Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical Fidelity A370

Discussion in 'Audio Processors & Power Amps' started by conman, Aug 1, 2008.

1. conman

conman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I am going to need some quick advice and comment please...:lease:

I spot a MF A370 on the ebay for 499 from LintoneAudio. This might go up (bidding process).

I will be using this to power up my 804s.
    It is about 18 yrs old. only have phonos into. It is big and heavy.

48.5 cm wide (at widest point which is front panel)
    33 cm high
    31.5 cm deep (from front panel to rear panel)
    38 cm deep (if you include the handles on the front and sockets on the rear)
    about 30 kg.

I dont know much about the amp and can judge if they will sound good and efficient.

it is rated at 185 watts x 2 pure class A

Just wonder if there is any pro or con about buying this amp.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Basically these are superb sounding old beasts.

Very heavy,very hot running(so do be prepared for both the heat and the electricity bill).

There have been problems with both output stages and caps but AFAIK these can be repaired and Musical Fidelity may be worth a call for that beforehand.

Paralleled MOSFET out transistors which would explain the smooth and softish overall sound.

Only other thing I would say is that internally,these are not the tidiest amps in the world.

They generally fetch between £700-900 depending on condition and model.

I know a few people who've had them and apart from the heat and the weight,the general feedback is very good.

The earlier Mk1 runs hotter than the Mk2,and the true Class A rating is lower than the maximum rated power,suggesting that whilst heavily Class biassed,it does not run in Class A up to 185W unlike many of the similar vintage Krells,which are true Class A designs up to their rated power.
  3. conman

conman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    How hot it can be? 60 C?

in terms of power consumption, how bad it could be... how much does it eat the electricity? perhaps in terms of watt or pounds/ hr.

Would it be worth considering the Musical fidelity A5 or Krell 400xi over it?

BTW... auction ends in 4 hrs..... tick tock...
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    OK....as a rough guide Class A equates to about 20-25% efficiency,so for a full 100W Class A design like my Krells you're looking at 500W/channel standing dissipation,and fan cooling.

The A370 is not fan cooled and doesnt have particularly massive heatsinking as say the Krell KSA80 had,in an effort to get away without fans.
    Some web sources suggest the true Class A rating of the A370 is lower,hence this and my previous comments,but still going to be substantial usage.

The A370 runs at about 50-70C so it does get pretty warm.

Both of the other amps are very worthy,and the 400Xi is a proper 200 W/channel design although not Class A.
    It outputs consistently more than rated power in all of the tests I've seen and frankly would be where my money would go....I know that probably doesnt help!
  5. conman

conman Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Just to keep you all post it... i did not get the amp and it went for 510 and 60 pp.