though all the posts. Amazing work! Looks Superb! Love everything about it. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Active Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Cheers Rich am keeping an eye on your thread and really impressed with what I've seen so far!

Thanks Mark much appreciated!
  25. adam81

adam81 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    This is awesome.. I like this one a lot. My house is currently going through so then I can put my fake chimmney breast in. In years to come everyhouse you look to buy will have these " AV chimmney breasts" in the house.

Looked through the thread a couple of times but must have missed it...What speakers did you put in the front? Looks neat although I still prefer my speakers to look like speakers as it were..
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Nicotine

Nicotine Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i love the sofa, where did u get it from?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Dan Baker

Dan Baker Active Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Thanks Adam very kind of you to comment, they are KEF Ci200.3QS mate designed especially to be mounted in wall.

I agree I personally really like big upright speakers but the missus gave me pretty much a free ticket to do what I wanted provided the room was a lounge first and cinema room second. Which it why I have tried my best to keep everything flush and minimalistic.

If I manage to afford a bigger house when I'm older and I can do a dedicated room the set-up will certainly be different!

Thanks it's from Furniture Village mate.
  28. blincoe73

blincoe73 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Just read this thread. Love the build, so clean and sharp
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Ruskio

Ruskio Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Inspiring work, exactly to my taste :smashin:

Hoping to get a Q-NAP in my place too once it's done :cool:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    Its about time you updated a few more pics Dab, you ain't been on for a while...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1